converting higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps aac

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ali.mofadal, Dec 13, 2010.

1. ali.mofadal macrumors member

ali.mofadal

i am running low on space so i am thinking of converting higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps aac i have few questions about it

1- will my original mp3 will be affected ?
    2- will i notice difference in quality ?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The only thing I noticed that was different when I used that option was that it took MUCH longer to sync, as Im assuming it does that conversion on the fly. It does free up a decent amount of space though.

Bear in mind that Im not an "audiophile", but to my ears it was the same.

3. ali.mofadal thread starter macrumors member

ali.mofadal

what about my original mp3 files, i don't them to be converted, i just the songs in the ipod only

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Converting them on the fly keeps the files original on the computer, and small on your iPod.

As far as quality goes? I compare it to photo files. If you look at a photo taken using a 1 megapixel setting, the normal size photo on the computer looks fine. Increase the size of that photo and you will see it pixellate. Look at that same photo taken at a 10 megapixel setting and zooming will give you better quality and detail.

Listen to a song at a lower bitrate with high quality earphones at a higher volume vs that same song at a higher bitrate in the same conditions, thats where one will notice it vs another.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's lossy compression, like the one you applied to your post. You lose quality.