Carrier Convert to Verizon EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshwithachance, Sep 25, 2014.

1. joshwithachance, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

So I opened up a new account with Verizon for the 6 Plus but didn't want to try for EDGE in case it messed up shipping times, so went with a standard 2 year contract. I'm within my 14 day grace period and was wondering if any of you guys knew if it was possible to convert my plan over to the EDGE plan?

EDIT: So I took a trip to my local Verizon store to see if I would be eligible for the EDGE plan and turns out I was, and with no deposit! I had to "return" my phone (which was just a refund to my card really, nothing scanned) and the girl changed my account over to EDGE. She did have to call customer care to remove the 2 year contract so the system could process the account as EDGE instead. I'm so happy!

2. BeK, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

BeK macrumors regular

BeK

3. StarClout macrumors newbie

From Customer Service/Corp Store in area

If still in 14 days you can switch to EDGE from 2 year

You must turn in phone and all that came with it, pay $30 restock fee, etc

You must do this at store you bought from if purchased from store

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That information is now out-dated and incorrect. Do further research before blindly copying+pasting consumer electronics articles more than a few months old.

P.S. Your post did NOTHING to help the thread starter address the issue of his OP. Your opinions on this matter are irrelevant and unwarranted.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm not exactly sure about Edge, but in general, most wireless providers couldn't care less about which plan you have, as long as you stay with them for the duration of your contract.

Verizon's Edge FAQs:

6. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Thanks for your response! I did out the math and it actually becomes cheaper for me to stick with my 2 year agreement and $60 single line plan at the 12 month mark. Side note, I got my activation fee waived so that kind of gives me an incentive to stick with my contract. Just got my first (prorated) bill and it was only $69 after taxes.

On contract:
    $425 up front + $60/month x12 = ~$1145

On EDGE:
    $53 upfront (taxes) + $93/month x12 = $1169

7. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Remember you can't upgrade sooner than two years if you don't have EDGE. That's the advantage. The difference in your costs (~2%) is minimal.

8. Mrbert macrumors newbie

When you run your calculation you should calculate out to 24months. Keep in mind that the edge agreement is for 20 months then your bill is significantly lower as the cost of the device is no longer included from month 21-24.

The edge agreement seems to give the most value for multi line accounts tied to the 10GB More Everything Plan because of the $15 per line access fee compared to $40/line under standard 2year agreements. Without knowing the details of your current plan structure or needs we could only speculate about which plan would save you money.

9. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'm a single user so I'm the $60 2GB plan. With the phone and my plan, the cost over 2 years is $1,865.

On EDGE the cost over 2 years is $2,113.

But if I always upgraded at the 12 month mark they're almost equal. Hmmm...

----------

Excellent point. I'll most likely take a trip to Verizon later on to get my agreement changed over. Hopefully they just refund my card for the $400 I paid for the phone.

10. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I ended up having no issues updating to EDGE earlier today! I updated the main post with how the process went, if anybody is interested or has questions of their own. :)

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is not true as most carriers would obviously prefer their customers to have the higher priced contracts that result in more profit for the carrier. Yes they would prefer everyone sign a contract but they definitely care about what contract you sign.

12. accountforit macrumors 6502a

If you upgrade after one year then you have to give Verizon your old phone so IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE. You are essentially paying to lease a phone and your monthly payment is always more.

You don't understand that the plan you are on INCLUDING THE SUBSIDY is one of the best on the market. $60 a month including your phone.
    You just went to paying more a month and if you upgrade in a year, you have to give your phone back. On top of that your monthly payment is ALWAYS going to be $93 a month instead of $60 if you lease from them each year.

Horrible idea.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good lord, why does EVERYONE insist on being so mind-bogglingly literal on these forums.

You obviously missed the implication of my state mtn, so allow me to explain it as I would to my 3-year-old: "It's usually ok if you eat your carrots or your green beans, as long as you eat all of your vegetables."

Of course carriers would prefer higher dollar plans, but my point was that almost every carrier allows subscribers to switch plans so long as they fulfill their contracts.

Gracious...

14. joshwithachance, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I'm happy with my decision. And I will make use of the yearly upgrades, so for me it was worth it. And $60 a month is great, but it's reduced even further to $50 on EDGE. It's not for everyone, but as a frequent upgraded, it works for me.

I appreciate your comment though :)

15. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Keep in mind, you can actually upgrade at any time after 30 days, provided you pay up to 50%. Let's say the phone was $400 retail, and 6 months later you want a new one, you've already paid $100 of it off, you'd just have to pay $100 more to upgrade or you can wait.

16. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Exactly! It's actually 60% now though (12 installments). So if I'm 7 payments in and want a new phone I can pay the last 5 installments and get the new one :)

17. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Be careful with Verizon edge. I signed up with 3 lines of service on edge in April. My initial edge balance was $1900 and I currently have a balance of $1000. I edged up one line and had to pay $75 on the initial edge agreement to do so. When I went to edge up the second line I was denied. I am now told I have a mysterious spending limit of $1500 that I never new existed and I would have to pay an additional $420 toward my edge balance in order to edge up the second line. I fought this. And was offered to have the spending limit overridden by two supervisors that would have to call another department and get back with me. The call backs never happened. Well after calling in to 5 other reps to get a status update over a weeks time, I filed a complaint with the BBB. This gets a call back from Verizon's executive team who disregards the supervisors offer and reports to the BBB that I requested the spending limit increase and they denied it. One hour later after talking to him my 9/12 pre order that was successfully placed was cancelled. I called in to see why and no one could give me an answer. They place another order and now my expected ship date that was 10/3 is now 10/31. The rep said he would have to process a "jump the line" but he gave me no confirmation and any change in my date remains to be seen. I may just forget the whole thing and leave Verizon all together.

18. accountforit macrumors 6502a

You are lost dude. You are making it seem like forking over more money and your phone is a good deal.

Enjoy paying $400+ tax a year to lease a phone.

If you want to upgrade each year, the smart thing to do would be to buy your phone outright and then sell it for 80% of what you paid in a year. It sounds like you just needed the $400 back you forked over for the phone initially. That's means you couldn't afford the phone in the first place.

These decisions are why the poverty level in our country exists. While Verizon gets richer....you get poorer.

----------

I would leave. First, call them and start asking questions about terminating service, early termination costs, and so on. They should start offering you discounts and such to keep you. It's worth a try before you leave.

19. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I could definitely afford the phone, which is why I originally bought it under contract. I don't keep phones longer than a year, and at that point phones are generally only worth $300-$400. If a hot new phone was out I'd have to buy it for around $600 and sell my phone on eBay, Craigslist, etc. for around $400. That's $200 I have to put in for my new device, when over the past 12 months I've paid the same thing on contract as I would on EDGE. And with EDGE all I have to do is walk into a corporate Verizon store, trade my phone in, and get the new one.

P.S. I'm slightly offended by your response. You're treating me like I'm stupid, when I'm definitely not.

----------

The girl that did my transition told me right off the bat that I had a $2,000 spending limit based on my credit, which as a single line I'm completely fine with.

I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles though! It sucks when you get told one thing and a whole different thing happens. Maybe try calling the retentions department and inquire about canceling? They could offer you some goodies to try and get you to stay. I hope it works out :(

20. dmystic1 macrumors regular

I put that in my response to BBB, but when you are under edge you are a month-to-month no contract, but if you leave you are still responsible for your edge balance. I personally don't think they care. Actually I get a 25% discount with AT&t as opposed to 15% with Verizon (Company discount) And also 50% off accessories. $15 line access fee with next (edge equivalent) and the monthly payments are $13.31 cheaper for an iPhone 6 and 6 plus (64gb). So it will be a hassle but a win in the long run.

21. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I would actually like to convert my 2 year contract to Verizon Edge. However I purchased through the Apple online store. I guess I will have to get lucky at an Apple Store (find the right rep). Do Apple stores definitely offer Verizon Edge? I was told by online rep that no retail stores offer Verizon Edge.

22. dmystic1 macrumors regular

I suspect they give you a higher limit as a new customer to get you to sign up and then it is reduced later because my initial purchase was $1900. But now multiple reps claim everyone is given $1500. I always pay my balance on time and pay $300+ a month in wireless and the same in FIOS, they do not care about existing customers in either department. It's all about hooking the new customers. Sad really. And with all the cell companies trying to merge here in the US, the lack of choices just really give the remaining all the power to do what they want. lol Now At&T is merging with Direct TV. smh

23. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Awe yay, I'm not the only one tempted by EDGE! Apple doesn't "officially" offer EDGE, but if you get the right rep they can do it. Might go smoother if you return the phone to Apple and get the phone at Verizon (unless you scored a Plus, which you obviously won't find anywhere lol).

----------

AT&T and DirecTV, really?! Ew.... Lol

24. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Very tempted! Haha and unlike a previous poster stated not because I can't afford my phone ;) I like not being tied down by a carrier. And yes, unfortunately I did score a 128gb Plus. That's the problem. I'd actually be fine with purchasing a full price phone as well as Verizon will still give me $25 off my plan. Just can't find one. I guess that's another option...go to an Appke retail store and ask them to return this and rebuy it full price.

25. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I work with best buy and I help customers a lot with this! I won't write a long post right now because I'm about to have dinner, but be aware of this, if you get to the point that you want to upgrade, let's say after 12 months and you cracked your phone, you have to fix it before you can trade it in for a new phone, or in an even worse scenario, if you lose your phone you would have to continue paying the installment billing for another whole year and then spend more money on a new phone!

Of course maybe this won't happen and everything will b fine, but I always like to make my customers aware of this.