Convince me to get a Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazlunatic, Apr 15, 2007.

1. crazlunatic macrumors newbie

Alright Apple fans, here's your chance to shine.
    I'm a Grade 11 high-school student and can't decide the
    12-inch Windows Vista DELL XPS Laptop
    and
    the 13-inch white Apple Macbook (or any other macbook that suits me)

Please tell me why I should get a Macbook over a regular Laptop. I know a lot about Windows Vista so you don't have to tell me that Vista has a lot of bugs, lacks driver support, and tried to copy the MAC OS X.

If you guys are succesful, I will be waiting until Leopard comes out (this october I believe) to pick up my Mac =)

Btw, I game (sometimes) but not hardcore gamer

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

if you really want a complete comp you should get a mac,, you will love mac os x, AND if you love vista too, no problem you can also run vista with your mac, so you can do with your mac exactly what you can with your pc AND MORE....

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The Macbook is more portable. I know it sounds weird, but my friend has a macbook, and I have a dell 700m (teh XPS replaced it,,,and the XPS is slightly larger), and the inspiron is bulkier than the macbook. The macbook is way thinner and sleeker. The design is better.

But buy the laptop for the OS. Mac OS is really great. I've been using PCs all my life, and only recently switched to Mac. It's just more pleasant to use imo, but you need to see for yourself. Head down to the apple store and try it out..if you dont like the OS, get the Dell . But give the OS an hour or so...for the first 10 minutes I didnt really know what I was doing. Each day I like Mac OS X better, it grows on you.

6. PCtoMac-change macrumors member

If I have to convince you to get it, you must not really want one.

7. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Praise the lord!!! haha just kidding. I would have to say if your into creating things like music, or websites, blogs, podcasts, editing movies, you will love the compatibility between applications in the iLife suite. Plus, you have nothing to lose. They give you two weeks after a purchase for whether or not you wan to return it. And I mean, It's something different. When presented the chance with a different OS I was excited. And even if you aren't into creation or editing, the Mac is a great chance to get into it. I never thought I would make as much music as I do in Garrageband, or edit as many movies as I do in iMovie ( I have 11 on Youtube and I'll soon be adding about three more)

-PhotoBooth is just fun as well, and when you get it, you will be able to record video with neat effects, even now my friends and I spent about two hours playing with PhotoBooth at me B-Day party.

- It does everything a PC can do, and more. You can get iWork for a word Processor (Pages), and a Presentation maker (Keynote) and export them so they integrate with your friends Windows Office. Or, you could just get Office for Mac

-You can patrol the internet and know that you will be safe from catching any virus that someone could pass to you through AIM, MSN, or ICQ or anything. You also don't have to worry about downloading a file and having it be a trojan, or trying to download an Application and it being a virus. You would have to be an idiot to let OS X download a virus.

-Built-in firewall just incase someone out there actually DOES have enough time on their hands, expertise, and still has no girl/boyfriend (whatever, I don't discriminate) to create a virus

-Easy to learn. I caught on quick with OS X, it is very simple, and it just works. I've actually been hearing that a lot from my friends on PC's (if everyone is saying it, you think it might be true?)

-Comes with built-in support for just about everything. I mean, it comes with a gig of printer drivers!!! A GIG!!!! Bluetooth, Airport Wireless Networking, FireWire, USB 2, monitor support, audio/optical in/out.

-Front Row. Definitely a useful media browser for your pics, songs in iTunes, DVDs videos. And even if you don't use front row, I am always reaching over to the side of my iMac (I know you want a macbook) to press the play button, next and the volume.

-Dashboard. The widgets (mini applications) I have, I could play with for hours and hours (stupid little addicting basketball game!!!) It comes with a translator, weather, dictionary (some of the popular ones I have open)

-You won't have to deal with the mess that is Flip 3D. Expose is simple, not RAM consuming, and it even tells you what application you are hovering over when you hit whatever hotkeys you have it on ( I have it set to the squeeze buttons on my Mighty Mouse) It just scatters any programs that you have open so you can easily find them (Kind of like searching through a pile on a desk, you spread all the papers out)

-The Macbook (white) is just damn sexy, and the glowing apple makes me hot (Ow ow *tissssssssssss*) It is a super head turner (I would know, anytime I see someone with one, I stare until they notice me, then I look away. 0_0)

-There isn't a registry. So you know (for the most part) whether or not you have uninstalled an application (dragging from the application folder into the trash can and then emptying it) They are self contained so that you don't have to look everywhere for the files.

When you get your Mac, it'll be like meeting someone knew, You'll say, hello, turn it on, get it to know you by setting up a user account, taking a picture for the account pic, setting up the internet connection, and Voila, you are ready to get acquainted with your new friend straight from the production line in China ^_^. For the next few weeks, you will absolutely be infatuated with the aqua scroll bars (if they are kept...who knows) and all the non-RAM consuming eye candy you could imagine! (subtle shadows, the windows melting into the dock when you minimize them, and there's even a slo-mo mode when you hold down shift and then hit the little yellow - button at the top left hand corner of the screen

Yeah......Get a Mac....You won't go back

Magic.........*whispery voice* Is everywhere! *whispery voice*

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you need that much convincing then you should get a dell. It should be a rather easy decision in my book. After 28 years with windows I went to a mac and needed about 5 minutes for someone to tell me it was a good choice. I would have bought even if they said it was a poor choice. :)

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

What a waste of time. Why don't you do the research yourself and use that to make a decision. Just because someone here thinks it is good doesn't mean you will. Do your own "convincing." You have a brain, right?

10. Neptunian macrumors member

Go get it. U won't regret about it, for sure. I've switched for almost a year (10 months to be exact) n i love my Macbook more than ever.... Not just because of the design, but oso because of the OSX. It is much much better than any Windows out there.... even Vista!

11. wako macrumors 65816

Honestly... from reading this... DONT GET A MAC!

If you are truely a dumb kid that needs to be influenced to buy something or someone, DONT BUY IT, you will only regret it later and then blame others.

Grow up and make your decisions, rather than always asking others of what you should buy. If you really want a mac, and it fits your needs, then buy it. If a PC probably will be working better for you than buy that.

12. SalukiWildcat macrumors member

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Get it. you know you want it.:)

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

For the sake of your sanity, go MAC ......... Now :)

FJ

14. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

That has to be the stupidist reply I have ever read on here... Here, drink this coolaid.. it's good.. what, you're questioning me.. how dare you, you must be kidding me.. I said drink it you moron.

15. osirisX macrumors regular

Agreed. You have to decided if it's the right choice for you.

16. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I completely disagree. Be a slave to the forums. Let us make up your mind. We have the technology, we have the experience. There is no need for you to expend any brain power whatsoever. We got your back. Be a drone.

BTW, we charge for this service... Self-flagellation is however, still free.

17. deadkenny macrumors regular

Macs are more communicative. When I got my MacBook just "coincidentily" all my collegues would come walk by my office, ask stupid questions and then say "oh wow, is that one of those new intel Macs?"

The other (more important for you) thing is: It won't ever let you down. I bought this because it could dual boot Windows or run Windows on Parrallels. I still have Windows installed, but it's been more than half a year (no kidding) that I booted it :)

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If you have to ask, then you will not understand the answer.

19. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Ugh.

I hate threads like this. You're 11, you've clearly not made any efforts to even look at the benefits to Mac OS X or a MacBook on Apple's website, you barely say anything about what you'd want to do with your laptop, where you'd take it, what your hobbies/interests are, etc... and to top it all off, you're acting like this is some kind of assignment for the readers of this forum.

Comments have already been posted with links to Apple's own "Get A Mac" website as well as three identical threads, and there ARE probably a dozen more for every Apple product line, if not more. There are MacRumors guides, too.

If you need someone to personally sell you on something, then lower your expectations of getting the truth, and go to a salesperson who wants some commission. We're here because we like to learn and research things, as well as discuss, not to do the work of comparing and contrasting and writing copy for an 11-year-old. :rolleyes:

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Speak for yourself. I'm here to get help, participate in discussions, but also to give whatever small bit of help I can back to the community. BTW I don't think he's 11 - he's in Grade 11, which I'm guessing is older.

To the OP - macs just make life easy. It's as simple as that. The bundled apps are very, very good. There's freeware or open source software to cater for most needs. Maintenance is minimal.

I find I get a lot more done, and the size of the MacBook is great for use on the go (I'm on the go a lot). It's great to have confidence that your machine will do what you need it to do when and where you need to do it. That alone makes a MacBook worth it.

21. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i love my macbook. could you say that about a Dell notebook?

22. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Given the rampant indecision that we encounter on this forum concerning purchase choices, screen options, amount of memory and the like, it is refreshing that there have not been threads with these titles (so far):

Which underwear ... Fruit of the Loom or Hanes?
    When should my wife and I decide to conceive!
    Dinner for tonight: Leftover chicken or pasta?

23. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Certainly not !!!!

I came across this rather funny pic (I had to slightly modify the text)

FJ:)

Attached Files:

24. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

This is really a no brainer, the question was valid during the iBook G4 times but not now with Intel's in them.
    With the MacBook you get the best of both worlds, you have OSX and God knows if you must you can install Winblows too, and run it either native or via emulation.
    The Dell can't run OSX.