Convert .mkv video to .avi (or DVD)

carteriusmax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Is there an application for the Mac that will convert .mkv video to .avi or to DVD? I have something that I want to burn using Toast Titanium 8 and Toast doesn't recognize .mkv files. HELP, PLEASE!!!!

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
The Perian plug-in is supposed to let you open these files in Quicktime. I don't have have any .mkv files so I can't confirm if it works or not. If it does work, then you should be able to burn a DVD directly from Toast or any other app that can read Quicktime video files.

http://perian.org/

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i never new vlc can encode to diff format.i thought it was just a media player.
it does everything except rub your tummy.

The Perian plug-in is supposed to let you open these files in Quicktime. I don't have have any .mkv files so I can't confirm if it works or not. If it does work, then you should be able to burn a DVD directly from Toast or any other app that can read Quicktime video files.

http://perian.org/
however, VLC's the best to use, because QT just bloats. I've noticed Matroska files just work much better in VLC. and it's not like my computer's old... :rolleyes:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How do you get it to read mkv files? Mine says invalid file type.
Get the newest version of Handbrake and it should work, but .avi was taken out as a container, so .mp4 ist the only other choice I think. You could then use MPEG Streamclip though.

If not, open the .mkv file in Movist and see what it says under Control Panel (OPTION/ALT+CM+C) > Properties > video codec.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Get the newest version of Handbrake and it should work, but .avi was taken out as a container, so .mp4 ist the only other choice I think. You could then use MPEG Streamclip though.

If not, open the .mkv file in Movist and see what it says under Control Panel (OPTION/ALT+CM+C) > Properties > video codec.
OK now what? I changed the extension to .mp4 but my xbox still wouldn't play it.

Attachments

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
So you did use Handbrake to transcode the .mkv file to an .mp4 file using the H264 codec?

Or did you just change the extension in Finder?

Maybe MRoogle can help you: mkv to xbox

XBox Video Playback FAQ
I just used finder. My computer, see sig, isn't the fastest. So i was hoping to find a way to convert mkv to a xbox compatible format with out re-encoding the file.

I've searched and searched.

Isn't mkv just a container file? Like zip, rar, etc.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Isn't mkv just a container file? Like zip, rar, etc.
.mkv is a container, like .avi or .mov or .mp4 or any other video and audio formats you can think of.

As you can't rename an .avi file to .mov just so you can play it in QuickTime, you just can't rename an .mkv file to .mp4, as zhey are different containers.

You also can't rename a .zip file to .rar just because you want to use an unrar utility.

One of the results of the MRoogle search I gave you, was about de-muxing .mk4 to .mp4 without transcoding. Maybe that can help, otherwise, you need to use Handbrake, as renaming file suffixes won't help.

(You can't make a .jpeg file out of a .tiff or .psd file, or make a .doc file out of a .pdf, conversions are there for a reason.)

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
search for the application "PS3 Media Server"

I use it for my xbox all the time. It decodes and streams .mkv to your xbox in real time, and from my experience works pretty well. Occasionally theres a slight audio delay with some 720p content contained in .mkv but not always, and its a lot better than not being able to play them at all.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
.mkv is a container, like .avi or .mov or .mp4 or any other video and audio formats you can think of.

As you can't rename an .avi file to .mov just so you can play it in QuickTime, you just can't rename an .mkv file to .mp4, as zhey are different containers.

You also can't rename a .zip file to .rar just because you want to use an unrar utility.

One of the results of the MRoogle search I gave you, was about de-muxing .mk4 to .mp4 without transcoding. Maybe that can help, otherwise, you need to use Handbrake, as renaming file suffixes won't help.

(You can't make a .jpeg file out of a .tiff or .psd file, or make a .doc file out of a .pdf, conversions are there for a reason.)
OK. I didn't think i could convert them on the fly in finder. But it was worth a try :rolleyes:

search for the application "PS3 Media Server"

I use it for my xbox all the time. It decodes and streams .mkv to your xbox in real time, and from my experience works pretty well. Occasionally theres a slight audio delay with some 720p content contained in .mkv but not always, and its a lot better than not being able to play them at all.
Do you know of a PPC, 10.4 version? I've searched but can't find one. I refuse to upgrade to leopard.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
handbrake wins hand down :D the latest update they released is AMAZING for file size v quality :) very impressed.

too bad it cant burn straight to DVDs!!

pottymouth

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Handbrake is the one to use

USE HANDBRAKE!!

I was needing to convert form .mkv to .m4v. Select your file and press convert. It really is that easy.

I am no computer wizard therefore i need something easy. This is the one!!!

Matt2K

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I have an I5 Macbook pro and Visualhub or iSquint isn't what it was on my old Core Duo. So i've replaced it with VideoMonkey. Its free, simple and very much like Visualhub.

doogiehauser

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
OK guys please just use handbrake. The new update is really great. Very easy and high quality converts! If you're like me and are converting anime to mp4 then just remember to add "english" under the subtitles tab!:)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
OK guys please just use handbrake. The new update is really great. Very easy and high quality converts! If you're like me and are converting anime to mp4 then just remember to add "english" under the subtitles tab!:)
Use MKVTools with video passthru, as it doesn't change the video quality.

Handbrake is a great app, but not the best if you have a MKV file since most iOS devices will play the remuxed MKV to mp4.

The best tool for the job requires knowing about the original video.

I know that this is an old thread but I hate when people recommend Handbrake when it is not the appropriate tool for the job.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
handbrake cant convert to avi or dvd, which is what the entire thread was about :confused:

i prefer toast/burn.app for going to dvd, works fine.