Convert to MP3 format?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bulldog VII, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Is it possible to convert my entire itunes collection of songs (about 8000) into MP3 format, without the original format still being there?

I was thinking about exporting the whole directory to an external hard drive & then reimporting them to convert.

I know I will lose a bit of the quality of the songs, but it wil make it easier for me to record CD Roms for my car?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you have a DVD writer, I would recommend making a backup (in iTunes preferences, change "burning" to "data CDs", then make a playlist of all your library, and burn it). That way you have a backup.

Then you can either import everything back, or just convert everything to MP3. Make a smart playlist containing everything that is not MP3, convert that playlist, then delete everything that isn't MP3.

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

It is possible.
    In your iTunes preferences, under the 'Advanced' tab, select 'Importing'.
    Now choose MP3, and your desired bit rate. Once that has been done, press 'OK'.
    Next, highlight all the songs you want to convert to MP3, and click on Advanced, and from that menu select 'Convert to MP3'.
    It will now start to convert. For 8000 songs, it could take days. As it converts each song, it will not delete the original, so when it finishes converting, just delete the old ones manually.
    The only problem with converting songs is that it will not transfer playcounts.