Cool touristy things to do in NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by itsallinurhead, Dec 12, 2007.

1. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Suggestions for the time period December 24th-Jan 2nd.

Thank you. :D

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Go to the top of the rockafella centre, that way you can have a picture of you with the empire state building in the background.

Don't go to the Statue of Liberty, very boring.

Go into the small cafes / restaurants over the bigger ones, you get better service and a much nicer meal.

Time square at night ruins your senses, its as bright as day time...

(obviously) the apple store by central park :p

central park too tbh, under snow it'll look amazing.

The toys r us in time square has a ferris wheel inside it, dunno if its your thing but its still quite odd to see it...

Erm thats all the things i can think of for now...

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I would say go to the Statue of Liberty. It's interesting and obviously a landmark in our country. It would be even better if you could go up.

Times Square, at night and day, is a must. The busiest section in America? You have to see it. Plus you get to see some very interesting people.

5th Ave if you find the fact that the most expensive stores are all on one street.

Empire State Building if you can go up it. If not just look at it.

WTC site. I would consider this a given.

Central Park. Don't know what the weather is supposed to be like, but snow and CP just look great.

Broadway, if you like plays

Eat at a deli. There is Stage Deli, Katz's Deli, or Artie's (the three I have been to).

Wall St. I found this interesting just because I like the stock market. While there you can see Trinity Church

Eat New York Pizza. It's touristy.

Eat at a steak Restaurant. New York steakhouses are some of the best in the world. If you can afford it, do it. (Smith and Wollensky and MarkJoseph are the two I have been to)

That should give you some ideas

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Definitely hit 5th ave, the stores are decorated and gorgeous. And I would walk up to the 5th ave apple store, inside is nice enough, but just to see that cube...it's really striking visually.

Definitely wander down into the village a bit too. Check out some local bars for the hell of it...and look for some cool movie landmarks, like the "ghostbusters" firehouse.

NYC is great in that once you get acclimated to the geography and the streets you can literally just start wandering and come across lots of cool things to do.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

And Seppis. You should go to brunch at Seppis on 12/30. If you are traveling with a woman, you will be cursed while she gushes about how wonderful you are.

Trust me.

6. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

walk the brooklyn bridge. Amazing on so many levels... views, architecture/engineering and people... 'You' have a great trip... I did the exact same thing for new years 1999. Unfortunately my girlfriend at the time was extremely ill and although we were two blocks from Times square and 500,000 madmen, i was too busy nursing my beloved... cheers, vic.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go to Two Boots Pizza! It's an NYC must! www.twoboots.com And make sure you visit Grand Central and the Chrysler Building.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

My suggestions are...

1) Go up the Empire State building, the view from the top is insane, especially at night.

2) Go to Rockefeller Center and see the giant Christmas tree, and climb that building too :p

3) Madame Tussauds wax museum.

4) Go to the Statue of Liberty only if you like brutally cold weather, because let me tell you it will be cold out on the water that time of year.

Having an enjoyable stay...

1) "Please", "Thank you", and "Excuse Me" are the magic words, remember them and use them often.

2) Don't eat at Planet Hollywood in Times Square, the food is horrible and the service is even worse. And if you're using a travelers check in the gift shop be prepared for the run around.

3) Shop around a bit before you buy anything, you'll be more than likely to find the same item but for less at another shop down the street.

4) Don't wear a belt, you'll probably be going into a lot of the landmarks and you'll just have to take it off again to go through the metal detectors.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, I hope you have fun as I love NYC!

9. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Times Square,5th Ave Apple Store,Statue of Liberty,Empire State Building

10. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

So far being the only one in this thread that actually lives in NYC, I can honestly say that these guys have given some fine suggestions. In terms of pizza, look up Totonno's--one of my favorite pizza joints in the entire city. The original location is over at Coney Island in Brooklyn, but if you can't find the time to make the commute, the locations in Manhattan are just as good--and much more spacious at that.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Pretty much everything that's been said sounds great.

As far as food goes - my personal two favorite restaurants are Gino and Luxembourg Cafe.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Giant Xmas Tree at Times square is a must, Rockefeller Center, take a taxi drive down broadway, shopping on 5th ave, I would suggest the statue of liberty, you take a boat there, it its a really cool ride because you can see the city from afar and you can see one of America's greatest symbols. Ground Zero also is a must, even though the tragedy occurred 6 years ago its still pretty emotional. Just watch out for the building falling down next door... Deutsche Bank Building?

There are so many good restaurants in NYC, anything you want you can find.

Oh yea, I love Grand Central Station. It's such a beautiful piece of architecture. Madam Tousads Wax museum is pretty cool too. There are a lot of theme restaurants which are fun to eat at... you should look into those. Visit my parents old place in Greenwich Village lol.

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Stay away from theme or chain restaurants. Why would anyone go to NYC and eat at an Applebees? You can find great little restaurants anywhere you go. Also, the lunch menus at the more expensive restaurants are usually much more affordable (we had a great lunch at Spice Market for very little $).

If you are a foodie you can check out Chelsea Market. It's a pretty cool building with lots of interesting places to eat.

My favorite place in NYC has always been the Met. You can check out the museum and then walk through (or next to) central park.

14. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Something you won't find in the tourist books. The best subway station in existence. Take a Brooklyn Bridge bound 6 local train to Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall. Don't get off the train. Look out the windows on the right side of the train and behold the long hidden glory of an architectural marvel! The cathedral-like City Hall station. You can get off when the train comes back on the other side of Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall.

You'll see something like this, but without the people.

P.S. It would be strange if I ran into you... though I wouldn't know you.

15. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

This are awesome! Keep em coming.

Anyone have a good suggestion for some tasty bagels?

16. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Indeed, being from NYC, most of the suggestions here are excellent "tourist" destinations. Off the top of my mind (in no particular order):

-Empire State Building (or the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Plaza)
    -Statue of Liberty
    -Ground Zero
    -Rockefeller Center
    -Times Square
    -Fifth Avenue
    -Chinatown, Little Italy, and SoHo (Chinatown's Canal Street is a must :D )
    -Central Park
    -South Street Seaport
    -Those double-decker buses that scream "I'm a tourist!" :eek:

Want the best bagels (IMO) in NYC? H&H Midtown Bagels East. Period, end of story.
    http://www.hhmidtownbagelseast.com/

It'll also give you a chance (time permitting, of course) to venture into the Upper East Side.

As for activities, if you're the type and have the budget, Broadway Shows are always memorable and fun (I think that strike is now over?). I guarantee, you'll have a ton of fun in the city no matter what you ultimately decide to do. Have fun!

Oh, I see you're from Southern California (I'm currently studying at USC). I'm assuming this is going to be your first time to NYC, so if necessary, be prepared for a weather shock. Bring plenty of warm clothing and such (apparently last week it was really cold, but it's currently not as bad). For me, it's kind of odd wearing flip-flops in December right now...

17. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Visit every flagship store. Especially Barnes and Noble Union Square.

18. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

No, I go to NY biyearly. However, this year I am bringing my girlfriend and this is her first time. I was just seeing if there was anything that I may have missed in the tourism category to show her.

19. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Go to Brooklyn and hit up 18th avenue to get some REAL pizza. Then check out Alba's bakery for some incredible cookies.

20. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

21. 109% macrumors member

109%

I'd give another shout for MoMA and would also suggest the Frick Museum which is much more manageable and has lots of ... uh ... good ... art.

I kinda ran out of steam there.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget the Statue of Liberty - take a boat ride from the South Street Seaport. You'll sail right by the statue.

Top of Rockefeller Center over Empire State Building. Ice skating there is also very nice under the big xmas tree.

I don't recommend Ground Zero- let's face it, it's a big whole in the ground.

If you can handle it, New Year's Eve in Times Square should be experienced by everyone at least once.

Have a great trip.

23. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I just came back from New York a few days ago. A few things I'd recommend:

Walk across the Brooklyn bridge then visit the trainsit museum on the other side. You can take the 6 train and get off at city hall station.

Visit the tenament museum on the lower east side. Also just walking around the neighborhood is very interesting.

Go to Coney Island and explore a little bit.....ecspecially since it might not be there much longer. I took the F train there, but there are a few other routes.

Just explore and have fun!

24. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Question, what do you ma by the top of rockerfeller center? How do you get there? I was there tonight, but not sure if I was at the "top."