Copy and Paste: Cool but overhyped?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMule, Mar 19, 2009.

1. iMule macrumors 6502

That's my take on it. I admit it might come in handy in certain situations. It's almost like Apple got sick of hearing about it and finally was like "alright you greedy little turd smugglers here's your friggin' copy and paste!" Let me add, they did one hell of a job implementing it. We all know that Apple is known for innovation and such. So the moral of this story is that copy and paste is cool, but is it really all it was hyped up to be (to clarify, what iPhone users hyped it up to be)?

I am an iPhone owner also.

2. slapppy macrumors 65816

It's not hyped enough. Already on the net, the iPhone haters are demising it as if its just your everyday generic cut, copy and paste feature that already existed. Watch the video and its not. Lots of thought from Eng. and intelligence were put in for this feature.

3. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that the engineering and development is top notch. Like I said, it's innovative. What I meant was that some people out there were acting like they hated waking up for another day because they didn't have copy and paste. We've made it almost 2 years without it. I'm referring to the users, not Apple.

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont think so. I really have no use for it. I might use it here and there but if i never had it, i wouldnt miss it.

5. CarlyLyon macrumors member

if your in the business wirld it would make more sense... .being able to copy and paste emails into text messages or vice versa would serve an amazing purpose especially with thi keyboard a simple copy and paste would do wonders... if you have a jailbroken phone this is possible... im sure it will be out in the next generation phone

6. slapppy macrumors 65816

I was one of those. I was at the end of my rope without that feature. I can recall how pissed I get when I get a SMS or a tracking # or an address to meet, among other things. Sure it makes you use your brain to memorize all sorts of stuff, I guess that was a good thing. :p

7. pnd4pnd macrumors member

i would much rather have an easy way to switch email accounts rather than cut and paste. how they missed this one is beyond me. how there isnt a huge uproar over this is beyond me... am i off base here?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its hardly "overhyped"

i have no idea what you are thinking op...

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

It is so overhyped. Most people are not going to use this function much if at all. Others will use it but not that regularly. It's great that we'll have it but I think other changes coming in 3.0 will have a greater impact on more people over time.

I think the Search/Spotlight function is underhyped though and that's what most people are going to use like crazy.

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

How often do you use copy/paste on your computers? That might be some indication of whether you see the need for it. I use copy/paste 100 times a day on my computer when using it heavily.

I have been quite frustrated many times by not being able to copy/paste on the iPhone. Don't you ever need to copy partial text from an email to send to someone else? Delete large portions of an email? Copy some text from a web page to put in an email, text message, or note? Copy that darn code from the text messages that we get when someone sends us an email and paste it into the web page field? Tried to write a long message or blog without wanting to change the order of what you've typed (by copy and pasting into a different part of the text? Copy a web link into a twitter update?

If you've never needed to do that stuff, I can certainly see why you don't need cut/paste. :rolleyes: :)

11. randomusername macrumors 6502

I think it's very important and not overhyped. Think about how much you use copy/paste on your computer. Now think how important it is on a phone where you can't just look back at a different window and type it over or drag and drop the text. I think Copy/Paste will be used by many who IM, text, or email a lot on there phone, which is a large amount of people.

12. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Just because you don't find it necessary doesn't mean its overhyped. You may not have uses for it but for other people it comes in handy.

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Coming in handy is different from overhyped.

Is copy-and-paste a welcome change? Absolutely.

Is it overhyped? Absolutely.

14. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Back off, I got a license!

15. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

it's beyond over hyped. I mean seriously, people just need a reason to complain. It's like one person said "hey no copy and paste?!" and everyone was like..."uuhhh yeah....WTF!"

either way won't help sales.

16. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

Very true Dammit. Don't tell anyone there's a built in liquid sensor support because some dev would develop a pregnancy test app and there would be at least a couple of people who would actually pee on their iPhones.

17. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

So do I.

But I cant count how many times on one hand I will use this a MONTH on my iPhone.

But still, the phone should have it.

I think more than us wanting, iPhone haters loved laughing cuz the iPhone couldn't do it.

If nothing else, it will shut the haters up.

As far as using it on the iPhone..

I could see me using it to possibly send a link to friends. That would be useful.

18. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Without copy and paste how the hell would you transfer a piece of text from one place to another without writing it down and typing it all over again, tell me.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

But what are you copying is the question.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Cut, copy and paste (why does cut never get any love?) has really been overwhined on here as if you can't use an iPhone without it. I mean really overwhined. Some people act as if the iPhones came without a backlight or a power button, but no, just CC&P. The times I have needed to use it in the 11 months since I got my phone have been...zero.

But Apple's development of it seems to be very very good. I don't think people understand that you literally can't just wave a magic wand and put such a command across every app into an OS. Remember the whining about all the bugs in 2.0? Some of the same whiners would've probably chastised Apple if CC&P had similar bugs in a rushed manner. But from the demo, I'd say Apple did it well and has it pretty much completed.

I think some iPhone users really need to consider getting MacBooks and carrying them around. Some want 50 cameras with 1080p resolution on the screen (and the camera) with DTS output and 5.1 speakers, all in a tiny phone. Oh yeah, they want it thinner as well. S#%8, people. It's a phone.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

lol - Thanks for explaining :D

The thing is, I'll use copy-paste once a week on my iPhone.

I'll use Spotlight a dozen times a day.

So while I'm glad we're getting copy and paste, it's really not THAT big of a deal.

22. MAG. macrumors member

The reason I think it's overhyped is because it should have been on the 1.0 firmware version of the iPhone. Give me one smart phone that doesn't copy and paste other than the iPhone. Nothing.

About the feature itself, it's cool, but I am not sure if I am going to use it since I got used to the fact that I don't have it. Maybe things will change once having it.

23. aok1975 macrumors 6502

addresses
    notes
    articles from websites
    part of an email
    part of a text message
    etc
    etc
    etc

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Oh yeah, I didn't realize that since you don't need it no one else needs it. Silly me... :rolleyes:

25. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for not including "cut." That was unprofessional of me. Besides, cut will be the least used out of all three. Unless you're doing some serious editing on notepad or mail cut doesn't have much to do with it... however maybe we'll be able to edit Office/iWork documents in the future.