Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Chundles said:
786 or 768? Max bit rate for video is 768.

Hmmm... Might give a movie a go, haven't done one yet.

Will report back when it's done, see you all tomorrow.

OK, Anchorman (1 hour 38 minutes) encoded at 750kpbs video and 80kbps AAC audio using the H.264 encoder came out as a 559MB file.

Not sure exactly how long it took but when I went to bed it was at 0.50% and said it had 3 hours 48 minutes remaining. So it probably took about 4 - 4.5 hours (Handbrake lies a bit about the time remaining early on)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
robbieduncan said:
In an attempt to stop thousands of threads being started on how to do this I thought I'd start this one with links to the answers!

Currently there are 2 tutorials I know of on-line:

1) Using ffmpegx (free)

2) Using QuickTime Pro (not free).

Moderators: If you think this is going to be helpfull please sticky it!
Do I need both programs, or just one?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
File sizes & HandBrake limitations

pdpfilms said:
I90 minute 640x480 .mp4 = 700mb (For Computer)
90 minute 320x240 .m2v = 450mb (For iPod)

Shouldn't a video file that's a quarter the physical size and encoded with H.264 be much smaller than 64% of the originial file size?

It all depends on the kbs settings used. The 640 and the 320 would both be the same file-size if they used the same kbs settings, regardless of the codec.

As for HandBrake, most of my DVD rips were unusable. Scarface was garbled in QuickTime, Death Race 2000 would not open the first time (2-pass MP4) and the second time the audio was going out of sync (1-pass MP4). As for its ability to rip chapters, the timing is always a little off. Finally, HandBrake lacks the all-important queue function, for telling it what to rip and leaving it on automatic mode all day. This is an application with potential but right now a lot more work needs to be done on it.

Ideally iTunes should be the DVD ripper.

TurboLag

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
My SpiderMan 2 rip came out to 450Mb. By the way, it took 10 hours to encode to .mp4 on my 1GHz AlPb with handbrake.

Would AppleScript or Automator able me to automate the rip-encode process, with proper settings for the iPod? Is this possible, or am I missing the point of AppleScript?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sol said:
It all depends on the kbs settings used. The 640 and the 320 would both be the same file-size if they used the same kbs settings, regardless of the codec.

As for HandBrake, most of my DVD rips were unusable. Scarface was garbled in QuickTime, Death Race 2000 would not open the first time (2-pass MP4) and the second time the audio was going out of sync (1-pass MP4). As for its ability to rip chapters, the timing is always a little off. Finally, HandBrake lacks the all-important queue function, for telling it what to rip and leaving it on automatic mode all day. This is an application with potential but right now a lot more work needs to be done on it.

Ideally iTunes should be the DVD ripper.

Yeah, I'd like the queue function as well but I've not had one bad rip from a DVD via Handbrake - they all look good.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
TurboLag said:
My SpiderMan 2 rip came out to 450Mb, but it cant be added to iTunes. By the way, it took 10 hours to encode to .mp4 on my 1GHz AlPb. What a waste!

What settings did you use? Cause all my .mp4's have added just fine. I have a 1.2GHz iBook and I ripped a 1hr 38min movie to H264 .mp4 in about 5 hours in a format that would work on the new iPod. Sounds like there's something wrong with your settings there.

Layer34

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
London
Check that your processor is set to maximum, not automatic - I have a G5 1.6 iMac at home and yesterday it was taking 7 hours to handbrake Back to the Future pt1, But today I double checked my processor settings and found it was set to auto, I changed it to maximum and now I have handbraked BTTF Pt2 in 3 hours!

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
ok.. responding to the link: why do you need mactheripper to rip it? handbrake works just fine, doesn't it?

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
virus1 said:
ok.. responding to the link: why do you need mactheripper to rip it? handbrake works just fine, doesn't it?

Never, in the history of the world, have I been able to access the DVD chapters I need on handbrake. The DVDs were Invader Zim, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm... and many more.

I find it much easier and reliable to Mac The Ripper a DVD and then ffmpegx it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
conditionals said:
Never, in the history of the world, have I been able to access the DVD chapters I need on handbrake. The DVDs were Invader Zim, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm... and many more.

I find it much easier and reliable to Mac The Ripper a DVD and then ffmpegx it.

Which chapters?

There is a chapter selection menu in the main Handbrake window.

I'm the opposite, I can't get Handbrake to work with MTR DVD's - it just won't work. Am yet to download and try ffmpegx though so will report when I get the time to wander into town to download it.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Here's a question that hasn't been asked yet (in this thread, at least):

I've been ripping episodes of Arrested Development, playing with the settings a bit each time to see what file sizes I get (they're all pretty much around 110 MB). But I've been ripping at 432x240, because I'd like the slightly higher resolution for watching on my Powerbook.
So, will a video iPod simply resize these? I heard the max resolution they'll take is 480x480, so I figure I'm fine.

As for Handbrake: It's been working fine for me. Perfect except for when I try to rip "My Mother, the Car." It crashes 54 MB into the file every time.

Extremely useful thread, BTW. I'm still running QTP on an iMac with Panther, but I'm not in any hurry to buy a new license for my Tiger Powerbook. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
pyrotoaster said:
Here's a question that hasn't been asked yet (in this thread, at least):

I've been ripping episodes of Arrested Development, playing with the settings a bit each time to see what file sizes I get (they're all pretty much around 110 MB). But I've been ripping at 432x240, because I'd like the slightly higher resolution for watching on my Powerbook.
So, will a video iPod simply resize these? I heard the max resolution they'll take is 480x480, so I figure I'm fine.

As for Handbrake: It's been working fine for me. Perfect except for when I try to rip "My Mother, the Car." It crashes 54 MB into the file every time.

Extremely useful thread, BTW. I'm still running QTP on an iMac with Panther, but I'm not in any hurry to buy a new license for my Tiger Powerbook. ;)

The 480x480 resolution is the max for MPEG-4 encoded video, the max for H.264 encoded video is 320x240. Also the max bit rate for MPEG-4 video is 2.5mbps as opposed to 768kbps for H.264.

I'd imagine the iPod would either just scale the images down or crop them to fit - hopefully scale.

I'm loving this encoding of TV shows though - it'll be great if I ever get a new iPod (Carn Christmas!!) to be able to just pop it into my inMotions and watch some telly as I go off to sleep.

But in all honesty - this new iPod could've just had the bigger screen and I would've wanted one - my 3G whilst looking somewhat "retro cool" (bloody Apple, retro cool after 18 months....) is starting to show it's age, although a timely application of good ol' Brasso certainly gave the old girl a better outlook. I dare say she'll probably be relegated to either external harddrive or a handy jukebox with the universal dock and remote (although I might need a bit of a cash injection for that to happen).

How do the episodes look? I've encoded my AD episodes at 750kbps H.264 and 320x176 and they look OK on my iBook's screen. Are yours watchable? what settings are you using to get 110MB files? Mine are all around the 160MB.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Chundles said:
The 480x480 resolution is the max for MPEG-4 encoded video, the max for H.264 encoded video is 320x240. Also the max bit rate for MPEG-4 video is 2.5mbps as opposed to 768kbps for H.264.

I'd imagine the iPod would either just scale the images down or crop them to fit - hopefully scale.

I'm loving this encoding of TV shows though - it'll be great if I ever get a new iPod (Carn Christmas!!) to be able to just pop it into my inMotions and watch some telly as I go off to sleep.

But in all honesty - this new iPod could've just had the bigger screen and I would've wanted one - my 3G whilst looking somewhat "retro cool" (bloody Apple, retro cool after 18 months....) is starting to show it's age, although a timely application of good ol' Brasso certainly gave the old girl a better outlook. I dare say she'll probably be relegated to either external harddrive or a handy jukebox with the universal dock and remote (although I might need a bit of a cash injection for that to happen).

How do the episodes look? I've encoded my AD episodes at 750kbps H.264 and 320x176 and they look OK on my iBook's screen. Are yours watchable? what settings are you using to get 110MB files? Mine are all around the 160MB.
I'd say they're watchable. I've been actually been enjoying an AD minimarathon as I've added them to iTunes. It's definitely pixelated, but I only really notice when I'm looking for it. For a TV show, I think the quality's fine.

I'm doing 432x240 at 600 kbps into H.264. I just finished ripping an ep at 500 kbps and it weighs 96.2 MB (haven't had a chance to compare quality yet).

OT: I'm really hoping AD season 2 goes up on the iTMS. I'd love to just download the whole thing rather than pay more for the DVDs.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
For those who are not afraid of the command line...

# convert input ( no larger than 480x480 ) to iPod - mpeg-4
ffmpeg -y -i <input> -vcodec mpeg4 -b 2350 -acodec aac -ab 96 -aspect 4:3 -f mov -o <output>

# canvert input ( no larger than 320x240 ) to iPod - h.264
ffmpeg -y -i <input> -vcodec h264 -b 640 -acodec aac -ab 96 -aspect 4:3 -f mov -o <output>

Obviously change the aspect ratio if your materal is native 16:9. I just spent all afternoon trying to get a small snippet converted so that it's not only watchable on the iPod, but should play back on the TV with good quality. It's a 16:9 show that I want to be able to show off on people's tv on occasion. With the top settings it's razor sharp at 320x240 and very watchable at 640x480 and should look excellent on a TV.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Just thinking about it...
Why is it illegal to copy your own DVD onto your own iPod, but it's not illegal to copy music onto an iPod? Seems like the same concept. It just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
EricNau said:
Why is it illegal to copy your own DVD onto your own iPod, but it's not illegal to copy music onto an iPod? Seems like the same concept. It just doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

DMCA.. in order to READ a DVD you legally must have a contract with the DVD consortium and a contract with Macrovision... unless you are illegally cracking the CSS encryption and other asumdry items. It's all crap, but legally it still has teeth.

Audio on the otherhand is an uncompressed audio bitstream.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
pyrotoaster said:
I'd say they're watchable. I've been actually been enjoying an AD minimarathon as I've added them to iTunes. It's definitely pixelated, but I only really notice when I'm looking for it. For a TV show, I think the quality's fine.

I'm doing 432x240 at 600 kbps into H.264. I just finished ripping an ep at 500 kbps and it weighs 96.2 MB (haven't had a chance to compare quality yet).

OT: I'm really hoping AD season 2 goes up on the iTMS. I'd love to just download the whole thing rather than pay more for the DVDs.

That won't work on the iPod - if you're using the H.264 encoder, the max resolution is 320x240.

480x480 is only if you are using the MPEG-4 encoder.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
EricNau said:

basically the Digital Millenium Copyright Act says (i think) that it's illegal to defeat any encryptions/software locks on a DVD or any other digital media in order to use it, personally or not. if there isn't a lock, then you can use it personally, but it will always be illegal to give it away, via torrents or p2p. if you're on a mac, which doesn't acknowledge the locks/encryptions, well, you're good :D . then again, i'm not sure, so don't take my word for it. if you're really worried, read the DMCA (i recommend getting a lawyer to do it; most things like that are pretty confusing for the average person; at least they are to me!)

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
So far 480x480 mpeg-4 ( ~20mb/minute ) is shaping up to be an excellent choice for encoding materal. It's crystal clear and sharp at 320x240 and 640x480 is very nice as well. This is definatly better than tape by a mile. So for your home movies where you wander over to the in-laws and want to plug into thier tv and show off your latest iMovie it's the way to go as it will look good on the iPod and the TV ( why apple is not releasing shows in this format??? ).

Anyways, I'm using as my test the pixar short films off the DVD's. All of them came out excellent and I can't want to see if these mpeg-4 .mov files will actually PLAY in the iPod without hickups ( I did rate limit the bandwidth, but played with gop structure ).

Cheers.

TobyM

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2005
with quicktime pro, it took me 17 hours to convert one futurama episode with 23 mins length.

i have quite a below average config, with 1,4 ghz and 640mb ram, but 17 hours is just ridiculous.

with psp video 9, it takes me 2-3 hours to convert a 2h-movie in h.264 with very nice quality.
quicktime pro would need 85 hours for 2 hours movie. thats so lame.

i also often converted to wmvs, movs, divx and xvid, so it isnt my pc.

this just cant be true. i ordered a black 60 gigger last week, and want to convert my futurama dvds niw.
do you know a good windows tool?
dont want to spend every night with the **** pc on just because it takes almost a whole day for one stupid episode....

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
it seems as though everybody has an opinon as to which is better; lets hear 'em! i haven't ordered yet, but i'm considering the 30gig black...anyways, what formats are best to save time, space, and quality for the new iPod on, say, a feature film/DVD? or on a TV episode? it'd be cool if you guys could post length of conversion, end file size, your opinion of quality, what formats you used, and your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.