Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Obviously Tim Cook is competent and all that but... He seems to be the dry corporate-suit type no? The keynote just won't be the same without Jobs. Thoughts?

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
Well, there's only one Steve Jobs, but give Tim Cook a chance.

I for one am heartedly glad that Apple have gone for an insider rather than the jokers that have been brought into Nokia & HP, only to perform corporate suicide.

I don't deny getting out of the PC business *may* be a good move for HP, but perhaps you want to have the "what's next" part in place & making money before binning your existing business ...

And don't forget that it's because of Tim Cook that Apple is even able to vaguely satisfy demand for their devices - a pretty remarkable feat.

The biggie for me is whether any of the rest of the top tier jump ship. If they can hang onto people like Jonathan Ive, then they should be ok.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Do you think Jobs didn't have almost total control over the succession plan? Do you really think he would have made sure Tim got the role of CEO if he could not do the job?

I think you need to give the guy a chance. I don't think he is quite the dry corporate suit that you think he is.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Obviously Tim Cook is competent and all that but... He seems to be the dry corporate-suit type no? The keynote just won't be the same without Jobs. Thoughts?

You'll have to wait another 30 or so years before you see another like Jobs. Thats how often business visionaries like him come along. Before him was Walt Disney, and before that was Henry Ford.

BowTheMan89

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
what?

You'll have to wait another 30 or so years before you see another like Jobs. Thats how often business visionaries like him come along. Before him was Walt Disney, and before that was Henry Ford.

Did you really just compare jobs to the man who put an automobile in every household in the United States? the inventor of the assembly line? the man who put the nation to work on a salary of $5 a day which at the time was almost double the average salary in the country?

He's good, and he has created some great things but Henry Ford pretty much shaped the world.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Do you think Jobs didn't have almost total control over the succession plan? Do you really think he would have made sure Tim got the role of CEO if he could not do the job?

I think you need to give the guy a chance. I don't think he is quite the dry corporate suit that you think he is.

I agree. I think all will be fine. The shares closed over $400 on Friday and the pipeline of new products looks pretty good. I just hope :apple: doesn't get too complacent.

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Why all the flaming? Do you all honestly think it's that far fetched to say Jobs is a more charismatic presenter than Cook?
How is that dissing Cook? Relax people.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Why all the flaming? Do you all honestly think it's that far fetched to say Jobs is a more charismatic presenter than Cook?

Your thread title alone is a "dis" to Tim Cook.

And in all honesty, yes, I think it is far-fetched to say that. Then again, I've never seen Mr. Cook present a keynote.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Did you really just compare jobs to the man who put an automobile in every household in the United States? the inventor of the assembly line? the man who put the nation to work on a salary of $5 a day which at the time was almost double the average salary in the country?

He's good, and he has created some great things but Henry Ford pretty much shaped the world.

I think he did, and I think he is right!

MS Windows exists because of Jobs effort to make a easy to use computer.

Tablets exist because Jobs finally made a deign that worked.

So yes, Jobs is like Ford.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Jobs is a more charismatic presenter than most anyone else you can name
So why is it necessary to point it out about Cook?

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011

With Ford, you have about 80 years to look back and analyze his impact. The same cannot be said about Jobs, yet.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think he did, and I think he is right!

MS Windows exists because of Jobs effort to make a easy to use computer.

Tablets exist because Jobs finally made a deign that worked.

So yes, Jobs is like Ford.

So why does Windows have ~90% market share then? If Jobs and OS X were really so great, then shouldn't OS X have the 90% market share?

Tablets would exist without Jobs and Apple too. It's just that Apple came up with the first super popular tablet, which makes it look like they invented tablets.

Jobs made some great stuff but it's not like he revolutionized the whole world. Nobody talks about Jorma Ollila nowadays, even though he was the CEO of Nokia when they were coming up with the idea of mobile phones for everyone (i.e. the time when mobile phones started gaining wide adoption). I think Ollila is comparable to Jobs. Both ran a company which was very successful during their leadership. At some point, Apple's ship starts to sink too.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You should leave the Apple bashing to the resident experts.

So why does Windows have ~90% market share then? If Jobs and OS X were really so great, then shouldn't OS X have the 90% market share?

Where do he say anything about market share? He is correct, Windows exists because of Apple.

Tablets would exist without Jobs and Apple too. It's just that Apple came up with the first super popular tablet, which makes it look like they invented tablets.

For all intents and purposes, they didn't as no one bought them. Toshiba, HP, etc. all tried to shoehorn a PC into a tablet form factor and failed miserably, time and time again. What we call a tablet today would not exist without Apple.

Jobs made some great stuff but it's not like he revolutionized the whole world. Nobody talks about Jorma Ollila nowadays, even though he was the CEO of Nokia when they were coming up with the idea of mobile phones for everyone (i.e. the time when mobile phones started gaining wide adoption). I think Ollila is comparable to Jobs. Both ran a company which was very successful during their leadership. At some point, Apple's ship starts to sink too.

Are you kidding me? Nokia's success isn't even close to Apple's and we won't even mention where Nokia is today. Can you really say with a straight face that Nokia has impacted people's lives more than Apple. Let's see - mobile phones vs. PCs for all, iPod, iPhone, iPad.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

well your post is flame bait.

Jobs is a great marketer plain and simple but as a manager Jobs is pretty poor.

Cook in my understanding is a much better manager than jobs and Apple as long grown past the point that the micro manging style of SJ is good or even healthy for the company.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i doubt he brings back PPC processors in Mac's :(

but watch here and you know how or who Tim Cook is

and watch the Steve Jobs video from Stanford University in comparison

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Perhaps you should read up on "Microsoft Monopoly".

Also, Steve Jobs was kicked out of Apple (running NeXT and Pixar instead) when Microsoft gained its dominance using illegal anti-competitive practices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.