Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
I've disabled all but the essential cookies on macrumors. When I visit, every single time I'm asked to review my cookies settings.
I'm guessing if I accepted the cookies I wouldn't be asked on every.single.fn.visit?

It's a dirty practice and makes macrumors much less desirable. I'm visiting once a week now, whereas I was a regular.

Does anyone who has accepted all cookies get asked to review settings every time they visit???

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So I just tested this. And I don't see it popping up a dialog box every time.

The consent cookie looks to be set for 1 year.

Are you somehow clearing cookies? Or rejecting cookies? between sessions?

arn

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Arn, I waited a bit to check that there was no updating, and that I was using the same browser, etc.
Seems that of the 5 gdpr cookies, 3 of them expire after a week. The "gdpr-last-interaction" cookie seems to be the particular cookie that triggers the renewal. So once a week per browser, I'll get asked to renew my choice, and I have to Click Manage Settings and 'Accept and Save'.

Looking at the cookies, none of them are set for a year.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.22.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.22.23.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi Arn, I waited a bit to check that there was no updating, and that I was using the same browser, etc.
Seems that of the 5 gdpr cookies, 3 of them expire after a week. The "gdpr-last-interaction" cookie seems to be the particular cookie that triggers the renewal. So once a week per browser, I'll get asked to renew my choice, and I have to Click Manage Settings and 'Accept and Save'.

Looking at the cookies, none of them are set for a year.

Ironically...

Safari's anti tracking changes seem to be responsible.

Cookies set by Javascript can only be set for 7 days max. Still looking into this.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
you should disable ads, tracking, and malicious cookies for paid subscribers.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Every 3-4 months I get a cookie window opening asking me to accept the cookie. I would like to know that when consent is turned off for vendors it does not disable 'legitimate interest'? (can manually switch it to no BUT you have to do it to all the vendors and there is a huge amount making it very time consuming) why is this because to me, it means that my details are still being sent to your vendors even if the consent button is set to No. Is MR hiding something?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Every 3-4 months I get a cookie window opening asking me to accept the cookie. I would like to know that when consent is turned off for vendors it does not disable 'legitimate interest'? (can manually switch it to no BUT you have to do it to all the vendors and there is a huge amount making it very time consuming) why is this because to me, it means that my details are still being sent to your vendors even if the consent button is set to No. Is MR hiding something?
Not sure I understand your question.

But the reason is it keeps coming up is if the original consent cookie is lost, either Safari clearing it, or the user clearing it. It’s officially set for 1 year but recent versions of Safari don’t allow those cookies to stay for longer than a week.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Not sure I understand your question.

But the reason is it keeps coming up is if the original consent cookie is lost, either Safari clearing it, or the user clearing it. It’s officially set for 1 year but recent versions of Safari don’t allow those cookies to stay for longer than a week.
When it happens again I will take a screenshot to show you what I mean.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Hello arn, here is a screenshot of what I was talking about in one of my posts
Even though I have consent turned off for the cookie, when I click on the vendors tab and click on the arrow to show it's contents, I get what you see in the screenshot. Consent is turned off everywhere but yet legitimate interest is still enabled which means I have to do this manually to over 50 of your vendors.

I know you do not want members disabling stuff because you need money to keep the site going which I do not have a problem with but what I do have a problem with is your vendors tracking me and keeping hold of my data and making it difficult in the process for me to stop them doing that.

cookie.jpg

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Hi, having lived with this cookie banner model popup every time I visit here for what seems like several years (Safari private window) I was pleasantly surprised to notice that it had stopped recently. I don't know what you changed but phew thanks ! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.