Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The point of this thread is the large size of the iphone 6 + not fighting about who has more money, or if Zuckerberg pays his home in 20 years or more, or if you buy an iphone in 1 year or more, who cares about that?

Enjoy your iphone and don't get too much debt even 0% because that is dangerous, but in the end who cares?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
In your opinion. That doesn't mean that is what works best for the OP or anyone else.

Right. The need to preface a statement with "In my opinion" seems rather redundant on an internet forum. That too, is my opinion.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Finally a breath of fresh air!:cool:
yeah about the weight thing, a few grams here or there doesnt phase me since i would be using this device to replace the amount of books i would need instead (spiral notebooks, textbooks, review books, etc). id happily live w a few extra grams - it would definitely cut down a lot of sweating from hauling books back & forth!

The good news is that if you feel that way...you have 14-days to exchange it for the iPhone Plus!

I actually preordered the iPhone 6 today because I already have an iPad Mini Retina and hate to see that go to waste which it would if I had the larger screen. BUT, if I get the "6" and wish I'd gotten the Plus...I'll exchange it. I'm sure there's a $35 restocking fee, but that's small potatoes to have the device you want.

See? There's a bright side to everything! :D
i feel like if ive been quickly conditioned to preface with this everytime i mention any money (its not directed towards you):

(although i could afford the restocking fee), i thought about that too and i just hate wasting money. but youre right, sometimes you just gotta consider it an investment in finding the right answer. so do you take your ipad mini everywhere or just when you absolutely think you might need it? and again, im not trying to decide between the 6+ and the 6...id happily keep my iphone 4s if the 6+ cant do what i need it to. in that case, i would get the upcoming ipad mini and still donate my ipad 3 while keeping my iphone 4s. thank you for the reply!

I have to agree with this. I had a Note 3 and initially I loved it but found exactly that - it was too big to use as an everyday phone and too small to use as a tablet. The 6 Plus is pretty much the same size as a Note 3 (a bit thinner and narrower and a bit taller) with a slightly smaller screen.

Personally, I think the 6 is the better option of the two - it's still a pretty big phone compared to previous iPhones but it's definitely small enough to use as an everyday carry anywhere in your pocket device
THANK YOU!!! you, sir, may have just won this whole thread. i read what the guy you replied to said but he offered no experience - just speculation (at least thats what it sounded like to me). you may have just convinced me to stick w my iphone 4s + ipad 3 combo for now & just donate the ipad 3 when i get the updated 128GB ipad mini whenever it comes out (hopefully in oct 2014) and use my iphone 4s for just talking/quick texting purposes. thank you so much for saving me from making an unnecessary purchase (despite my ability to afford it)!

Last edited by a moderator:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
You shouldn't get it. In fact, if you pre-ordered it, please cancel.

(So I can get mine sooner) :cool:

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Presenting my new iphone 10

acid_picdump_57.jpg

Or what do you think of the new ipad:

dQVN7.jpg

Sometimes big is too big for everybody.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I can't convince you, but I can explain why I went for the 6: portability, and usability.

The main benefits of the 6 are a camera feature I don't use my camera enough to worry about, and a resolution that's undetectable to the eye.

The downside is far more tangible - you're hulking around an inconvenient brick. Yes you get the huge screen, but the 4.7 is a significant leap in itself, and the perfect stepping stone to going larger in the future, if that's what I end up deciding.

The 4.7 is also much easier to use, much easier to carry around, still a vast improvement in screen size and has a battery that holds up in the key areas (the Plus is only marginally better when it comes to browsing, and I plug it in every night anyway, so I don't need 80 hours of audio or 24 hours of talk).

Ultimately, it's down to personal preference - if the Plus works for you, it's the perfect phone to have. But it's certainly not objectively 'better'. The days that biggest were best are behind us now.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread was closed temporarily to clean up all the off-topic bickering. Now that it's reopened, please remain civil.

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
:)

It just seems like anytime anyone mentions anything money related here everyone turns in to a financial expert. The way I see it, other people's spending (outside of my wife, who is not a big spender) does not affect me in my day to day life. For the record, I work in the finance industry and have a large knowledge base on how credit works. If I was asked about it I would offer my opinion. However, this is not the place for those type of discussions.

It's just annoying that a simple question gets turned in to badgering the OP about his financial choices.

/rant :)

Isn't it nice that some one who profits off of supposedly "helping" people with bankruptcy laughs at them.

If you think it takes an expert to know not to buy something you can't afford, then you really do need "finance rumors".

And yes, bankruptcy lawyers laugh all the time at the idiotic choices people make. Bankruptcy isn't to "help" people that somehow got screwed, it's to punch out after a number of BAD life decisions. People who view it as "help" are the problem. Sure, there are legitimate uses, but they are the exception not the rule. 9 times out of 10 it's people living beyond their means and nothing more.

If you can't afford to pay cash, don't buy it. Notice I didn't say "only pay cash". There are instances where financing makes sense. The trouble is, people finance everything and have no cash reserves to bail them out. That's living beyond your means, plain and simple...

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
If you think it takes an expert to know not to buy something you can't afford, then you really do need "finance rumors".

And yes, bankruptcy lawyers laugh all the time at the idiotic choices people make. Bankruptcy isn't to "help" people that somehow got screwed, it's to punch out after a number of BAD life decisions. People who view it as "help" are the problem. Sure, there are legitimate uses, but they are the exception not the rule. 9 times out of 10 it's people living beyond their means and nothing more.

If you can't afford to pay cash, don't buy it. Notice I didn't say "only pay cash". There are instances where financing makes sense. The trouble is, people finance everything and have no cash reserves to bail them out. That's living beyond your means, plain and simple...

Thank you for the continued entertainment :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Biggest con of the 6 Plus IMO is the heat. The thing gets hot. The screen is nicer, battery is better, though I think it has overall worse performance because of the higher res screen and more significant downsampling. Also I wasn't too impressed by the speaker I thought the one on the 6 was very good, 6 Plus wasn't as high fidelity to my ears and not very much louder. Heat is definitely the biggest drawback.

----------

Why is this thread open again? It was wastelanded.

Check post #58

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Biggest con of the 6 Plus IMO is the heat. The thing gets hot. The screen is nicer, battery is better, though I think it has overall worse performance because of the higher res screen and more significant downsampling. Also I wasn't too impressed by the speaker I thought the one on the 6 was very good, 6 Plus wasn't as high fidelity to my ears and not very much louder. Heat is definitely the biggest drawback.
Check post #58

You've already used both of the phones? Pretty interesting analysis nevertheless.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
everyone already knows all the benefits of having a bigger screen, but i want to focus more on the CONS of having bigger screens?

*like do you have any SPECIFIC STORIES of when you wished you had a smaller device instead?

exercising?
- at gyms?
- outdoors?
- riding bikes?
traveling?
storing in your clothes?
formal wear?
casual wear?
- shorts?
- clothes without pockets?
taking out to bars/clubs/restaurants?
school?
- labs?
driving?
- getting in & out of cars that are low to the ground at night time (falling out of pockets without noticing)?
hospital settings (to any med students/residents out there)?
- operating rooms?
- daily patient rounds?
- grand rounds?

ANYTHING ELSE I MAY HAVE NOT CONSIDERED THAT I SHOULD KEEP IN MIND?

basically the ONLY reason i want a bigger screen iphone 6 plus is to use the app called "goodnotes". i was wondering if owning a device as large as the 6+ (probably android users can answer this better) would totally replace using an ipad mini (i currently have a 4s and ipad 3 & macbook pro 13" only)...but i would like to downsize & donate my ipad 3 (i dont think i can part with my laptop as of yet)...

trying to cut down on multiple devices and im pretty good at using technology for up to 3-4 years without the need to upgrade as long as it fulfills my needs.

its important for me to consider everything and i would really like your guys' opinions because this will be my setup for hopefully the next 6 years or so...cuz i dont plan on getting new stuff in 2 yrs...hopefully this investment will be used all the way til the actual death of the devices (im not sure if people use stuff for this long anymore).

thanks in advance & i hope that this thread helps other people in my situation who are considering making a heavy investment now & depreciating it over actual lives of their machines...

don't get it your trousers will fall down.

don't get it your girlfriend will dump you after she sees something bigger to hold

don't get it if you drop it in your cup of coffee or beer it won't fit

don't get it theres nothing worth reading at that size anyway

don't get it you'll need to buy all new clothes with bigger pockets and that'll be clown clothes

don't get it because you have doubts so see it first

don't get it unless you also buy the iChain to hang it from your neck

hopefully thats convinced you like you asked :D

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
To the OP
Replacing a Mini with the Plus is often mentioned. Note that the screen real estate of the 6 Plus is less then half the iPad Mini. Its not a bit smaller its less then half the size. Note that. Your tablet experience would be heavily compromised I feel

Jeff3f

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I decided against 6plus partly because it uses the same SOC A8 as the smaller one, but has way more pixels. This means that it's going to struggle or at some point in the future (iOS 9) it'll be slower feeling than the smaller phone. Some have mentioned that the iOS animations and GUI seemed choppy on the plus, though I haven't spent time with the videos. I don't need to, because I have spent time with a first-gen retina macbook, and I have experienced 'too many pixels for the hardware to handle' firsthand. My guess is that for the plus, next years version will see a significant upgrade in performance.

Reasons to get it are more about personal taste, need for a bigger battery (tethering or traveling), etc.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
everyone already knows all the benefits of having a bigger screen, but i want to focus more on the CONS of having bigger screens?

*like do you have any SPECIFIC STORIES of when you wished you had a smaller device instead?

exercising?
- at gyms?
- outdoors?
- riding bikes?
traveling?
storing in your clothes?
formal wear?
casual wear?
- shorts?
- clothes without pockets?
taking out to bars/clubs/restaurants?
school?
- labs?
driving?
- getting in & out of cars that are low to the ground at night time (falling out of pockets without noticing)?
hospital settings (to any med students/residents out there)?
- operating rooms?
- daily patient rounds?
- grand rounds?

ANYTHING ELSE I MAY HAVE NOT CONSIDERED THAT I SHOULD KEEP IN MIND?

basically the ONLY reason i want a bigger screen iphone 6 plus is to use the app called "goodnotes". i was wondering if owning a device as large as the 6+ (probably android users can answer this better) would totally replace using an ipad mini (i currently have a 4s and ipad 3 & macbook pro 13" only)...but i would like to downsize & donate my ipad 3 (i dont think i can part with my laptop as of yet)...

trying to cut down on multiple devices and im pretty good at using technology for up to 3-4 years without the need to upgrade as long as it fulfills my needs.

its important for me to consider everything and i would really like your guys' opinions because this will be my setup for hopefully the next 6 years or so...cuz i dont plan on getting new stuff in 2 yrs...hopefully this investment will be used all the way til the actual death of the devices (im not sure if people use stuff for this long anymore).

thanks in advance & i hope that this thread helps other people in my situation who are considering making a heavy investment now & depreciating it over actual lives of their machines...

Earlier this year I was trying to convince myself to buy a new tv - going from 47" to 60" but wondered if it would overpower the room. Made my decision - went with a 70"! And so glad. Go big or go home. Sometimes I wish I had an 80!

----------

Also, I switched from iPhone 4 to Samsung S4 to get the bigger screen. I will never go back to anything small. Can't wait till Nov when I'm eligible to upgrade. iPhone 6 Plus here I come.
One of the major things I like better with the S4 is pluggin in via usb and treating i tlike a flash drive - no iTunes stuff to go thru. Really wish iPhone would do that. Anyone know a work around to do it ?

And whatever happened to the days when you could upgrade a few months early without paying full retail? I'm not gong to pay extra every month just so I can upgrade more often.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
thanks for all the advice guys. im going to try to make it into an apple store and see if they will let me download my "goodnotes" app on one of their demo units to try. i already know its going to be annoyingly crowded, so i might have to wait a bit...

its so funny that for the first time ever, my iphone 4s had a little glitch yesterday...it was like a sign (or really suspicious - conspiracy theory). i was trying to use the timer feature of the clock app and the screen was stuck on my alarm clocks. then for like 30sec, i was pressing the home screen, trying to press the little tabs on the bottom to move to clocks/alarms/timer/countdowns but the screen was STUCK & didnt respond to screen or home button manipulation.

then finally i clicked the power button & turned the screen off & on really quick, unlocked it, and the app worked again...it was odd that it was the first time this has EVER happened & the DAY BEFORE the new one comes out...

but 1 glitch in 3 years aint bad i guess...

brando123b

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
You're having this dilemma because:

1.) Marketing is telling you that when you have the chance, always get the biggest, most expensive and "best".

If you truly wanted the iPhone 6+ because you identified it as the better phone, you would buy one and not be here posting about it.

It's all very subliminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.