Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have an MP3 file I'd like as a ringtone. I remember on Vista you just right clicked it and renamed it to M4R. Done.

How do I do this on a Mac? I convert to AAC, open it in Finder, rename it to M4R. Won't open.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I have an MP3 file I'd like as a ringtone. I remember on Vista you just right clicked it and renamed it to M4R. Done.

How do I do this on a Mac? I convert to AAC, open it in Finder, rename it to M4R. Won't open.

And FYI: Just changing the extension name doesn't change the actual file type (ah, were it that easy ;)).

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If the file really has been converted to AAC, then you can just change the extension to "m4r". Instead of trying to "open" it, try dragging it into your iTunes library (with iTunes open, drag from Finder to the iTunes window).

jmann

macrumors 604
You have to push the "c" key and drag the yellow bar to the portion of the song in Garage Band you want to be the ringtone and then go to Share>Send ringtone to iTunes.

Attachments

• Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 274
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.