Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
everyone already knows all the benefits of having a bigger screen, but i want to focus more on the CONS of having bigger screens?

*like do you have any SPECIFIC STORIES of when you wished you had a smaller device instead?

exercising?
- at gyms?
- outdoors?
- riding bikes?
traveling?
storing in your clothes?
formal wear?
casual wear?
- shorts?
- clothes without pockets?
taking out to bars/clubs/restaurants?
school?
- labs?
driving?
- getting in & out of cars that are low to the ground at night time (falling out of pockets without noticing)?
hospital settings (to any med students/residents out there)?
- operating rooms?
- daily patient rounds?
- grand rounds?

ANYTHING ELSE I MAY HAVE NOT CONSIDERED THAT I SHOULD KEEP IN MIND?

basically the ONLY reason i want a bigger screen iphone 6 plus is to use the app called "goodnotes". i was wondering if owning a device as large as the 6+ (probably android users can answer this better) would totally replace using an ipad mini (i currently have a 4s and ipad 3 & macbook pro 13" only)...but i would like to downsize & donate my ipad 3 (i dont think i can part with my laptop as of yet)...

trying to cut down on multiple devices and im pretty good at using technology for up to 3-4 years without the need to upgrade as long as it fulfills my needs.

its important for me to consider everything and i would really like your guys' opinions because this will be my setup for hopefully the next 6 years or so...cuz i dont plan on getting new stuff in 2 yrs...hopefully this investment will be used all the way til the actual death of the devices (im not sure if people use stuff for this long anymore).

thanks in advance & i hope that this thread helps other people in my situation who are considering making a heavy investment now & depreciating it over actual lives of their machines...

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not trying to be rude. There is a cut out somewhere in the forum. You can print it and tape it onto a cardboard. Walk around with it in your pants, run, jump, swim if you want and see if it fits you. It should cover 90% of your questions.

Good luck.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
No one is going to do that for you. Make a decision on your own. I think iPhone 5c is the perfect choice.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Here's how this plays out.

You buy the 6+ by filtering what you want to hear and what you don't as your mind is already set on it.

Apple releases an iOS version in the future that slows your 6+ down.

Apple releases another iOS version with some 'must have' feature that isn't available for your 6+

Begrudgingly, you give Apple more money for a new phone before your 6 year plan is up.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'd suggest not listening to the forum at this time because of too much BS/bias among forum members right now. However, I'll say if you're considering it as a replacement for the iPad you should go ahead and give it a try.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
iphone 6+ is not large enough to truly use a tablet-based app, and too large to be truly portable.

It will do nothing well.

That's the theory, but millions will buy this phone.

For me, if you keep a phone in your pocket or ride public transportation, then you should not get the 6+. The 6 is stretching it already and may prove to be too big as well.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Not trying to be mean at all. If $299 is heavy investment for you, I highly suggest you look at cheaper phones/plans. You do not need an iPhone. It's a luxury item.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Not trying to be mean at all. If $299 is heavy investment for you, I highly suggest you look at cheaper phones/plans. You do not need an iPhone. It's a luxury item.

Agreed. Unfortunately for probably half of the iPhone's userbase now, it IS a significant investment. It's popular now though, and that makes people willing to go into debt just to get it, even if they have no business owning A cell phone, let alone an iPhone.

A friend of mine works in Bankruptcy and laughs that probably half of his clients (or more) have iPhones. A common question? "If I file bankruptcy will I have to give up my iPhone?". People know it's beyond their means, but they "gotta have it" anyway.

It is what it is. It's sad, but especially since they dropped the price from $499-599 and now offer all of these crazy no-credit finance options like NEXT it's become accessible to people it really shouldn't be.

Apple is onboard, and why wouldn't they be? Appealling to the people who can't afford it is one of the marketing strategies every exclusive product employs. It makes the people who can afford it want it, and the people who can't want it even MORE.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Agreed. Unfortunately for probably half of the iPhone's userbase now, it IS a significant investment. It's popular now though, and that makes people willing to go into debt just to get it, even if they have no business owning A cell phone, let alone an iPhone.

A friend of mine works in Bankruptcy and laughs that probably half of his clients (or more) have iPhones. A common question? "If I file bankruptcy will I have to give up my iPhone?". People know it's beyond their means, but they "gotta have it" anyway.

It is what it is. It's sad, but especially since they dropped the price from $499-599 and now offer all of these crazy no-credit finance options like NEXT it's become accessible to people it really shouldn't be.

Apple is onboard, and why wouldn't they be? Appealling to the people who can't afford it is one of the marketing strategies every exclusive product employs. It makes the people who can afford it want it, and the people who can't want it even MORE.

Like in China, people save up 100s of 1000s of dollars and buy their home outright, even on terribly low salaries paying around 400 to 500 dollars a month.

Then we get all these people here getting into debt for huge sums, massive loans of 70k+

Oh how I laugh at them. People taking iPhones on credit are funny, but people buying cars and homes on credit are truly hilarious.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Like in China, people save up 100s of 1000s of dollars and buy their home outright, even on terribly low salaries paying around 400 to 500 dollars a month.

Then we get all these people here getting into debt for huge sums, massive loans of 70k+

Oh how I laugh at them. People taking iPhones on credit are funny, but people buying cars and homes on credit are truly hilarious.

Sorry, but purchasing on credit is how much of the business world works. It's called leverage. Now, purchasing an iPhone on credit if you're struggling to make ends meet is a little silly. But purchasing an asset like a home on credit is hardly something to laugh about.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sorry, but purchasing on credit is how much of the business world works. It's called leverage. Now, purchasing an iPhone on credit if you're struggling to make ends meet is a little silly. But purchasing an asset like a home on credit is hardly something to laugh about.

If you can't afford something, don't buy it. We don't look to the 'business world' (and what a cringe turn of phrase) for ethics.

The Chinese buy homes and cars outright on low salaries (homes that match the cost of purchasing in the West), so why get your back up when called out on it?

People buying homes are worse than people buying iPhones. It's harder to plan in the long term than the short term. And your 'asset' can lose value, leaving you in negative equity.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
When did the become FinanceRumors?

Since some 'hotshot' and his dodgy mythical mate in bankruptcy thought it was funny to laugh at people using credit.

I'm just taking the piss. People who say ill contrived bile like that are usually on the thinnest ice.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
The two reasons I personally went with the 6 instead of the 6 plus:

1. I wear jeans and keep my phone in my front pocket. I prefer a smaller phone for this reason. Don't want it in the way, especially if I have to bend over to tie my shoe, etc.

2. I use my phone a lot in boring meetings at work, doctors offices, etc. I don't want the entire world to be able to see what I'm doing or what I'm looking at, etc. To me, a smaller screen will be easier to hide from wandering eyes (people are nosy as hell and will always try to look at your screen).

Those are just my reasons. Otherwise, I'd love to have the 6 plus, but it's just not discreet enough for my taste.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Since some 'hotshot' and his dodgy mythical mate in bankruptcy thought it was funny to laugh at people using credit.

I'm just taking the piss. People who say ill contrived bile like that are usually on the thinnest ice.

:)

It just seems like anytime anyone mentions anything money related here everyone turns in to a financial expert. The way I see it, other people's spending (outside of my wife, who is not a big spender) does not affect me in my day to day life. For the record, I work in the finance industry and have a large knowledge base on how credit works. If I was asked about it I would offer my opinion. However, this is not the place for those type of discussions.

It's just annoying that a simple question gets turned in to badgering the OP about his financial choices.

/rant :)

Isn't it nice that some one who profits off of supposedly "helping" people with bankruptcy laughs at them.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have four simple reasons, and all of them relate directly to having carried a Galaxy Note 3 for the past 11 months every day as my primary device.

1) I need two hands. While the iP6+ is thinner than the Note 3, not by more than a fraction. I may be proven wrong by the wonder that is Apple's one-handed mode, but the Note 3 has its own one handed mode (literally shrinks down the UI to iPhone 5 size) and while my thumb can traverse less distances to accomplish a given task, my thumb doesn't grown any larger nor does the phone physically shrink. You still need two hands to use it properly for texting, taking snapshots, etc. I never used voice command reliably so don't go there. I'm done having to juggle a big phone while maneuvering a wheeled suitcase through a crowded street, hotel lobby or airport. The snapshot thing really bothered me as I found myself having to fiddle with a lot more to grab a shot forcing me to lose a lot of spontaneous moments with subjects. I felt like I was one of those dorks walking around taking photographs with an iPad. Which leads me to second point...

2) I really dislike how large the phone is when pocketed. I wear cargo shorts, running pants, full suits and sportcoats. All have pockets large enough to carry either the Note 3 or the iP6+ but other than the coats, not comfortably. And unless its a breast or thigh pocket you can forget sitting with it in your pocket. The size coupled with my constant use of the device pretty much forced me into carrying it like a tablet in my hand all the time, just so it was more "at the ready" for pictures or calls. Otherwise I'd be there with both hands full (say a set of architectural drawings and a cup of coffee) and have to put something down to dig out my phone and answer it. It became a hassle factor to me. And made me conspicuous that I was indeed carrying a HUGE phone which lead to number.....

3) I really, really disliked the fact that everyone sitting near me can see exactly what I was looking at without really having to be conspicuous about it. With the right privacy screen protector perhaps this could be mitigated but I've never been a fan of covering up a huge screen. Text conversations, emails, pictures, whatever I was surfing at the time, etc.....if my phone was on, you could clearly see what was being displayed two chairs to my right or left at any time.

4) Unlike the Note 3, no stylus. Almost fully negates the value of having a screen of that size/dimensions IMO. The stylus was actually pretty useful to me for note taking, scribbling notes, etc. Writing with my finger was never comfortable although always an option. And at least with the Note 3 the UI was designed with a stylus IN MIND, so there were many features that made the stylus handy. Not so with the iP6+ so...why bother with the extra features of a phablet when its less tablet and more just large phone? This made it a two-handed affair but...see all the above and rinse/repeat this list.

Those are my 4. YMMV or not exist at all.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Don't get the 6 Plus so someone else on here can get theirs faster :)
haha thanks for the response...but im trying to place an order before sept. 29th so i can take advantage of sprints iphone buyback program. hopefully everyone will get theirs before me (if i decide to size up in the first place...if theres no reason to, i might just stick w my 4s).

Not trying to be rude. There is a cut out somewhere in the forum. You can print it and tape it onto a cardboard. Walk around with it in your pants, run, jump, swim if you want and see if it fits you. It should cover 90% of your questions.

Good luck.
thats not rude at all, thanks for the reply. i do have the cutout, but i was more interested in learning about the experiences of someone who has had a device this large for a longer period of time...its different living with something day-to-day vs. just testing it out in certain conditions over a week or so...

No one is going to do that for you. Make a decision on your own. I think iPhone 5c is the perfect choice.
well, i cant get answers if i never ask the question...thanks for the input, though!

Here's how this plays out.

You buy the 6+ by filtering what you want to hear and what you don't as your mind is already set on it.

Apple releases an iOS version in the future that slows your 6+ down.

Apple releases another iOS version with some 'must have' feature that isn't available for your 6+

Begrudgingly, you give Apple more money for a new phone before your 6 year plan is up.
i understand your cynicism, but if you knew me, you wouldnt think that. my friends all made fun of me for not switching from sprint when they didnt have the iphone. and now they make fun of me for having the iphone 4s - i havent even LOOKED at the iphone 5/s/c. trust me, im pretty good at subduing my temptations...my choices are not buy the iphone 6+ vs buy the iphone 6, its more like buy the iphone 6+ & donate my ipad 3 vs keep my iphone 4s and ipad 3. thanks!

You always will think that maybe I should have gone with the bigger screen:D
i might just be that person that thinks the exact opposite (should have NEVER got this big of a screen)...im weird like that! thank you!

I'd suggest not listening to the forum at this time because of too much BS/bias among forum members right now. However, I'll say if you're considering it as a replacement for the iPad you should go ahead and give it a try.
thanks for the suggestion...trust me, thats my plan B if i cant find answers that satisfy my situation!

iphone 6+ is not large enough to truly use a tablet-based app, and too large to be truly portable.

It will do nothing well.

That's the theory, but millions will buy this phone.

For me, if you keep a phone in your pocket or ride public transportation, then you should not get the 6+. The 6 is stretching it already and may prove to be too big as well.
thank you for the input, do you have any experience that led you to this? i heard people say that about the ipad mini and i tried a friends & actually kinda wished i had the ipad mini instead of my ipad 3 - especially when going from room to room & having to interact with different patients i had to constantly leave my ipad in weird places...(but i dont think the mini was available at that time & i had to rush to take advantage of a credit card bonus deadline but cant remember if there was a mini back then or not...)

well, since youre not trying to be mean, i wont take it that way, but i feel like its a bit out of place for what i asked about. in case anyone is curious, i would have no issue buying anything this price, but my question is about whether i would gain the full value of paying that price. IF i do buy it, i would get the 128GB so that i could use it for many many years and accumulate a lot of data on it. my ipad 3 is a 64gb and it is already full with about 80+ textbooks, 500+ lecture notes, 300+ audio recordings, 100+ video seminars, and so many other documents (in my goodnotes app & itunes audio/video). it has forced me to use dropbox, box, onedrive, and google drive accounts but the minutes it takes to sync up and down my files and the time i would need to organize which files i want to have directly on the ipad vs which ones i could live with just syncing when needed makes me miss information sometimes. if i switch to some other device, it might save me money, but i would have to go through all the trial & error to find the perfect apps that i need and sometimes the accumulation of all the knowledge about my preferences is worth more than a few hundred dollars. but thanks for taking time to reply.

thank you to everyone replying but please know that my situation is not about the 6+ vs. the 6, its about the 6+ vs keeping my iphone 4s.

also its not totally about the money. i am not in any financial trouble and i dont spend money unnecessarily. to me its about the changes these things make in my life, which is a justifiable expense in my eyes. im not the one to have the latest & greatest always. in fact, i try to keep my electronics as long as possible & take good care of them.

this is a question about the 128 iphone 6+ vs. not spending anything. i am limiting my options to apple products because i already have apps that i love and that i wouldnt even trade for somewhat similar apps (example: i like goodnotes more than notability - i dont have time to research and try different apps on android to save money while the rest of my life is moving forward & its already hard enough for me to keep up).

sorry if my post caused any confusion and please keep contributing ideas - im trying to find time to read them all!

thanks again!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you can't afford something, don't buy it. We don't look to the 'business world' (and what a cringe turn of phrase) for ethics.

The Chinese buy homes and cars outright on low salaries (homes that match the cost of purchasing in the West), so why get your back up when called out on it?

People buying homes are worse than people buying iPhones. It's harder to plan in the long term than the short term. And your 'asset' can lose value, leaving you in negative equity.

It would be nice but with average home prices in the US being high not many can afford to pay cash for a house. And to save up that much to buy in full can take a very long time while also paying rent to stay at another place doesn't make any sense either.
With cars and other purchases it's easier to pay in full but unless you're making lots of money then it's easier said than done.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and correct me if I am, but by no-credit finance do you mean financing it with 0% APR?

If so, surely it's in fact the best option there is? I'm not suggesting getting into debt you cannot afford, but financing something at 0% APR is just like getting free money. The interest you'd generate not buying it in a lump sum surely outweighs, well, anything..?

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The iphone 6 plus weights 172 grams compared to 129 grams of the iphone 6.

If you carry your phone all day that difference is a lot, also how could anyone knows if a bigger phone is ok if they never have one.

Maybe a bigger phone could slide more easily when you take a photo or when you use it.

I don't know if the iphone 6 plus is ok if I have not try it and see the size. You need to have one big phone like that some days to know if it is ok to have it or not.

To be safer I choose the iPhone 6, and maybe one day when I can see the iphone 6 plus and test it directly I could decide if it is ok for me, but meanwhile it is too risky to have a big phone like that one without knowing if it will fit in my pants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.