Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Same here... but then MacBook Air is a special case as it was overpriced to begin with. Look at the prices of PowerBooks (or classic MBPs) compared to PC laptops of similar age.

Ha, yah, i think comparing a MBA isnt the same. I mean, lots of people consider those to be useless and overpriced.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with playing games on a Mac?...

He probably feels like i do. Buying a computer with one of the main purposes being to play games is ridiculous. Get a PS3 or Xbox. much better, cheaper, easier to use/setup. Much cheaper/easier, to use large HD tv and surround sound. Then again, i found better things to do other than play games for hours and hours. I guess some dont grow old of games after they are over 16.

Jongewehr

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2009
why buy a mac , cause iv used pcs for the past eternity , switched a couple months ago, an never looked back, OSX isnt perfect, but its soo much better,

youll love a Mac

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Ok, here goes: 5 Reasons why you should get a Mac

1. if you buy a Mac, automatically you'll get more poon-tang because it is so cool that women will, upon hearing you have a Mac, want to jump your bones.

2. You will acknowledged as being 'smarter', better looking, more musically inclined and have whiter teeth.

3. A Mac will cause you to levitate, hence, you'll save energy because you will be able to 'out-Prius' a Prius.

4. It is a status symbol that you 'have arrived'. It is the 'Audemars Piguet' of computers.

5. You will be able to cancel your order of Extenze because a Mac will make that 'special spot' bigger all on its own!

:eek:

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I have an old Inspiron 6000 laying around and it is noticeably larger and heavier than my 15" MBP.

That being said, with $3K to spend I'd give you two recommendations:

1) Buy the 17" MBP and don't look back, it weighs about what most 15" Windows laptops weigh, it's only 1.1 lbs heavier than the 15 MBP so I don't see portability being an issue, I'm thinking about trading up to one myself.

2) Another option is to get a 15" MBP and a really good 24" Monitor so you can have the best of both worlds.

Both options would leave you plenty of $ for accessories & such

So what if you don't really "need" a $3K computer? if you have it to spend without consequences then spend it and enjoy the results.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
The fact that you are on this site posting to this forum pretty much sums it up that you have already made your decision, so shut up and go buy one already.

P.S. Welcome to the world of perfection:apple:

dlhuss

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
...but the resale value of a mac stays higher much longer than a pc...

and studies have shown them to have much higher longevity

Resale is good, but all the recent Macbook Pro's resale is kind of sucking since most of them have a suspect video card. Some PCs' resale is good too (i.e. Thinkpad)

Do you have a link to those "longevity" studies? Are you comparing $2500 MBPs to $399 PCs? Because, since Macs are Intel "PCs", I don't see why a comparable spec'd Mac vs. PC would last longer. (especially when my mac runs hotter and heat leads to death) For example, lame "studies" ;-) show they're ranked behind Thinkpads in reliability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-asus-lenovo-computer-reliability,7364.html

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
Resale is good, but all the recent Macbook Pro's resale is kind of sucking since most of them have a suspect video card. Some PCs resale is good too (i.e. Thinkpad)

Do you have a link to those "longevity" studies? Are you comparing $2500 MBPs to $399 PCs?

LOL! My PC's have been recycled - and my Apple's won't die! I still have the ones listed below...I'm sure others on this site will have similar stories. But I too would love to see a study with more than one user :p

poematik14

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
Alright so I definitely want a new computer. I just landed a job straight out of college and I am still using my Dell Inspiron 6000 that I purchased in the summer of 2005. I mainly only use my computer to play World of Warcraft and browse the web (however I actually seem to be using my iPhone more to do that). But I want something that is going to last me a while. I am definitely leaning towards a laptop for mobility reasons, and thinking about puchasing a top of the line MacBook pro. I'm just not sure if it's worth it though. I know I say I want a laptop but for like $3000+ one could build a ridiculous desktop computer. Is the perfomance, reliability and security actually what I'd be paying for? Or are the big prices just for the name? What do you guys suggest? I also was debating an iMac as well because of it's compactness. This is such a tough decission!

Because Im getting one, and we can be mac buddies :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
sign.jpg

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Hmm.. Just finished college huh? Guess they didn't do a very good job cause your spelling sucks!!

From you, "the genius" just a few posts later:

"...with it's Octo-Core with 20Gb O'RAM, lalalala with tripple 30" displays."

You spelling nazis crack me up. (And you never learn. :D)

And to the OP: If all you do with a PC is play one silly game and surf the web I certainly wouldn't waste the dough on a mac. It's overkill.

anguyenn

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Visit the Apple Store and convince yourself, nobody will really care whether or not you get a Mac.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
He probably feels like i do. Buying a computer with one of the main purposes being to play games is ridiculous. Get a PS3 or Xbox. much better, cheaper, easier to use/setup. Much cheaper/easier, to use large HD tv and surround sound. Then again, i found better things to do other than play games for hours and hours. I guess some dont grow old of games after they are over 16.

Its not ridiculous, I personally have both a MBP SR and a dual monitor gaming/media center desktop that I use mainly. The MBP is my secondary machine, and is perfectly able to play many of today's games, albeit not at extremely high settings.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Show the studies. I lost 800 on my MBA rev B in 4 months since I bought it in March.

Perk about PCs is they can be upgraded cheaply and easily.

You bought an MBA and sol it in FOUR MONTHS?????

Why sell it after only four month?????

Maybe the problems you had with an MBA are the reason nobody likes them and are dumping them for an MBP.

Every company will eventfully make a *dud* product, the MBA is an Apple *dud*.

I had a G5 PowerMac - sold it when it was almost 18 months old. I got almot 85% of what I paid for it. Also had a similar experience with a two year old 15" G4 Powerbook.

The Macbook Air is THE product that will hurt resale averages.

Why would anyone buy one??? They are underpowered, under featured and OVER PRICED !!!!!!

suekitch

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Please don't let WoW decide what computer you buy. I've made that mistake, and it led to me dumping my old MBP (it ran too hot for my liking, a 2007 model) for another Windows laptop.

Now I've quit WoW guess what? I'm back to using a Mac...

Worth saying of course that Macs can game just fine, especially when it is something like WoW that comes in a Mac version too. My 13" gets very nice FPS (I installed it to test it out before my sub expires, I just wanted to finish the midsummer stuff).

It's just.. there's so much more to using a computer than playing WoW. Having a Mac, for me, just makes every other task that bit more enjoyable, and don't even get me started on the amazingness that is iLife :)

A computer you buy now will outlast WoW, believe me (can you really see yourself playing in another three years?). If you've been playing for four years (3.5 for me before I quit) you must be tiring of it; tiring of Blizzard introducing hard modes to make you do dungeons four times instead of giving four dungeons to work through etc? And all this nonsense now about swapping faction etc... WoW is dying a death and they're trying to rake in as much cash as they can; it's obvious that the developers are all on their 'new MMO'.

And you'll never, ever, ever get a 100% smooth gaming experience from WoW, no matter your rig. The biggest bottleneck now is the hard drive speed - loading up all the NPCs in Dalaran and the like - and unless you play from USB there's not much that can be done.

So have a serious think about what you need from your next computer; and try your hardest to put WoW out of your mind if I were you. Any of the new MBPs will play WoW just fine (as said I'm on a base model 13" and I've been very impressed with the FPS), don't overspend because you think you need top spec for a game you might not even want to play before long.

Think about portability too etc, whether it'll become important to you with your job to have a smaller machine, and battery life and the like.

Tonyrage

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I dont know what you do for a living, but about 8 months ago and after my desktop PC took a dookie on me i decided to make the jump. since im a photographer/musicians a couple of friends told me that i would love a mac. Well, i went to the bottom of the chain and got a brand new Mac mini 1.8 from the apple store, i upgrade it to 3gb ram and got a 750gb external HD.
the minis are good coz you can take em places in a backpack or something, but youll need a monitor once you get there. thats what got me interested in getting a Powerbook G4 1.67 a few days ago, and i love it!!! I get the best of both worlds!! my wife has a PC laptop and I wont touch it for the world! everytime I do, i run into some problem... or its just plain slower than my bit-older mac.
anyway, just think about it and make the right decision.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with playing games on a Mac?...

price for price buying a mac for gaming is considerably overpriced for the hardware you get vs a windows laptop. we are talking hardware so don't go blabbing about "osx" and etc.

mac ports 99.9% suck. running bootcamp on the unibody mbp have the 9600mgt running and need some form of fan control downloaded that isn't automtically supported and even still tends to overheat.

now with that said...its not all doom and gloom as gaming on a mac is considerably better than what it was - however, if you want on the go gaming pick up a windows (7) laptop.

anguyenn

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Get a desktop for games, I realize some students do not have the room but if that's the case it generally means you're in school and shouldn't be dedicating so much of your leisure time playing video games (find a new hobby) anyway!

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Its not ridiculous, I personally have both a MBP SR and a dual monitor gaming/media center desktop that I use mainly. The MBP is my secondary machine, and is perfectly able to play many of today's games, albeit not at extremely high settings.

As far as price goes, its kinda silly dishing out a ton of money to play games on a computer. Like i say, get a PS3. Now, its not near as ridiculous as these gaming mice. I mean really, all that money for a mouse? I think youve failed if you buy a mouse that can be weighted and balanced and stuff. I saw one at Best Buy last year, and all i could think is, Youve got to be kidding me.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I prefer Macs for my work. They are more stable and I do not have any of the freezing and rebooting of my PC using peers. I used to use a Sony Vaio for gaming because my older x1600 equipped MBP was not all that powerful for games. That meant carrying two laptops when I travelled for business and wanted to play in the evening.

However, my new uMBP automatically uses the nvidia 9600 in Windows and this card is more than capable of handling the RTS and role-playing games I play. I sold the Sony so now I only need one machine and it only cost $1449 as a refurb.

That said, there is nothing wring with Windows as long as you are very careful with your surfing and downloading habits. Also must take care not to install programs you're not sure about and keep your anti-virus and anti-spyware software current and make sure they are legitimate programs and not trojans for the very ills you seek to prevent. This same issues will apply to any bootcamp partition you create in the event you ever play Windows games (Since WOW has a Mac version you won't need bootcamp at first).

So you see Macs are great machines at a reasonable price (refurbs especially) and you only have to carry one computer to enjoy gaming goodness for all but the most demanding games.

Cheers,

As far as price goes, its kinda silly dishing out a ton of money to play games on a computer. Like i say, get a PS3. Now, its not near as ridiculous as these gaming mice. I mean really, all that money for a mouse? I think youve failed if you buy a mouse that can be weighted and balanced and stuff. I saw one at Best Buy last year, and all i could think is, Youve got to be kidding me.

Some of us don't like console games, this is especially true for RTS titles. It truly annoys me when people say "silly to play on a computer when you can buy an xbox-ps3 for less". If the person enjoys computer games, suggesting a console is just "silly"!

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
Although I agree with many here who say we shouldn't have to convince you...

1. Do you like BSOD? Because you'll still get it no matter what you spend on a PC. Not to mention malware. I know you like that.

2. You don't need to spend $3K. A mediocre Mac can trump a powerful PC due to the architecture.

3. I play WoW just fine on my MBP and it wasn't as much as you're talking about spending.

4. Buy a Mac - get a free PC (license not inc.) I, as many Mac users do, keep a virtual PC on my Mac in case of need. It works just fine.

Now, I am not saying that a Mac can't be messed up - you'll find that given the slim percentage of regular Mac users vs. PC users, we still have a vast amount of various issues. Nothing is perfect. However, when it comes to choosing the lesser of two evils (or the more powerful) you'll be quite happy with your purchase if you choose to go Mac. Just be sure you're willing to give yourself time required to adapt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.