Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
So I've been dying for a Mac for ages, but I just don't know how to bring it up with my Parents, my father especially. If you could maybe help me with a few conversation starters that would work out in my favor please post them here.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone replies, MM:cool:

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
This was my conversation starter..

"Where are the coin rolls?"

"Why?"

"I am going to roll coins, sell my dell laptop, and my PS2 and buy a Macbook."

"Oh...ok."

haha

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2006
So I've been dying for a Mac for ages, but I just don't know how to bring it up with my Parents, my father especially. If you could maybe help me with a few conversation starters that would work out in my favor please post them here.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone replies, MM:cool:

it was easy for me, it was required for my major at school. if your in college you might try that? less chance of a virus?

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
it was easy for me, it was required for my major at school. if your in college you might try that? less chance of a virus?
Unfortunately for me I'm not quite to college yet.:p
I don't want to start an argument though no matter how funny some replies have been :p .
If I could get a job I would have already gotten a Mac long ago and not continue to suffer with a 5 YEAR OLD PC!
Maybe it would help if I added a little background info?
I desprately wanted a Macintosh of some kind so I had a few months ago spontaenisously written a letter describing the advanteges of a Macintosh. Bad news: He didn't buy it. I dropped the subject and have not brought it up since.
However after doing Christmas shopping at CompUSA and messing with the MacBook I feel as though it is time to try again. That is why I have started this rather long thread and post (sorry :eek: :eek: )

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you- how much does a polar bear weigh
other person - i don't know
you - enough to break the ice....[shake hand] hi i'm (insert name)

o wait... ummm "my dell computer sucks... "

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I would recommend going this route:

polls2.gif

Then mention that a new MacBook would bring him up in the polls!

applecrag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2004
bust up that old pc and tell them you need a new one :D

no really, have you tried talking to your dad and asking him what it would take to get a macbook? maybe a year without allowance or something or doing some chore for him that you wouldnt normally do. also look around to see if you have anything of value you can sell...and correct me if im wrong but arent the refurbished 1st gen core duo macbooks a lot cheaper than the new ones? if so look into maybe getting one of those

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I'd start by selling some stuff you already own getting a relatively old Mac from eBay (like an iMac G4 or something) just to tide you over, then explain to your parents why you need a more recent Mac (i.e. what software do you need to run, what your family would gain from having access to iLife etc). You should also have thought about where in the household your older Mac would be useful - kitchen for your parents to listen to music, download recipes?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
or you could sell your old computer/save up and tell them you will pay a percentage of the Mac if they cover the rest.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
bust up that old pc and tell them you need a new one :D

no really, have you tried talking to your dad and asking him what it would take to get a macbook? maybe a year without allowance or something or doing some chore for him that you wouldnt normally do. also look around to see if you have anything of value you can sell...and correct me if im wrong but arent the refurbished 1st gen core duo macbooks a lot cheaper than the new ones? if so look into maybe getting one of those
Yeah I was really looking at the CD refurbs because if I can convince him he could order one with a Govt. discount for 799.00.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
How about you say "Hey Dad, I've been looking at Macs and I think a Mac would really fit my needs." Having a catalog will help, as you can point things out and get him looking at them.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
How about:

"My sister and I have decided to switch to [insert name of political party, religion, sexual orientation, or racial dating preference that would most shock your father here], but if you buy me a Mac, I promise to talk my sister out of it."

If you don't have a sister, just substitute mom instead.

If you dad is pretty open-minded about those things....then boy are you lucky.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
How about:

"My sister and I have decided to switch to [insert name of political party, religion, sexual orientation, or racial dating preference that would most shock your father here], but if you buy me a Mac, I promise to talk my sister out of it."

If you don't have a sister, just substitute mom instead.

If you dad is pretty open-minded about those things....then boy are you lucky.
No sister. :p
My dad is not very open minded, it took me ages for him to even get me an iPod! He wanted to get a Creative Player. I'm glad he didn't because I like the security that Apple will still be around for a while yet.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
How about you say "Hey Dad, I've been looking at Macs and I think a Mac would really fit my needs." Having a catalog will help, as you can point things out and get him looking at them.
Itasor I really like your suggestion. It is great but I don't have anything other than the MacBook Pages from Apple's site and the Pages from the Apple Refurb site.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I've been dying for a Mac for ages, but I just don't know how to bring it up with my Parents, my father especially....:

My son wants a car. I told him "OK. You can have a what ever car you want, just go buy one." And then I told him he should think about the cost of insurance, gas and maintenance which will run to a few kilo-bucks per year.

Seriously about the mac. The argument "I's better" does not cut it. You have to say "I need to do X and the present computer can't do X and X is so impotent you should spend $2,000 right now." Or the one that works every time: "The computer smoked and is not economically repairable. We need a replacement. Let's get a iMacbook. It will take up less space, make less noise." It's very hard to get people to spend $$ to replace something that works.

Kind of look to me like you may have to buy a Mac yourself.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Format C:/*** or something similar to that used to work wonders in DOS. A guy in work did it once as the new IT girl was a bit saucy. She was at his desk for hours trying to work out what happened. He went home a happy man.

Something along the following lines
"Dad, pc's dead"
"What did you do to it"
"I don't know, but I can't fix it. You try."
"I can't do anything with it. Where are the reinstall discs?"
"Our cat/dog/sister/gerbil **** on them and they're wrecked"
"Any idea what happened?"
"Probably a virus. We need a new one. Macs don't have viruses"

Once it's done, reinstall the OS on the pc and flog it on to some poor sap.

*** I need hardly stress the imporatnce of backing up before doing this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.