Convince me to buy a Mac..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomoman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tomoman macrumors newbie

Alright so I definitely want a new computer. I just landed a job straight out of college and I am still using my Dell Inspiron 6000 that I purchased in the summer of 2005. I mainly only use my computer to play World of Warcraft and browse the web (however I actually seem to be using my iPhone more to do that). But I want something that is going to last me a while. I am definitely leaning towards a laptop for mobility reasons, and thinking about puchasing a top of the line MacBook pro. I'm just not sure if it's worth it though. I know I say I want a laptop but for like $3000+ one could build a ridiculous desktop computer. Is the perfomance, reliability and security actually what I'd be paying for? Or are the big prices just for the name? What do you guys suggest? I also was debating an iMac as well because of it's compactness. This is such a tough decission!

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Why do you need to spend $3000...what exactly makes you want "top of the line?" is it just for the title or are you going to be using it for serious power? Based on what you use your computer for, you don't need a top-of-the-line laptop and should be more than happy spending a little over $1000 on a 13" MBP.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Do you actually need mobility? You say you use your phone to browse the web more and more and that consists of 50% of your computer use.

If the mobility is merely theoretical in nature just buy an iMac.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

one thing that you have to consider about the price is that you will be paying a lot now, but the resale value of a mac stays higher much longer than a pc and studies have shown them to have much higher longevity that comparable pcs. as for what computer you want, go with a laptop. i love having a laptop because if i want to sit on the couch and play/chat/listen to music, i can. if i want to lay down before i go to sleep and chat/facebook, i can. the portability of a laptop is the best and i may never buy a desktop

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Well, I doubt anyone will be able to convince you, but we can give you pros and cons.

First of all, I don't think the MacBook Pro is worth nearly $3000, but that doesn't mean that you won't get a great machine that you'll really enjoy and get great value for if you choose to resell it in the future. You also mentioned mobility, which would steer me away from the 17-inch MBP and more towards the 15" or 13". To me, 17-inch machines are desktop replacements, not machines that were meant to be carried around a lot.

Also, keep in mind the cost of any software that you'll have to buy in making the switch from Windows to OS X. Good luck in making your decision.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

For $3000 you could get an iMac and a Macbook Pro. ( albeit not top of the line models )

I have both a 24" iMac and a 15" Macbook Pro.

I am not a gamer, I use them for my work.

About 5 years ago I jumped off the Windows bandwagon over to Apple and OSX. After a year of use I was sold, I moved my family over to Mac as well.

Kids can be hell on computers, and when they had Windows boxes I was resolving a problem almost daily. It was to the point I didn't even ask what happened or how. It was easier to use System Restore and move on.

Well they have been on Macs for four years now, and during that time I have had no reason to restore or reinstall anything on their machines.

Don't know what to tell you. Are Macs more expensive then say a Dell or Gateway, if you are talking cash out of pocket yes. Are they worth the difference? In my case, most definitely.

7. tomoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. I am definitey going laptop as I usually lay in bed at night with my gf playing WoW as she reads or something. I agree that the 17 inch isn't very mobile however I have been playing WoW for 4+ years on low settings with eveything turned off on a low resolution 15 inch screen. I am looking for a much better experience out of the only computer game I play. What specs would you guys suggest?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Just finished college huh? Guess they didn't do a very good job cause your spelling sucks!!

Why not buy another PC? They're cheaper and judging from what you tell us, you don't really need a Mac. I think you just want it cause you think it'll gives you posing rights. If i were you, i'd get a dictionary first. :p

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'd suggest reading along with her or showing more interest in her life instead of a virtual one.

Get any 17" MacBook Pro made in the last two years. You'll be able to run it on full settings.

10. nizmoz macrumors 65816

The basic 13", 15" and 17" laptop will work just fine for WOW and other games. My base 15" with 4 gig of ram, 9400m, and 2.53ghz processor plays it just fine.

And to the other guys. Lay off the spelling. We all make mistakes online.

11. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well, according to this thread, you'll get decent frame-rates at mid-level settings. These are for the 9400M and 9600M. The mid/upper end iMac has an option for a 4850, which I'm sure would run WoW quite well, for a price :p.

I was sort of in the same position as you two years ago, when I sold my 8 month old Dell laptop for my current iMac. I have not regretted this decision once. The iMacs are great machines, and I'm sure I'll have mine for a while longer.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Get an alienware, you dont need a mac for playing fantasy games and surfing the web. Main reason being, youll drop a load on a mbp, then cry on here about how it wont run your game things on high settings.

13. tomoman thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you guys English teachers? I'm still getting used to typing on my iPhone and I'm still unsure of what I want to get. I love the iPhone and I'm sure I'd love a mac too. Based on the responses I may just get a different laptop that'll definitely be able to run it on max settings.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Macs are nice, you would probably really like it. But mac laptops are not gaming computers, simple as that. You have to get a mac desktop for such things.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well.. Mac ain't completely useless with games cause I play games on my Mac and it rocks!!! :D:D Then again it ain't a three grand laptop, either! It's closer to a ten grand supped up workstation with it's Octo-Core with 20Gb O'RAM, lalalala with tripple 30" displays. The only thing on there that needs upgrading is that annoying video card which only works on Windows!! Think I'll buy an GTX-295 and reflash it for Mac/PC :D

I just wish it's an octo-core Nehalem. Maybe if I ask santa nicely, I'll get one for crimbo. ;):D

16. gorjan macrumors 6502

Why do people bother with all these "convince me"-threads?

If you want a Mac and feel that you need it for some reason or other, buy it, if not buy a PC, what do I care? It's not like we'll all be jumping in our seats of happiness because you purchased a Mac... There are plenty of reasons to purchase a Mac on Apple's website (that's apple.com if you're not familiar with it), and there are 500 other threads with the same questions as yours. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't hold myself...

17. kindtampa macrumors newbie

kindtampa

I'm a 15+ year windows developer. I had a 2.4ghz 2GB RAM tower, and a 1.8ghz 2 GB RAM Sony laptop.

I bought an 20" iMac to do some iPhone development.

6 months later... I bought a 13" MBP. My windows PC is turned off, and sitting in the corner. My sony laptop is occasionally turned on to pull files off of it.

I'm completely converted, and not looking back. If I need to .NET development I use VMWare & Windows 7.

18. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If you want people to "convince" you.. then do you actually need a new computer? When I know I need something, I usually just go out and buy it. No convincing involved. But that's just me.

I don't think you need a top of the line MacBook Pro for what you're going to do. Maybe get one with the 9600 for better WoW performance. ..or get the Dell.

19. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

It's all about preference. Also, are you willing to pay for quality.... I hear people all the time saying Mac is expensive compared to Windows and I agree but you're paying for quality, looks, and status. If you don't like it, go with PC. I got a Mac because I was sick and tired of PC with all the crap you needed just to do what I needed to do. Antivirus, Spyware, Firewall, Photo editing software, and what not. With Mac, it comes with practically all the softwares you ever need for a typical user. Although you still need to purchase Office or iWork...

20. ikos macrumors regular

Why in the world would you buy a masterpiece like the MBP to play games on it? I have an xbox for games. It's such a shame to use it for gaming. Just stick with your pc's and play your little games.

21. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The 15 inch MacBook Pro plays WoW fine. You'll love its display and the glass finishing that will make the colours pop out. Either way WoW is getting behind in the graphics department, so your MBP will take it fine. Maybe once Starcraft II is released you can push your machine.

I say go buy a Mac, you won't regret it.

22. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

Show the studies. I lost 800 on my MBA rev B in 4 months since I bought it in March.

Perk about PCs is they can be upgraded cheaply and easily.

23. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Same here... but then MacBook Air is a special case as it was overpriced to begin with. Look at the prices of PowerBooks (or classic MBPs) compared to PC laptops of similar age.

24. Yairp macrumors newbie

Don't

Don't* buy a Mac...

* I was going for reverse psychology, did it work?

25. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with playing games on a Mac?...