Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I just purchased a PowerBook to have at work as my personal machine, and I have to say, the PowerBook G4 keyboard is amazing! It is so superior to the chicklet keyboards. The action feels nice, the material feels soft and smooth. There as smaller gaps between keys, it is just amazing to type on. Why did Apple make the move to the new-style keyboards? I think it was a mistake!

On a similar note, I also have an Apple Extended Keyboard Keyboard 2 (beige, ADB, mechanical keys) with a build in ADB to USB adapter so it works on any new machine via USB. This keyboard is also superior to the new Apple aluminum keyboards in my opinion.

So, apparently, I'm adverse to chicklet keys... What about you, what keyboards do you like to use?

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I just purchased a PowerBook to have at work as my personal machine, and I have to say, the PowerBook G4 keyboard is amazing! It is so superior to the chicklet keyboards. The action feels nice, the material feels soft and smooth. There as smaller gaps between keys, it is just amazing to type on. Why did Apple make the move to the new-style keyboards? I think it was a mistake!

On a similar note, I also have an Apple Extended Keyboard Keyboard 2 (beige, ADB, mechanical keys) with a build in ADB to USB adapter so it works on any new machine via USB. This keyboard is also superior to the new Apple aluminum keyboards in my opinion.

So, apparently, I'm adverse to chicklet keys... What about you, what keyboards do you like to use?

I strongly agree that the PowerBook G4 keyboard has a much nicer feel than the newer ones. My PBG4 12" is the ultimate typing machine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I prefer this keyboard (Apple) for all of my Macs, regardless of the year they were made. It's a full sized keyboard and has great feedback.

M7803.jpg

That said, I used this keyboard for 8 years with the G5 at work. That particular keyboard even has depressions in the spacebar and command key and a couple of grooves where my fingernails sliced plastic keys. However, I dislike this keyboard because it is just one big collection device for the detritus and cruft that we all generate over time using our computers.

661-3800.jpg

I am using this keyboard at work because it came with the MacPro. It took some getting use to and I am ambivalent about it.

MB110LL

This keyboard is an abomination and came with the G3s and early G4s. Jony Ive should have been taken out and shot over it if not over the other abomination he created - the hockeypuck mouse. Apple was shooting for minimalism and ended up shooting themselves in the foot on this one.
apple_gen1imackeyboard.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use an AluBoard at home with my G5/Cinema Display setup just because it matches. Does that make me vain? :rolleyes:
No. Just confused.

The G5s came with the white keyboards. They match. Because Apple shipped the G5s with them. See. :D

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
No. Just confused.

The G5s came with the white keyboards. They match. Because Apple shipped the G5s with them. See. :D

Boom! Fact bomb! :eek:

Although I actually meant "matching" in terms of aesthetics, not period. Had a feeling you'd call me on that given your predilection for period-appropriate setups :rolleyes:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have cleaned 3 of those Apple Pro keyboards (the detritus magnets). They are a bit of pain to dismantle but quite solidly built for a relatively modern keyboard.

I will be picking up one of the Apple keyboards in your first picture this weekend. It will be interesting to see how they compare as up to now I only have the Pro or newer.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Boom! Fact bomb! :eek:

Although I actually meant "matching" in terms of aesthetics, not period. Had a feeling you'd call me on that given your predilection for period-appropriate setups :rolleyes:
LOL. I know what you meant. I was just tongue-in-cheek joking because Apple has that way of giving you what IT wants and telling you that you want it that way.

Hence, in Apple's mind, white keyboards matched the G5s - just because Apple shipped them with the G5s. Never mind that the aluminum keyboards, which actually DO match, came out a short time later.

----------

I have cleaned 3 of those Apple Pro keyboards (the detritus magnets). They are a bit of pain to dismantle but quite solidly built for a relatively modern keyboard.

I will be picking up one of the Apple keyboards in your first picture this weekend. It will be interesting to see how they compare as up to now I only have the Pro or newer.
If you were meaning me, then you are in for a pleasant surprise. Those keyboards were Apple's response to the public tongue-lashing they were getting over the crappy chiclet keyboards.

Using those old chiclet ones you can FEEL your fingers cramping up.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
California
I use an AluBoard at home with my G5/Cinema Display setup just because it matches. Does that make me vain? :rolleyes:

I understand. Even though I prefer the mechanical clicking and clacking, I use the aluminum keyboard on my MacPro at home too because it "matches" the computer and the Cinema Display... Darned aesthetics getting in the way again!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The chiclet style keyboards on modern computers do not make me like or dislike them. My MacBook Pro and HP Chromebook 11 have them and they do the job. My absolute favorite is on my Lenovo ThinkPad T60 and T400 which are absolutely great followed by my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4. I had a 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 but I absolutely hated the feel and sound compared to my 1.67. Since I did not like the keyboard, it was rather beaten up (I bought it as a parts machine), and the fact that the logic board had issues made me sell it off to Best Buy for $125.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
My absolute favorite is on my Lenovo ThinkPad T60 and T400 which are absolutely great followed by my 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4. I had a 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 but I absolutely hated the feel and sound compared to my 1.67.

My T61 runs Lion very nicely, indeed :D. Those Thinkpad keyboards set the standard for every notebook. Not sure I understand the difference between your final two PBs. The electronics on both (if your 1.67 is a DLSD) are different but surely the mechanics of both keyboards are identical?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm actually okay with Chiclet keyboards, although they are not my favorites.

I've been using AEKIIs pretty heavily the last few months and like them, although some are better than others(there were three or four different switch types used) and rebuilding switches has become a regular occurrence. It also generally takes me a few minutes to get use to one, as they have some quirks like the "nubs" being on D and K rather than F and J.

Over the past two weeks or so, I've turned into a buckling spring snob :) . I can honestly type faster and more accurately on a Model M(or derivative) than I can anything else. I love it too that I can literally walk into the Unicomp factory and buy one-or buy parts for one(it helps when you live one town away). I did just that last week. I'd use it on my work computer if it weren't for the fact that I was getting death threats over the noise :)

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Laptops:
1) PowerBook G4 Aluminum
2) ThinkPad :D (Who says I can't add a PC. EDIT: I see someone beat me to it)
3) Chicklet
4) Springy, smelly, prone to break, iBook/TiBook/PBG3 keyboards. The iBook G3 especially. Nothing like hitting the key and the wrong angle and having the scissor mechanism bind up... such an unpleasant feeling and sound.

Desktop:
1) Chicklet by far
2) White Apple Keyboard
3) Apple Pro Keyboard
4) G3 Keyboard... too small

Mouse: (I've actually never really liked any of the Apple mice TBH aside from the trackpad)
1) Magic Trackpad :cool:
2) Mighty Mouse
3) Apple Pro Mouse
4) Magic Mouse
5) Hockey Puck

Idea:
The Al PB G4 keyboards connect via internal ADB right? Has anyone tried to convert a PB keyboard to an external keyboard? Interesting idea eh?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Laptops:
1) PowerBook G4 Aluminum
2) ThinkPad :D (Who says I can't add a PC. EDIT: I see someone beat me to it)
3) Chicklet
4) Springy, smelly, prone to break, iBook/TiBook/PBG3 keyboards. The iBook G3 especially. Nothing like hitting the key and the wrong angle and having the scissor mechanism bind up... such an unpleasant feeling and sound.

Idea:
The Al PB G4 keyboards connect via internal ADB right? Has anyone tried to convert a PB keyboard to an external keyboard? Interesting idea eh?

One #4 of your above list, I agree on the stinky iBook G3 keyboards, but I actually don't find the bronze Powerbook G3 keyboards that bad. I'm not bothered by the Ti keyboard either. To each their own, though, and I certainly can't argue with someone's preferences.

I think at least later Al keyboards were USB, along with the trackpad. Some of the early ones might have been ADB.

One last thing-IMO the mid-90s Appledesign rubber dome keyboard was probably the worst Apple has made.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
One #4 of your above list, I agree on the stinky iBook G3 keyboards, but I actually don't find the bronze Powerbook G3 keyboards that bad. I'm not bothered by the Ti keyboard either. To each their own, though, and I certainly can't argue with someone's preferences.

I think at least later Al keyboards were USB, along with the trackpad. Some of the early ones might have been ADB.

One last thing-IMO the mid-90s Appledesign rubber dome keyboard was probably the worst Apple has made.

I will agree the Powerbooks are > than the iBook keyboards, but they're still at the bottom of my list. But yes, to each his own.

I remember in elementary school having typing test on those god awful iMac G3 keyboards. Everyone complained that the keyboards were nothing like any keyboard they would ever use outside of school... we were kind of right.

By the way, if anyone know wheres to find a Hebrew Apple external keyboard... let me know.

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
I use three of the black/acrylic Apple Pro Keyboards for each of my three machines. Nothing else works as well or for so long.

I have one of the Aqua abomination keyboards that Erik described plugged into my PS3 for chatting. It works flawlessly for that. The extra long cord also helps when I want to recline in my chair and still chat.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My T61 runs Lion very nicely, indeed :D. Those Thinkpad keyboards set the standard for every notebook. Not sure I understand the difference between your final two PBs. The electronics on both (if your 1.67 is a DLSD) are different but surely the mechanics of both keyboards are identical?

I am not entirely sure if Apple went with different manufacturers for the keyboards similar to how IBM/Lenovo did with their ThinkPads. On most of the ThinkPads, you could get one of three different keyboard manufacturers, Alps, Chicony, and NMB. My T400 has an ALPS keyboard that I pulled off my T60 since I liked it so much. My 1.67 GHz PowerBook feels very close to this ALPS keyboard in overall sound and key travel, sensitivity, and springiness. The 1.5 GHz felt more like the original keyboard on my T400, which was an NMB. In terms of ThinkPads, the order is quite simple: 1. NMB 2. ALPS 3. Chicony! I am not sure if it is just a coincidence that the 1.67 has the same feel as my ThinkPad or not.

Since you got Lion on your T61, how is it running? Unfortunately, I kind of got screwed when it comes to OS X support on mine. I have a T60 with a Core Duo and Radeon X1400 which only supports SL and has a lot of mouse tearing from the poor GPU support and a T400 which is much more capable with its Core 2 Duo, but lacks all GPU support. PM me if you want to discuss OS X on a ThinkPad as I find it to be a really fun topic.

Last edited:

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Does anyone know a solution for fixing stuck keys on an Apple White keyboard? I cleaned my old keyboard yesterday so I can use it with my PM G4 and I discovered the E key can be hard to press unless I press it right in the middle. If I press it from the edge or from the corners the key gets stuck. I wonder if lubricating the plastic plungers would help.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Mouse: (I've actually never really liked any of the Apple mice TBH aside from the trackpad)
1) Magic Trackpad :cool:
2) Mighty Mouse
3) Apple Pro Mouse
4) Magic Mouse
5) Hockey Puck

I don't see how the Magic Mouse can be placed below the Pro Mouse, considering the Pro Mouse has no right-cick or scrolling functionality whatsoever. As for the Mighty Mouse, I've had problems with right-click depending on where my fingers are placed on the mouse, and the scroll ball on my wireless Mighty Mouse stopped scrolling in one direction. I would put the Magic Mouse above it as well.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Re: The scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse.

This is one of my favorite mice. I've had this issue a few times. My resolution is to do one of two things. You can scroll the ball right or left for a few tries and then try scrolling again. Or press down hard on the ball and then scroll it in the direction it's not working in.

What happens is that the ball picks up oils from our fingers and loses contact. These methods I describe 'roughen' the ball up a little so contact is re-established.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've taken them apart and cleaned the complate scroll ball assembly. It's a little but fiddly, but you will be amazed at how much better it works. You will be equally amazed at how much crud you clean out.

Last edited:

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Re: The scroll ball on the Magic Mouse.

This is one of my favorite mice. I've had this issue a few times. My resolution is to do one of two things. You can scroll the ball right or left for a few tries and then try scrolling again. Or press down hard on the ball and then scroll it in the direction it's not working in.

What happens is that the ball picks up oils from our fingers and loses contact. These methods I describe 'roughen' the ball up a little so contact is re-established.

There comes a time when these cleaning procedures do not work anymore and the only thing one can do is to break open the mouse and clean the little rollers inside. It's not pretty. I absolutely loved the Mighty Mouse but after three damaged mice I had to move on.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There comes a time when these cleaning procedures do not work anymore and the only thing one can do is to break open the mouse and clean the little rollers inside. It's not pretty. I absolutely loved the Mighty Mouse but after three damaged mice I had to move on.
True. But for the work I do the Magic Mouse is too heavy, too bulky and too imprecise. I replace the Mighty Mouse at work when I have to with another Mighty Mouse.

By now they are very cheap on eBay. Last one I got was from a gamer in Texas that used it with his PC rig. Cost me $10 shipped.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well, my main keyboard is a Ducky Mini:
large_950_ducky_mini_05.jpg
Fully mechanical with Cherry MX Blues. For a while, I used my Apple Extended Keyboard, but now I'm sticking with my Ducky. My Apple Pro keyboard, is sadly falling apart.

This is really off topic, but the guy that gave me my PowerBook said that video editing was moving back to desktops (this was late 2009, early 2010). I went to his house approximately five months ago, and guess what his editing rig was. A 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.