Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flobunny

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
I am willing to bet the high number of false triggers w/ the apple watch have nothing to do with "Hey Siri", but rather the digital crown constantly getting accidentally depressed due to its placement on the device. This has been a frustrating design flaw of the watch since its launch; but hey form over function, right?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Apple made it pretty clear that Siri is anonymized - contractors absolutely should not be able to see "contact details" of whoever the recording is from. This would be huge if that were the case, which I find hard to believe. If names and addresses are referenced separately then what does "contact details" even entail?
You’re assuming Apple is being completely truthful. I trust no corporation.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Apple made it pretty clear that Siri is anonymized - contractors absolutely should not be able to see "contact details" of whoever the recording is from. This would be huge if that were the case, which I find hard to believe. If names and addresses are referenced separately then what does "contact details" even entail?

The contractor's statements seem deliberately elusive. all the statements made could be in compliance with Apple's statements. If they are not, the "whistleblower" (or headline grabber, if he is not being completely honest), should state that location data is associated with Appleid, which he carefully does not say. If the recordings may include someone's use of a name, well what do you expect with voice assistants? They do have to listen to requests. And what does "app data" mean? Why so deliberately vague?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
So this is an anecdote from a single contractor...

Without any actual evidence, this sort of nonsense should be ignored and a reputable journalist shouldn’t even report it; but these days they’ll do anything for attention.

oxymoron, reputable journalist? surely I kid, there are many

jazstudio

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
That is concerning. No one should be listening in on private conversations. Who knows what else this "whistleblower" heard and relayed as a joke to friends and family.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Lol would love to see what users defending Apple here had to say when MacRumors posted about Amazon and Google employees listening in.

So basically Apple does exactly what Amazon and Google does- listen. Whodathunk the only way to improve recognition is to have a human grade it.

if you think that, you are not paying attention. I would like to know why the contractor is being so cagey. is location attributed to Appleid, phone number, or other identifying info? Apple says no, contractor says (well we don't know what he says, because he doesn't actually say it). Is the customer info perhaps just names that people might say? What is app data? Let's get enough facts to actually draw a conclusion, before we draw a conclusion.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
One problem here is a rogue individual.

The corporation doesn’t need to do anything further wrong for one nut job to use this maliciously.

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I’ve noticed that when I say “I see” it triggers Hey Siri but then revises the on screen Siri text to say “I see”. I can understand that it may take additional processing to make that revision, but it should delete any recording automatically once the system detected that I did not actually say “Hey Siri”

Reactions: Hi Tek and Mactendo

Stevez67

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2016
Iowa
That is concerning. No one should be listening in on private conversations. Who knows what else this "whistleblower" heard and relayed as a joke to friends and family.
Without a real person at some point listening and scoring the accuracy of a virtual voice assistant, how does a company monitor performance and improve the product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.