Convince me please: Does the sport look cheap? is $200 extra really worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bribri99, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bribri99, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

bribri99 macrumors regular

Dunno if it's been covered, but I like the silver $549 looks great but don't know if I want to spend that much plus tax. All the pictures of the sport looks cheap looking, what do you think?

Think I should just get the cheaper one or pay up for the $200?

2. Diana Prince macrumors member

Diana Prince

I could care less if someone thinks it looks cheap. In my opinion NONE of the bands are worth the asking price. I'm paying for that little square doo hickie in the middle.

3. Phillybizzle macrumors regular

4. bribri99 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, not the band. I meant the Apple Watch Silver vs. Apple Watch Sport.

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Sport is going to be lighter weight, and probably feel a bit like the back of the iPhone 6. It'll definitely feel premium, but the steel will have more of the premium weight and feel to it. As for the looks, I feel like the Sport's digital crown is a bit cheap looking, otherwise it looks great.

I'm in an internal battle on what to get myself. I want the Steel, but I don't necessarily like the "chrome" look. It's tough.

6. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You mean $200?

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

$150 extra for what? The move to stainless is a $200 difference.

8. bribri99 thread starter macrumors regular

9. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

There are two things here:

1. I don't think the photographs on Apple's website do any of the models justice, especially the Sport. Many reviewers have commented on this and said that you'll be blown away when you see/wear one in person.

2. My take on the Sport is not that it looks cheap, but that it looks more utilitarian for an active lifestyle. It is the opposite of the fashion-forward flashiness of the Watch and Edition models. Depending on your taste and needs, one may serve you better.

I'm not buying a Sport because I can't afford the SS, I'm buying it because it fits my desired aesthetic and usage needs. For many people, a look that says "I'm active, fit, and healthy" is worth more than whatever the SS says about you, even if it is cheaper at the time of purchase.

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Did you find some good real world pictures (not from Apple) do back this up?

11. Joe HS macrumors 6502

I doubt the aluminium is going to feel cheap as iPhones don't but the ceramic back and sapphire display of the Steel watch will feel better and wear much better over time, so that may be worth the price increase to you.

Personally I'm not sure how much I like the look of the steel given how much it shines - and that might not wear as well as the sapphire so it's hard to say.

I think I like how the sport looks, just a shame about the glass.

12. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I'm a little annoyed that seemingly every single reviewer of the watch was given the same model: 42mm stainless. It makes it very difficult to tell what the other ones look like on a real person.

13. natallica macrumors 6502

I'm buying the aluminum because it's a v1 product and I'm guessing that Apple will release a new model next year so I can't see myself spending a ton of money every year.

14. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to buy the cheap one. If I bond to it I can always upgrade.

It's da money :eek:

Tim Cook can tool around in his 'whatever' but us plebs gotta pay bills (and buy more Apple junk :) )

15. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

You could care less? So you do care a bit?

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

True. Bait and switch.

Unintentional of course.

There's just too many models.

17. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

To my eyes, the aluminium version looks totally awesome. I was dead-set on the stainless, but over time my opinion shifted and now I actually prefer the alu version. The silver case goes great with the white sports band, and I'll get the black band as well if I find the white band smudges easily.

Can't wait until I can buy one. Seriously, I want this thing soooo bad it's totally pathetic, lol.

18. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Lenny baby chill out.

What will the chicks think? Your in serious dweeb territory here :D

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

"Dweeb" is my middle name, and I'm proud of it! :D

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I came to the same conclusion too but I prefer the Space Gray Sport. Of course, seeing the price of the Stainless model with the band I wanted (leather loop) helped quite a bit lol.

21. econoar macrumors regular

I'm all about the space grey aluminum. I think it looks better than the stainless personally and given the weight difference and price different, I'm all in on aluminum.

Plus, stainless steel scratches VERY easily. Meanwhile the back of my 6+ has been caseless for months now and I don't notice many scratches on the space grey alum.

22. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I do not think it looks cheap. It is a style thing. If I still wore a lot of Silver then I would love it. I Love Stainless Steel watches so that was my choice. $999 is NOT too much for something I will wear for 5600 hours a year.

23. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

I'm getting the 38mm Sport with a blue band. I think that it looks great! I don't think it looks cheap, especially when its by itself (not surrounded by the SS or Editions. If anything, it is probably my favorite because it matches the matte-ish finish of the iPhone. (If I had the silver iPhone 6, it'd be even better, but I gots to have that gold...:D) For the second question, no, I don't think that I'd be willing to spend another $200 on it, but that's just me, and I'm a notorious cheapskate. If it did something better or more impressive than a Sport model, that'd put me in a whole other realm of thought, but the only clear advantage is the Sapphire screen, which is clearly superior. If you aren't a total klutz, you'll be fine though (I'm a total klutz, and even I'm not worried). I don't imagine this thing falling off your wrist, the worst thing that could happen is if you fell while moving at a high rate of speed (ridding a bike, skateboard, etc) or if you are totally inebriated and can no longer keep your balance (at which point you really should request an Uber on your watch). If its style that you are going after, the SS model is a safe bet and probably worth the money, but if you're into exercise or really want to get your geek on, the Sport is what you need to watch out for.

24. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

I agree with this! It's about your personal style and taste. Personally I think the sport looks just as good as any other model

25. 123playcard macrumors newbie

Unless you wear it with suit at a formal event, Sport watch and band will be fine for casual dressing :cool: