Copying A Music CD

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
I have osx tiger - how on earth do i copy a music CD to a blank? am i being dumb? i can't see anywhere how to do it. i donloaded simplyBurns, but the option is greyed out, and disk utility can't seem to help me. I dont have toast, but surely it should be easier than that?

atm im importing to itunes, then burning. VERY long winded.
 

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
1,351
0
I'm only really here at night.
Mr. DG said:
I have osx tiger - how on earth do i copy a music CD to a blank? am i being dumb? i can't see anywhere how to do it. i donloaded simplyBurns, but the option is greyed out, and disk utility can't seem to help me. I dont have toast, but surely it should be easier than that?

atm im importing to itunes, then burning. VERY long winded.

Insert CD to be copied
File >> New burn folder, it appears on desktop
drag songs from CD to burn folder
eject CD
File >> Burn disc, or right click >> burn disc
system will ask you to insert a blank disc
insert blank disc, wait for prompt and give the disc a name and/or specify burn speed
wait for burn to complete
remove new cd
enjoy :)

only import into iTunes if you want to:

a) store the music in your library
b) mix, rip, burn a custom disk that contains a variety of music from other discs, or arrange the songs in an order that is different that what is on the original cd
c) create mp3's or convert to other formats
etc etc

ps...data discs can be created the same way, for backing up precious info/files.....use CD-RWs if you want to update w/o using a back-up app.....
 

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
thanks - i thought that may have left me with a data cd rather than music.

also, does it copy 'as is'? ie if there are no gaps between tracks (live albums or dj mixes), does it preserve that?
 

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
2,453
3
AFAIK, there are no built in way to copy music CD's on a Mac OSX unless you get third party software. When I tried disk utility (or SmurfBoxMasta's method) to copy music CD's, my CD player could not play it, although I could play it on a computer.
 

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
1,351
0
I'm only really here at night.
theBB said:
AFAIK, there are no built in way to copy music CD's on a Mac OSX unless you get third party software. When I tried disk utility (or SmurfBoxMasta's method) to copy music CD's, my CD player could not play it, although I could play it on a computer.

iTunes DOES make cd's playable on regular cd players (I have done it many times), as long as the player is less than 5-6 yrs old. Alot of older players did not conform to the "RedBook" industry standards, and thus have problems w/ cd's burnt with modern burners & software.....

time consuming, yes....
but it does work :D
 

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
11,824
7
You can set iTunes importing preferences to use the AIFF encoder, keeping the songs in their original format, then rip and burn from within iTunes in the usual way.
 

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
879
0
Mr. DG said:
I have osx tiger - how on earth do i copy a music CD to a blank? am i being dumb?
I just stumbled upon this program called "SimplyBurns" on OpenSourceMac.org.

It copys your CD/DVD to a disk image on the compputer then ejects the CD. You insert a blank CD and clikc burn. THe disk image is then burnt onto the CD. When it is done, you have thee option to make more copies.

Give it a try!
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
168
Bergen, Norway
theBB said:
AFAIK, there are no built in way to copy music CD's on a Mac OSX unless you get third party software. When I tried disk utility (or SmurfBoxMasta's method) to copy music CD's, my CD player could not play it, although I could play it on a computer.
Yes, there is... actually two ways:

1) Use iTunes and rip in aiff (or wav) and burn the ripped track out on an audio CD, as dynamicv said.

2) Use Disk Utility to make a disk image from the CD and then burn as many copies as you please from that image.

Of course, Toast, although pricey, does the job in one click... ;)
 

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
it seems like this hould be an option in osx, when you put the CD in. itunes is ok, and copying in the finder is ok, but neither of these make an exact carbon copy - preserving track gaps, which is important to me as i'd like to copy my mix cds.

i've got simply burns but nowhere can i see how to make a disk image - only how to burn one. am i missing something?

this is really annoying. though it isnt built into windows, pretty much all pcs come bundled with software that lets you do this without thinking. i would like to recommend a mac to my boss too, but its not easy when a task like this is complicated / requires extra software.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
168
Bergen, Norway
In Disk Utility, use the option File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder, and choose the CD (my New -> Disk Image from Device is greyed out for some reason). That should make an exact copy of the CD, gaps and all, which you can burn back to CD as many times you want (I'm actually testing this at the moment :) Edit: Well it made an image, as expected, but unfortunately I cannot burn it back to finish the test since the CD I made an image of was actually 740 MB and all I have is 700 MB CD-Rs... :eek:).
 

Attachments

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
i did the same. it works, but seems a complex solution to an easy task. very un-apple.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
168
Bergen, Norway
Mr. DG said:
i did the same. it works, but seems a complex solution to an easy task. very un-apple.
Now, that I can agree to... ;)

I will, again, strongly recommend Toast 7 Titanium, though. That's one application well worth the money. It was possible to get for around $39, with some rebates earlier this summer... search around a bit. Toast is the de facto standard for burning on the Mac platform. :)
 

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
actually, using disk utility does NOT work. It makes a .dmg file which when you burn is data and not music. What is needed is an .ISO file.

Might have to fork out for toast.:( People coming over from Windows (as I did a few months ago) will scratch their heads over this for a while. I know I did and i'm pretty computer-savvy.
 

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
OK - sorry for the multiple posts. I was using an older version of simplyBurns, with no 1:1 copy option. I downloaded version 1.80 and it has this function. This is the best app for the job, definitely. :)

cheers athomeboy
 

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
2,475
69
Utopia
Mr. DG said:
actually, using disk utility does NOT work. It makes a .dmg file which when you burn is data and not music. What is needed is an .ISO file.

Might have to fork out for toast.:( People coming over from Windows (as I did a few months ago) will scratch their heads over this for a while. I know I did and i'm pretty computer-savvy.
How do you copy an audio CD in Windows without third party software, or by using the iTunes/WMP method?
 

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
2,453
3
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yes, there is... actually two ways:

1) Use iTunes and rip in aiff (or wav) and burn the ripped track out on an audio CD, as dynamicv said.

2) Use Disk Utility to make a disk image from the CD and then burn as many copies as you please from that image.
1) Yes, this copies your songs in a lossless fashion, but not the album. What is the difference you say? Well, put the burned CD into another computer. iTunes or WMP cannot recognize the album and give you the album info, artist name etc.

2) My experiment resulted in a data CD, which cannot be played on an old fashioned stand alone CD player.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Burcin
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
168
Bergen, Norway
theBB said:
[...]
Please let me know if I am missing anything.
No, I don't think so... the iTunes option was never for making a "carbon copy" but will still work for making an audio CD and it seems that you're quite right about Disk Utility, too... it used to work, but I suspected something fishy when I saw that the "New Image from Source" was greyed out (as I said above), and Mr. DG and yourself has confirmed my fears... :(

So, if you don't want to buy Toast or try the above mentioned simplyBurns, then you can always look into using Terminal and the dd command (which might count as a third way to copy a CD)... ;)
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,368
974
New England
Frisco said:
How do you copy an audio CD in Windows without third party software, or by using the iTunes/WMP method?
You can't, at least in XP.

Mr. DG said:
What is needed is an .ISO file.
Actually, no. Strictly speacking you can't use an ISO to store Audio or mixed mode CDs. This is, in part, why Apple has the DMG format and there are other proprietary formats (CIF, NRG, DDA, BIN/CUE, MDS/MDF) for CD images that do support audio, multiple tracks, mixed mode, etc...

B
 

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
101
0
Frisco said:
How do you copy an audio CD in Windows without third party software, or by using the iTunes/WMP method?
Well, generally speaking, windows xp doesn't have this built in. But i've never come across an XP machine that hasn't had some kind of solution preinstalled.

I've bought a few XP machines on behalf of my work from different companies (Dell, HP, Samsung) and they always come with software (granted, 3rd party) alllowing you to copy CDs as soon as you pop the CD in to the machine (eg Nero, Sonic RecordNow).

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing where Apple should be scoring points over Windows, IMHO - everyday tasks done without any fuss.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Mr. DG said:
Well, generally speaking, windows xp doesn't have this built in. But i've never come across an XP machine that hasn't had some kind of solution preinstalled.

I've bought a few XP machines on behalf of my work from different companies (Dell, HP, Samsung) and they always come with software (granted, 3rd party) alllowing you to copy CDs as soon as you pop the CD in to the machine (eg Nero, Sonic RecordNow).

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing where Apple should be scoring points over Windows, IMHO - everyday tasks done without any fuss.
There is absolutely no reason for Apple to support the ability to pirate music since they're trying to sell it to sell iPods.
 

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
2,453
3
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
So, if you don't want to buy Toast or try the above mentioned simplyBurns
I don't mind downloading a third party program. After all, Windows require third party support as well, although we gotta hold Apple to a higher standard. :) Anyways, I don't want to let Toast to earn any money out of me, because on Windows Toast always came bundled with my computer purchases, but it was always a nightmare to use. Full of bugs... One long bout with it last year when I bought an external DVD writer pushed me over the edge to switching to Mac. Even if everybody is swearing by the reliability of Toast on the Mac side, I am not willing to forgive and forget just yet.
 

AdHoc

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
1
0
South Shields, England
Burning a cd from iTunes

In i-tunes create a playlist.

Click its icon in the lefthandside of Source List,

(the album/selected tracks now appear listed)

(drag songs/tracks up or down in the list for preferred playback order)

Click the burn icon (top righthand side)

Insert a blank cd into your Mac

Click Burn again.


Baffled of South Shields - what could be easier??:)

Reference from Mac OSX, Tiger Edition, David Pogue

Though would fully recommend Toast 7 for burning DVD's as well as CD's


AdHoc


Just realised this is the same solution as given by smurfbox.

Though still baffled how it could be burned any easier? This method preserves the gap between tracks, which is ideal in creating a mixed cd.
 

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
5,034
893
Canada
Mr. DG said:
This is really annoying. Though it isn't built into Windows, pretty much all PCs come bundled with software that lets you do this without thinking. I would like to recommend a Mac to my boss too, but it's not easy when a task like this is complicated / requires extra software.
So what you're saying is, there's "extra software" bundled with some PCs and that somehow installing that "extra software" on a Mac is bothersome enough that you won't consider Macs as an alternative?

You also have to consider that maybe Apple are not allowed to include such software/function because of contracts with the music labels, etc. :confused:
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,368
974
New England
theBB said:
Even if everybody is swearing by the reliability of Toast on the Mac side, I am not willing to forgive and forget just yet.
Should also take this time to point out that Adaptec/Roxio/Sonic for the Mac and PC were handled completely separately so don't judge one by the other.

B
 

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
2,453
3
AdHoc said:
Though still baffled how it could be burned any easier? This method preserves the gap between tracks, which is ideal in creating a mixed cd.
Please read the whole thread before you start ranting.

The shortcoming of your method is pointed out in post #16, item #1.