Copycat Android Phone From Gionee Includes 3D Touch Quick Actions, Peek and Pop

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Gionee debuted its Gionee Elife S8 at Mobile World Congress this week, and the new device mimics the iPhone in both look and functionality. Available in silver, gold, and rose gold shades, the Elife S8's exterior design more closely resembles an Android device than an iPhone, but it does have a similar rear camera, a 5.5-inch screen, a body that's 7mm thick, a fingerprint sensor, and an aluminum body.

[​IMG]
    Image via GSM Arena

Most notably, it includes a pressure-sensitive display with built-in software features that look a lot like 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s. As described by BGR, the Elife S8 steals both Peek and Pop and Quick Actions from Apple. Pressing on an icon on the Home screen brings up a list of shortcuts, as seen in the image below. For example, a press on the camera app includes Quick Actions to take a snapshot, video, or selfie.

[​IMG]
    Image via BGR

There are also Peek and Pop gestures for previewing content, and a press on the left edge of the screen brings up a list of "Edge" apps. This differs from Apple's multitasking functionality, but it's the same general idea. Several hands-on reviews of the Elife S8 have noted the "too close for comfort" similarities between 3D Touch and Gionee's pressure-sensitive display.

[​IMG]
    Image via BGR

The Gionee Elife S8's other features include an octa-core Mediatek MT6755 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage with a micro SD card slot, a 16-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera. It's priced at ~$500 and will be available to consumers in two months.

Gionee is not the first Android phone to include 3D Touch-like features. The Huawei Mate S has a pressure-sensitive display and launched ahead of the iPhone, but it does not attempt to copy the look of iOS or its specific implementation of 3D Touch. A pressure-sensitive display was also one of the features rumored for the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 Edge, but the two phones launched earlier this week without the feature.

Article Link: Copycat Android Phone From Gionee Includes 3D Touch Quick Actions, Peek and Pop

2. b0nd18t, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

3. bteters macrumors newbie

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

So Android users can now not use this feature as well...Other than hardcore power-users, I have rarely seen anyone use 3D Touch on purpose. I taught my girlfriend how to use it when she got her 6S months ago and it's never been used again.

5. Adithya007 macrumors regular

I bet Samsung is gonna sue Gionee for this....

6. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Only Samsung execs would think this isn't a copy.

7. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

And yet, Samsung, the chief copycat, chose not to offer 3D Touch or anything like it in their latest phone.

That, to my mind, speaks volumes as to the worth of the feature.

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Doesn't look at all like an iPhone, has is really got that bad that you need to use clickbait titles to drive more people to the site?

9. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I don't see the problem. Clearly there's no other possible way to design a phone's software. Apple needs to lighten up.

10. Aluminum213, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Tech companies steal ideas from each other, news at 11

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

They're not talking about the aesthetic look of the hardware, they're talking about the 3D Touch rip-off.

This isn't about the phone's exterior it's about 3D touch.

12. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Looks like an iPhone 6S had a kid with a Galaxy S6.

13. Borin macrumors regular

Borin

After getting used to it when I first got my 6S+, I use it all the time; reading emails, checking links, and pretty much every other 'thing' it was advertised as doing. I know a fair number of people don't use it, but a quick look around some of the threads on this forum reveals plenty that do.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

You mean they're copying Samsung and adding pieces of Apple with it? Looks nothing like an iPhone other than the obvious color scheme copies and of course the 3D touch "look alike".

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Had the iPhone 6S not been released, I find it very hard to believe that this phone would look and behave as it currently does.

If it's a stretch calling it a copy, then let's agree on "fundamentally inspired by" :)

16. Chatter macrumors 6502a

This is a bigger problem for Xiaomi - chief copycat of every smartphone out there.

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

So ... Samsung?

18. InfoTime macrumors 6502

I don't use it. Most of the time it gets in the way of the way I used to do things. I'll admit I've never really sat down and given it a fair shake. Maybe I should give it a try.

19. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

20. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Say what you want, I use it all the time. Peek and pop are really useful.

21. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You should give it a fair press, instead of a shake.

22. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

23. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Is there anybody using 3D touch functions? No, I don't.

24. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Reminds me more of a Samsung then an iPhone, with the elongated oval home button and colorless holes by the ear speaker.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Everyone copies. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?