Convince me to stay with Mac OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 7031, Jun 29, 2008.

1. 7031 macrumors 6502

First of all, I want you to be aware that I have been using Macs for around 2-3 years now. I have owned 3 macs in that time.

However, I'm starting to think that the only reason that macs are fast and reliable is because of the hardware. Windows actually runs very well on my Mac. And well, to be honest I'm sick of paying insane amount for hardware. I could build a desktop PC that could wipe the floor with a £900 iMac for around £500 + £200 for the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Also, I just don't like the idea of all in ones.

The OS is great, but I have yet to find anything I can do in Mac OS that I can't do in Windows. While I will keep Mac OS since I'm doing a BTEC in music technology, I feel pretty close to switching back.

One big thing for me with the OS though, is that I feel left in the dark. There doesn't appear to be any equivalent to Device Manager, and there is no real advanced system preferences style thing. While I wouldn't likely need such a thing, it would be reassuring to have. Also, I've had issues with my Mac that can often only be fixed by doing something drastic such as reformatting or creating a new user account or whatever. While I did have issues with Windows, they could often be fixed if I was willing to spend the time.

Basically, I just don't feel Macs are advanced enough. The OS is great, but I feel like it's aimed at idiots, since their hardware is rediculously overpriced, the OS is kinda basic and well, I'm really not seeing what it has over Windows.

Of course, I would likely continue to post here and such. I love the Mac community, and well, I'm pretty sick of Windows fanboys, but still.

Simply put, give me some reasons to stick with the Mac OS. Again, I love their macbook range, and I will be keeping my Macbook Pro, but I am seriously considering switching back to Windows.

Of course, if Apple was to release a mid-range tower, I would quite happily stay on the Mac side.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info

What's the equivalent on Windows?

Or an archive and install which isn't destructive. You may also be able to fix issues by using the command line...

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Perhaps you should read up a bit more about OSX (and particularly the power of the Unix terminal). More control on offer there than you'd probably ever want. I recommend browsing Amazon for a good in-depth book and reading it cover to cover. :)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You've convinced me. Definitely, build your own PC. Why would anyone want an overpriced computer with a basic OS built for idiots? I would do the same if I was smart enough.

5. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Goodbye. thy can join the Bill Gates show now and we shalt laugh at thee from Steve Jobs show!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't feel compelled to convince you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol. Sorry if I offended any of you. Just a bit of rant.

OK. Now to try and answer you guys:
    Done that before :D. Command line? The one thing I like about Mac OS. The Windows commandline sucks. Why I also like Linux lol. In fact, I actually really like apt-get in Debian.

Well, I just like being able to feel like I have complete control over my computer. Why I prefer building my own.

Actually, you've just made me realize that I'm an idiot.

OK then. Like I said though, I really like the Mac community.

Thankyou for understanding :D. Well, actually, I don't think it's a matter of it treating you like an idiot, I just feel it's a bit too simple.

True. I normally just Google stuff though. Heh, I actually like Debian Linux quite a lot. Shame it lacks wireless drivers by default and stuff.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If you don't like it don't buy it, if you can't find anything in Mac OS X that's worth it for you that's no problem, everyone has different tastes and that is a good thing.

For me it's expose, quicklook, the much nicer interface (whoever thought of windows blue bar with green button and yellow folders should be fired, unless you like the OS to have a fisher price look). I also prefer the finder to explorer, which is way too clumsy for my tastes. And since I'm working with my hardware I like to sit in front & look at something beautiful the whole day.

But these are all personal things.

9. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Heh. You are the first person who I actually fully agree with in this thread lol.

I must admit, quicklook and expose are actually really useful, but in Windows we have the thumbnail and previews in explorer? Not quite as powerful, but still. Also, we have the taskbar, which has the names of the program and the contents or whatever. Something that Mac OS lacks, unless the program is minimized. I suppose why it makes sense for Mac OS to have expose.

Well, I must admit, having the folders and stuff on the side is pretty useful.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Re: All-in-ones. Conquer your fear. I didn't 'get' the iMac either until I carpet-bombed my office with them. They're quiet, efficient, fantastic.

What makes you think OS X is basic? The underpinnings of it are far more advanced than Windows - with much better RAM support and management, and very good handling of multi-core and multi-CPU architectures. It sounds like you can get around Terminal fine, so the sky is the limit.

11. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

True. The noise from my PC drives me mad. I'm hoping I'll find a way to better cool it though. I might consider water cooling or something. Though, my graphics card is quite loud, so yeah.

True. The terminal is Windows is quite frankly ****.

12. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

I think if you have been on OSX for 3 years or so now, and can't see any beneifits of sticking with Apple/Mac's (of which I personally think there are many!) then it's a bit hard for us to convince you to stay.

Sorry but I really don't see the point of these threads, Macs/Pc's they are all just computers... Use whatever is going to get the job done for you, in your situation. Good luck! :)

13. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

A common hindrance that switchers have, is that they tend to look at Mac OS from a Windows point of view.

"But it was different on Windows."
    "Windows had [insert silly gadget]. I can't live without it."
    "I need to dig into Device Manager every day, first thing in the morning."
    "As a hobby, I'd rather construct my own computer."

If these are issues, then you'll definitely want windows. (…as was pointed out before in this thread. I'm just trying to make a point without being polemical.)

To put it in a nutshell: You're complaining to BMW that they don't build Mitsubishis.

My Macs are tools to get my work done. I've never lost work due to a virus on a Mac. I appreciate the design effort that transcendends a Mac on any level, be it hardware, software, or human interface guidelines.

I deeply distrust any OS that makes you klick OK when it tells you that it has just crashed, and that makes you click START when you want to shut the machine down.

14. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Like when Windows says,
    "There are too many error boxes open. Please close some to continue"?

Heh. You actually have some pretty good points, and well yeah. I suppose I'm just a complete nerd lol. But yes, the hardware on Macs is usually very high quality.

15. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

If you want complete control, build your own machine and install Linux. But saying you want complete control and then installing Windows is just plain stupid.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Convince you? Why? OS X is just another OS. If I didn't use it, I'd use Windows or Linux, and I'd be fine.

Computers aren't nearly as black and white as some here would have you believe.

17. operator207 macrumors 6502

Well there goes your price points you mentioned in your starting post. :)

You know the terminal, I would suggest looking into what you can and cannot do in the terminal. See if what your missing is there. Have you heard of macports? www.macports.org Your familiar with apt-get, its similar. If you have ever been on a FreeBSD machine, its very much like ports.

If you want convincing, I really cannot help you. But... I moved to OS X because I wanted (basically) a portable FreeBSD like environment. And FreeBSD at the time was and still is mostly, a PITA on a laptop, unless you get a laptop that just happens to be perfect hardware wise. I did NOT want a linux laptop, I am not all that fond of linux. I have been in a BSD environment since the mid 90's, and OS X is similar enough to FreeBSD to me, for me to be comfortable with it. I run windows because I have to (Work), not because I want to or need it for anything. (Not really into games on a PC). Like I said, I really could not help much. Unless you are really into FreeBSD, then maybe... :)

18. StuBeck macrumors 6502

If you're getting a desktop, I would build your own and run OS X and Windows on it. For what most people need an iMac isn't enough, and a Mac Pro is way too much.

I really like my MB, but I can't justify buying an Apple desktop.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't imagine what "most people" would need that an iMac cannot do

Seriously, I would be interested in your thoughts on this
    I think the average (most people) user does not need more than an iMac

Email
    Web browsing
    Word/Pages
    Excel/Numbers
    iPhoto
    iTunes
    Quicken
    burning CDs/DVDs
    Photoshop Elements or even Photoshop itself
    iMovie

What exactly does the iMac NOT do that most people need?

Are we talking "gaming"?
    I would say that doesn't qualify for "most people" if that is the case

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I shouldn't have used the term "most people" I apologize, but I don't need your tone. For "me" which is what I meant, it isn't enough. Also, with the newer screens, the minimum people doing photo work would want is the 24", which is rather expensive for what you get.

21. Vanilla Thunder macrumors member

LOL! I don't think that is ever going to happen. Better build a hackintosh like everybody else. Mine rocks.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You misread my "tone", because there was none when I wrote
    I merely was interested in your claim, which you have revised

It may not be enough for you... and that is fair
    But to say it is not enough for "most people" was a claim worth asking about

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If you have been using macs for 2 - 3 years, then you should know enough about the hardware, OS, and other software to make an informed decision. Looks like a matter of personal preference to me. I'm assuming that before the 2 - 3 years, you were on windows systems? Experimented with linux?
    I think you have enough experience with hardware and OS's to make a good decision for yourself without outside input.:confused:

24. moutian macrumors member

25. jplan2008 macrumors regular

O.K. So you think Mac Hardware is superior; you think Windows is as good and sometimes better than OSX; Windows runs very well on your Mac; you need OS X for music technology. And your solution is to build your own windows machine (that won't run OS X)? Why do you need ANY new machine if Windows, which you prefer, "runs very well," and I'm assuming that OS X, that you need, does also? And if you'd buy a Mac mid-range tower, what does "convincing" you about Mac OS X have to do with it? It sounds like you like changing hardware often (3 Macs in 2-3 years), in which case you won't get as much of the benefit of re-sale value of Macs vs. PC's, and yes, building your own machine might make sense, but not sure what that has to do with OS X vs. Windows (since they both run on a Mac, and you need OS X)