Convincing an irrational mother to get a piercing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mexbearpig, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Ok so I wanted to get gauges for about a 2 months now. Recently I asked my mom what she thinks of me getting them. She imediately shot me down. I asked her why and she said "Because guys don't get piercings" And I return with multiple reasons. And she admits that this is her only reason. She said that if my father says yes then she will say yes(But probably will say no either way). But I am going to ask him tonight.

But if he says no, can you guys think of any ways I could convince her? Because if not I might just get a friend to do it.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, are there actual rational reasons to get piercings? (and I do have a couple)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think this is a case of waiting until you're old enough to get your own without permission. Or throw a tantrum, either or.

4. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well, they are more of reasons to why not. But there are some inclined towards it. I've always seen body modification somewhat as an art. Althought the extreme I think is too...well extreme.
    And I would like to hear your reasons.

Oh and believe me, throwing a tantrum will only make it worse. And I speak from experience.:eek:

5. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'm not sure the "get a friend to do it" route is so wise, some things are mean't to be done by a professional - especially things that involve risk of infection.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to do it, I have piercings myself, but the reasons aren't really rational, are they? Plus there's no reason why you should get them now instead of waiting until you're older.

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I think guys with any kind of piercing look weird, but mebbe that's just me. Girls are expected to have their ears pierced, etc. Guys, blech.

But then again I'm not into guys so I guess you should either ask a guy who is or ask a girl.

9. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Yeah I guess you could say that. But I would like to experience them before I have to get a job so it won't effect me getting hired.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is there to experience? How will it make your life different.

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I have both my ears pierced, and I'm a 16 year old straight guy. Mine are stretched (gauged) to an 8. I think they look awesome, and since mine aren't really big, they're not too crazy. I guess I was lucky, my mom didn't really care and my dad just shook his head jokingly. The earrings I have in now are black dumbells with a small hole through them, I love them.
    I recommend getting it if possible. Go slow and wait for each size to heal, I went from an 18 to an 8 in one day and it was extremely painful.

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I thinkin' a couple of these might be kinda cool. Whatcha think moms? :p

Attached Files:

13. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

The experience of feeling what it's like. And I have always liked the way they look. And I guess I like some attention :eek:

benflick-If I ever get them I plan to take it very slow and gradual. I'm not going to be someone who stretches way to fast and end up messing up my ears.
    Twincities Dan-That is waaay beyond what I would ever get :p

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

ahhh I can totally relate :p I really really want to get snakebites (just small studs, not rings) but I know for certain my parents won't let me so I haven't even bothered asking.

15. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Personally I like the rings :p. But yeah my dad should be getting home any minute now. I'm very eager to ask. :eek:

16. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Yeah, sounds like your mom is totally irrational.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That's mature...playing the 'rents off each other. That pisses off parents more than the actual piercing.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Art? It's people doing something they think is counterculture for the attention or to show the world that they just don't give a f***. It sounds like you're practical when you say you want to get it now so it won't be there when you start working, but personally, I think it's completely trashy and low class. Just my opinion though.

19. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well she said it :p. And I am somewhat interested in his standpoint on the issue.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Question: Can the holes caused by gauges actually close up? Let's say you are graduated and want a career in an office that doesn't allow them... or just plain don't want them anymore...

21. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

It depends. Mainly on what size you are at. The say the most you can stretch to and go back is 0g. Although it is different for everyone. Some can go higher or lower. That is why I plan to stop at 0g.

And if you are beyond your point then you have to get stitches to seal them back up.

22. JLatte macrumors 6502

OP: Definitely do not get your piercing done by a friend. If you're getting anything gauged, you very much want to go to a professional. I got my ears pierced as a 6 gauge, stretched to 00 and now I'm just sitting at a 2 gauge.

Regarding what everyone else is saying about how they think it looks: Do what you want to do, not because you're trying to get a reaction from people. Make sure that you know the consequences of getting piercings. I have a snakebite, my septum pierced and my ears gauged. I'm a programmer, and I know that I can't just walk into a job interview with those. Don't ever expect people to accept you for the way you look. More people are going to think you look like an idiot or a lesser being of society than you did before.

Hopefully you like the way they turn out, good luck.

23. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I'm pretty sure she's a professional or was at one point. But if not I will be very hesitant. And where did you have yours pierced? Because I'm wondering if anywhere around me pierces at higher gauges.

24. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I'll be flamed by this but as a supervisor on numerous hiring committees for a federal agency, applicants with visible tattoos and/or piercings on a male (extreme piercings on a female) are immediately round-filed. YMMV. I'm not saying it's right and I don't personally agree with it (have tattoos myself) but it's how it is.