Controlling Firefox Search Engines in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Huntn, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm running Windows 7 via Bootcamp and Firefox. I've noticed that the Windows Firefox insists on using the Snap.do search engine even when I click on "manage search engines" up in the search box and have erased it and all search engines except for google. This is irritating.

How do I get rid of Snap.do?
    Thanks!

2. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

3. Huntn, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For those interested in Windows Anti-Virus, I found that Microsoft Security Essentials, a free Anti-virus program does not detect the kinds of malware such as snap.do. After taking steps to remove snap.do, I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes, which found a virus called Security Hijack which may be associated with snap.do, because it causes your browser to be redirected, according to the link, to steal your money. I ran Maywarebytes once and removed it. I'll run it again today and see if my Windows partition is clean.

I'm thinking about purchasing an Antivirus that also covers Malware compatible with both PC and Mac. What do you guys use?

For clarification all of the important stuff I do is on my Mac. I'm in Windows just to game and sometimes that involves purchases so it's important for me that Windows be protected.

4. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

I use Security Essentials. It hasn't failed me, yet. Now, at work, we have a full-on paid solution. I've seen more viruses slip through with it than with MSE. Vigilance, safe browsing habits, and keeping Java, etc. up-to-date (or not installed) are a better use of resources. Malwarebytes and autoruns (by SysInternals) are good tools to clean if something happens, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the off chance that you might get another drive-by.

AVG and Avast are also good free solutions. If you're unhappy with MS, you might look at those before you go spend any money.