Coolest on the lap, Macbook or MBP 2.4 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jul 24, 2010.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I am about to trade in my MBA since I am tired of battery life and the heat it generates.

So my choices are the new macbook (white) or the 2.4 MBP 13".

My two criterias are:
    Heat
    Battery life (should be the same now that they are both upgraded)

I want to be able to use my laptop in my lap(!) LOL without having to use a tray below it. Used t run around with one for my old first gen MBP due to heat and then realized the same for my MBA. Next laptop I want to use without a cooler underneath!

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think all Macbook (Pro)s generate a lot of heat. But I'd suggest looking into a plastic Macbook.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My 2010 MBP 13" runs cool unless I'm running flash or Handbrake.

4. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wanted to address both owners of macbook and MBP.

What about if you run Civ IV?
    What is about as intensive game as I am going to run.

Thanks

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

both laptops will get hot but the MBP will handle the heat better due to its aluminum exterior as in, metal conducts heat better than plastic. i would say if ur gaming both laptops would suffice but if don't want to risk castration by fire, i would place the laptop on a desk or something else in less proximity of your crotch. :D

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I highly recommend not gaming on your lap. Any notebook will get very hot while gaming, regardless of construction

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I have the new 13" MBP and I don't notice alot of heat when I am just using for web browsing or word processing.

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

the macbook is definately cooler than the pro. The pro just puts all the heat onto your lap. The regular macbook sends out the heat through the top mostly.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I had a 13mbp 2009 version, and now have a 2010 macbook. I can tell from personal experience that the plastic or rubber bottom of the MB is much cooler and friendlier for lap usage IMHO when using non-CPU intensive apps. If you game though (which I don't), it'll get hot. The aluminum mbp will conduct heat more since the whole thing dissipates heat top and bottom. THe macbook on the other n, I don't think dissipates much heat on the bottom as apple designed the laptop to be flat on the bottom and there are no risers to act as a way to drive cool air from the bottom (unllike the Mbp). I've also noticed that I can place the macbook on my bed and the computer doesn't start to spin the fans up unlike previous computers I've had including the mbp.

10. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

The 13" MBP stays really cool when doing normal surfing/music/office type stuff. The only time you get any heat is when pushing the machine with gaming etc.

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

12. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the answers.
    It sounds like a macbook for me due to heat and also I actually prefer the screen as well since it is glossy, not glassy.
    Only drawback I see is the lack of backlit keyboard.

13. outphase macrumors 65816

They both have glossy glass screens

14. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, they are both glossy but the macbook doesn't have the glass screen.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The Macbook and Macbook Pro won't have much differences on each. I think you should base your decision on something else. I've also read that the bottom of the Macbook (it's rubber) starts to come off from heat and then you'll have to get that fixed every now and then.

I still think the Macbook looks really nice though.

16. hobbsy macrumors newbie

maybe look at buying something like a Belkin cushtop for a tenner (?)

17. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Do you have SMC fan control installed and active?

Download from this page. I put it on my MBP a few months ago, and I don't think I've ever gotten hotter than 55 degrees c at least.

SMC fan control.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

But it also is a good thing not have something thick/heavy on your lap, like a blanket to keep warm. That'll add to the heat.