Cooler suggestions for Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Seeing as how recent Macbooks have a closed bottom and the vent is on the hinge, I'm not sure what method to go about cooling my laptop during intensive tasks. Would a cooler even help? I feel like it wouldn't since no cool air is being blown in or hot air being sucked out. But if there is one, any suggestions for one that works particularly well with a Macbook?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I hear walk in freezers make a huge difference ;)

They could make a few degrees difference, depending how they cooled. I feel mainly though they act as a temperature difference so you wouldn't feel the heat on your lap. Unless a cooler blew more air through the system, there's not a ton it could do.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A cooling stand should help. Something like this

4. SolutionsEtc macrumors newbie

Getting the bottom off the desk will help a tiny bit (I use some 3/4" tall rubber feet attached to my desk). Also, keeping it open will allow better air circulation than closed. But adding one of those fan based coolers will be of little help.

When doing things like transcoding video, cpu can approach 200°F. Nothing other than increasing the airflow over the cpu, or cooling that air is going to make much difference. You might try setting it on one or more of those freezable gel packs to cool the case, but I still don't think it will be that effective on the cpu.

Turn on the air conditioning and set it close to an outlet.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I've used a real fan during hot summer days. I also have been on the lookout for a good small desktop fan.

6. esskay macrumors 6502

I think I got one like that free after rebate a year or two ago. I use it just as a stand to get off the desk. I don't actually use the fans in it. MBP13 fits nicely on top.

7. The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

I made this small aluminum support,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which takes the MacBook Pro raised and absorbs heat from its bottom and increases the surface area through which it is dissipated. I evaluated the purchase of many cooling pads, but I think the fan itself does not make much difference. However, for the most demanding tasks, use this small but efficient fan

[​IMG]

, connected to a 12v power supply that fits perfectly in the cooling pad.

I like homemade things :D

8. red321red321 macrumors regular

Unseen, what case are you using? And have you found it impacts temperatures? I have a Moshi iGlaze hardshell and removed the bottom half because it was causing higher temps I think.

9. The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

I use a skin, not a case, made by Glauben Design. It was also for the palm rest zone and for the keyboard, but I've left it only on the back of the display due to the poor result with the keyboard zone, probably for my fault but I think it is nearly impossible to put it very well.

I agree, a case can only get worse the cooling situation. I have also buyed an USB mini fridge to take it apart and use the cooling system in a pad in place of the fan (it reaches 8 Celsius degrees), but I think it does have very little impact on the temperature , because the MacBook Pro bottom does not reduce the heat of the CPU and GPU.
    I have read of someone that made some little holes on the bottom of the MBP, and maybe it can be a partial solution but I haven't tried it.I will buy a used bottom and will try.

10. esskay macrumors 6502