Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomMacBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
I just upgraded my HD on my new MBP13.

I upgraded it from 250GB to a 500GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black. However the noise was definitely noticeable for me and I have changed it back to the 250 5400RPM GB Seagate Momentus. Sucks to have lost the money :(

Now the thing is I need 500 GB and I want it to be a internal hard disk. I was thinking about buying 500 GB 5400RPM Scorpio Blue or a Seagate 5400RPM Momentus. Not decided yet(any recommendation?).
The problem is though I want to begin using my system. I want to install programs etc. Is there an easy way to copy the whole system to the new hard drive when it arrives?

I have another (windows) pc with an external NFTS disk if that is any help.

RandomMacBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Yep, download and run SuperDuper! Hurrah!

Cool!

So to get it straight you:

1. Backup to a external harddrive using SuperDuper
2. You switch the harddisk in your MBP
3. You install OSX and SuperDuper
4. With SuperDuper you restore all files from your external hard drive

Is it right?

Oh and is all this available in the trial?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
So to get it straight you:

Buy a new drive for the Mac, put it in a new enclosure as my learned colleague, Robbie, says. Install SuperDuper onto existing drive, then clone the existing install, system and all to the new drive in the enclosure. Test to see whether it starts up and everything is how it should be, then remove drive from enclosure and put in Mac. Use enclosure for backup drive.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Oh and is all this available in the trial?

Yes the trial/free version works fine for a one-off clone.

It's only worth paying for if you use it for backups where the paid-for version can copy only changed files instead of deleting/re-cloning everything making the paid-for version is much faster in this usage case.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
First of all, Carbon Copy Cloner is free and does the same thing as SuperDuper. SuperDuper is never worth paying for because Carbon Copy Cloner does the same thing for free.

To avoid buying an external enclosure, if you already have an external harddrive with enough free space, you can just shrink the existing partition on the external drive and create a new partition. Using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, clone your internal drive to the new partition on the external.

Take the drive out and put the new one in your MBP.

Boot from that new partition on your external harddrive, and use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that partition to the new drive you just installed.

RandomMacBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks!

Luckily I have something like this: http://www.sandberg.dk/product.aspx?id=133-43

That lets me connect to a hard drive. So I guess I can just use that to copy all things over to my new hard drive?

The only thing that confuses me, is that SuperDuper warns me that it is not going to save apple specific system files and that I can only choose "Backup - all files" when what I want is a system image and not only data.

Does backup also mean copying OSX?

RandomMacBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Sorry, one more thing. If I install win7 via bootcamp will that also be transfered or can I only choose one partition?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just upgraded my HD on my new MBP13.

I upgraded it from 250GB to a 500GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black. However the noise was definitely noticeable for me and I have changed it back to the 250 5400RPM GB Seagate Momentus. Sucks to have lost the money :(

Now the thing is I need 500 GB and I want it to be a internal hard disk. I was thinking about buying 500 GB 5400RPM Scorpio Blue or a Seagate 5400RPM Momentus. Not decided yet(any recommendation?).
The problem is though I want to begin using my system. I want to install programs etc. Is there an easy way to copy the whole system to the new hard drive when it arrives?

Step 1: Buy an external 2.5" drive, avoid fancy looking drives that you cannot open. Attach to the Mac.
Step 2: Boot from your MacOS X DVD. Use Disk Utility to copy from internal to external drive.
Step 3: Boot from the external drive to check that it all works.
Step 4: Take a screwdriver and swap the drive in the external case with the internal drive.

Alternative: Buy _any_ external drive. Use Time Machine to backup your internal drive. Buy a new drive, put it into the Mac. Boot from installer DVD which will offer to restore from the Time Machine backup.

Zoombini

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Winclone works pretty well.

It appears that Winclone has been discontinued and can no longer be downloaded. I need to do the same thing as the OP.

What to do?

Miscellaneous additional information and questions:

I might just trash XP and install Windows 7, and I'm willing to consider a change from Boot Camp to Parallels or some other sort of method for running Windows 7 on an Intel Mac. I'm not sure if I will still need WinClone or something like it.

I'm going to be getting a much bigger internal hard drive for my 17 inch macBook, so I'll want to increase the sizes of both the Macintosh and Windows partition.

If I upgrade to a 7200 RPM internal hard drive for aforementioned laptop, is it going to have a bad effect on battery performance?

Thanks in Advance,

Z

dslade09

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone like disk utility on the OS X install disk? I personally use Disk Utility for any of my clones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.