Convince me on lag on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkribbs, Jun 12, 2013.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Let me start off by saying I want a rMBP.

But, there have been problems. Most sound ok. However, lag on them seems to be a problem. And while I understand that software can fix it, apple seems to be slow with fixing stuff like this.

I remember an older graphics problem that was around for quite a while. Lines on the screen if I remember correctly? Or maybe it was blocking? I don't know.

But will lag be remedied soon? I had heard 10.9 would be the fix, but still some say they are experiencing the lag with it. I just don't want a 2,200 dollar machine that lags with basic use.

Convince me if I should get it or not?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

10.9 is just a DP now, and it will be better by the time it is released to the public. And I hear that it is already better than 10.8.4. Don't let a temporary problem hold you back from buying one of the best computers made.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Don't buy it. You can buy a Compaq notebook now. :apple:

4. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Right but ever since these were released, the thought has always been that the fix has been right around the corner. I'm aware this is an AMAZING computer which is why I want one. I just have experienced lag on my sister laptop and... it sucks lol.

This one any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Arma...75056374?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item53f9e89af6

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Badrottie was being sarcastic. Compaqs on the whole don't compare to Macs, and certainly not the rMBP. But have you ever actually used the rMBP to see about the so-called lag? You should go to the Apple store to make your own decision if the current lag is bearable or not.

6. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Please pull up the link I asked him about lol. Its something like 60 gb hdd 256 mb RAM. I thought that compaq was bought by hp anyways.

And I haven't because the closest is 90 or more minutes away. I doubt I'll really put up with any lag though.

I think we may be making a trip to check them out tomorrow.

I'll check facebook, and what do I do with mission control to test?

7. Robster3 macrumors 68000

8. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

what sort of lag are you referring to? did she have the high end 15"? or was it low end 15" without dedicated GPU

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

There is no 15" rMBP wthout a dGPU.

10. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

It wasn't on a MBP. It was just a not good computer. But I know what it is now, and don't want to experience this on a 2,200 dollar computer!

Its a LOT of money! I don't want a computer that doesn't function well!

11. pnyc macrumors 6502

You'd have to be an idiot to buy one right now, unless you absolutely need one right this minute. It's obvious from what you say that you don't need an rMBP immediately you just want one and you want to make sure it works well, etc. before you plop down the dough. My advice would be to wait. Haswell in rMBP is right around the corner 10.9 is fresh out into the wild and not even finished yet, just wait, even if you wait only 2-4 weeks you'll have a much better idea of what to do.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Go to an Apple store and try one ourself. I see lots of complaints about lagging here but after a month the only very very tiny lags I see sometimes make we wonder about people. If this is what bothers someone, then I don't think they will be happy with any laptop.

But only you can judge if it's acceptable to you. Don't ask anyone else, go to a store and judge yourself.

13. red321red321 macrumors regular

people have been saying this for the past half year, they are bound to be right someday though

14. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Call me what you'd like, but I'm buying a refurbished one. I know haswell would be great, but I cannot afford the brand new one. So I'm going with a good refurb which will be great too. Really the biggest improvements haswell brings is battery life right? So I'll stay a little closer to the outlet.

I am going to a best buy tomorrow where hopefully they'll have one!

15. hammm macrumors member

Have you ever tried connecting the 13" rMBP to external display (e.g. thunderbolt)?

Opening a few tabs of image-heavy sites like pinterest/mashable is enough to make the UI lag.

Some people can live with that, but I just think that it's unacceptable considering that it's a Pro laptop.

16. kis, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

kis macrumors 65816

yupp - I got a new one yesterday - 1500$ for a 13" 8gb / 256gb version. I was planning on ordering a new Macbook Air but ended up getting the rMBP instead. I don't need the 12-hour battery life, the difference in portability is minimal and the rMBP outshines the new Retina in almost every way.

17. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you!

18. kis macrumors 65816

Just try manually stretching a Safari window to full screen and you'll already see the "lag". I'm happy with the speed but that's only because I have a fully loaded 15" rMBP at home that I use as a desktop replacement. For me, the 13" will be my carry-around laptop once the screen's been fixed. I bought it for portability - I only need MS Office on the go. I know I could have gone with the slightly cheaper MBA but I don't like its low-res screen.

19. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Is the lag still prevalent on the 13" and 15" rMBP?

Does it affect everything the OS..? :(

20. kis macrumors 65816

I don't see it on the 15" version. It's definitely there on the 13". I believe it only "affects" the UI and (especially) browsing the web.

21. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Wait is lag different between 13 and 15 inch?

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Nope. Don't have a thunderbolt display so doesn't bother me at all. Don't go to pinterest or mashable. I love the complaint repeatedly on this forum that anything not perfect is unacceptable on a "pro" laptop. Must be tough living in a world that requires perfection all the time.

23. hammm macrumors member

Well if you don't use the rMBP, you won't feel any lag either. Ignoring the problems doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Maybe you don't have other Apple devices so you have no point of reference. But for those who do, the lag is really obvious when a side-by-side comparsion is done between 13" rMBP and other devices like iPad 4th Gen, cMBP 13"/15", Air, iMac etc.

What most of us want isn't perfection, but rather basic, reasonable modern computing standards given how much dough we plough in for it. I really do hope Apple will fix this in the next iteration though.

24. nickbarbs macrumors regular

I'm on 10.9, it's buttery smooth in safari on the RMBP.

I've had this machine since July of last year and I had to endure OSX 10.7.. that was true lag. 10.8 made it better but still there and i got used to it. Now I feel like I'll slip everywhere because of all the butter.

For real though safari and OS UI animations are ultra smooth on 10.9 and as was said this is just DP1, mostly on the integrated HD4000 unless a web site triggers the GT650

Edit: also, i have 1gb of VRAM now on the HD4000 vs 512 in 10.8, and battery life is better. OSX 10.9 is a killer so far.

Maps is not buttery smooth maxed out but again this is DP1

25. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Is all this discussions about "lag" just talking about Safari? I've never used it, just use Chrome. Is that why I don't see any lag? Also I can never remember the command for the mission control thing, nor see the point. So if those are the only things that lag maybe that explains it...