Convince me to get the MacBook over a MBP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seven7seven, May 27, 2009.

1. seven7seven macrumors regular

I was set on a MB but then when I went to the Apple Store I really disliked the small and bad quality screen on the MB and I REALLY want a MBP now.

I know I don't need it (all i do is media/web) but I can't be satisfied with a MB now that I want a MBP.

I need reassurance to getting a MB!

:D:D:D:D

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Save up for a few months and get the MBP. :cool:

3. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I thought I was going to need the MBP too as an engineering student, but I got the MB and like the small size. I agree the screen has horrid viewing angles and black levels, but that's why the screen tilts to your eyes' height. I got the 2.4, so it was the same as the MBP besides the graphics, which I realized I didn't need since I have a 360 and Wii to game on.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Then buy a Pro.

That's like saying "I won't be satisfied buying a Hyundai, so convince me to buy one." :rolleyes:

5. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

I hear the newer MacBooks are coming with better quality screens. I know mine did, the blacks are pitch black. I got mine during March, so the MacBooks they are currently selling now may have the better quality screens.

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I had a Blackbook and now an Aluminum Mac, and I never had a problem with the screen on either one. It seems absolutely fine to me.

7. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The screen on the aluminum macbooks aren't any worse than the old plastic macbook screens. Personally I was in your same position and I decided to hold out and get the Macbook Pro because I am OCD and i know that I could never live with a subpar screen. One of my friends has an aluminum macbook though and honestly I could hardly tell the difference. One thing I will say though is that on a recent flight, I was very happy to have the Macbook Pro as I was sharing the screen with my wife on a very cramped airplane tray table. The only reason we were able to both able to enjoy the movie was due to the fact that the screen has superb viewing angles.

But in getting the Macbook you can be assured that the savings in cost will be significant. Don't do like I did and fool yourself into comparing a maxed out macbook with a base line macbook pro. The first thing I ended up doing when I got my Macbook Pro was maxing out the ram and swapping out the hard drive. So thats what I would have done with the Macbook as well. Also be careful to shop around, you can get some REALLY good deals if you know where to look. Get those mail in rebates.

8. MacLover4491 macrumors member

get the white macbook. The price is really good. Apple dont make as much profit on the white macbook as the macbook pro.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A few people have reported this on the macbook section. The screens are different from the 9c89's, etc., on the originals. They're reporting in that the ones bought in April and May of 2009 has contrast and viewing angles comparable to the macbook pros.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Convince me to get the MacBook over a MBP!

it's cheaper.

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If you order from apple you are most likely to get one of the newer screens and they are fantastic compared to the older unibody macbook screens. Brighter then my 15 that it hurt at times.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Just plain not worth all the bucks. The new plastic MB announced yesterday
    is SUCH a bargain at $999.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

MB is way more portable. Its seriously the best of bunch between MBA and MBP with subtle trade-offs against both performance v/s portability. Of course, not to mention, the price is a sweet spot too..

In the end its your choice really, I own both btw..

14. Nobita macrumors 6502

See I'm assuming you're a student, yes? With MacBook you could slip it off to your backpack and go. In lectures you can write all your notes, and also look at your ebooks or lecture notes. MacBook is only 2kg!

Secondly, look at the price. It is ridiculous. I'd be better of buying macbook, either the polycarbonate one or the aluminum. Polycarbonate is theoretically on par with aluminum though, they have faster processor and slower RAM. I count it they're almost on the same speed.

I have aluminum 2.0 GHz though. Love it. Super fast and beautiful.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Essentially, it's a trade off between power, performance and that superb screen of the MBP on the one hand, and the more competitive price and greater portability of the MB on the other. Which do you need/want more?

Both are lovely machines; I have the MBP which I love, but it is my main work computer and I wanted an excellent screen and the power it offered. Your call; if finance is an issue, go for the MB and upgrade in a few years when conditions/economy etc improve.

Cheers and good luck

16. TheIrishKro macrumors newbie

TheIrishKro

I own a MBP and am looking at getting a MB. I like the small size better and since they just did a refresh on the screens you should be good to go.

17. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

If you don't need the power, go for the smaler size. I really wish my mbp was smaller. My old iBook was so easy to bring along. I feel I have to "pack" my mbp when I bring it

18. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

U can carry UMB everywhere, light weight , new screen, cheaper, I can keep going, but if you want a MBP that is what your going to get no matter we say ( ..if it was me I know I would :rolleyes:)

19. Burning Radio macrumors regular

13 inches is a lot nicer for mobility than 15. ;)

20. jklmacz macrumors newbie

Go big, go home! :cool:

On a serious note, the apple users replying here have mentioned a lot of factors that will weigh your decision. Price, weight/portability, performance etc. I'm pretty sure you will come with a clear consensus to all the above mentioned.

Good luck on your purchase.

21. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Not to mention the new macbooks have a brighter and better screen

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's smaller, cheaper… AppleCare is also cheaper.

If you don't want a MacBook, don't buy it. Don't let random people convince you otherwise and then you might go regretting it later.

Just don't go into debt in order to buy a MacBook Pro.

23. seven7seven thread starter macrumors regular

OK anyone know how the new MB screens compare to the MBA screens?

When I was at the apple store I loved the MBA and the MBP screens but the MB was terrible.
    If the new MBs are as good as the MBA I saw I think I will get a MB

24. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Very close to being the same I have used my macbook 2.4 exclusively fro last 3 weeks and have had no problems with the screen it looked very good and colours were rich.

25. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I was really considering getting one of the uMB, honestly unless you're going to do something requiring the better gfx card and a bigger screen, I'd just go with the MB, but if you won't be happy with it, then buy the MBP, remember you have 14days to return it if you decide you don't really need it.