Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
One reason I'll never buy to support my sales staff. Without a local drive my sales people wont even want to deal with the headache.

Listen to us Apple and they will come

Precisely and it's much easier to say plug it into a computer and be able to drag a file off of it then to e-mail it.

"Hey, need the file?" "Yes I do" "Well here, plug my iPad into your computer and we'll just transfer it from there" "Okay cool" "Wait, do you have iTunes installed?" "No....why would I install iTunes just to drag a file off of it?" "Cause.....well I don't know, Apple likes to blow donkeys apparently and make life more difficult then it needs to be"

People may even buy this device assuming it'll be as easy as just dragging it off the device but nope. And even if you do have iTunes installed, you more then likely still can't take it off cause it'll be a new iPad plugged into a different iTunes profile.

Just a lot of simple things dating back to the way the iPhone works at times could simplified by a million.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It seems like it would have been much simpler if Apple had just made a simple Disk Mode where you can store all your various files and then certain applications could detect them and open them.

Is it really that hard Apple?

I would buy an iPod tomorrow if it had this ability, but it doesn't. Well, maybe Cydia will offer such a way. :(

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That's an iphone you're trying to sync in that screenshot.

This only works for iPad's....

Thanks, now if I only had my iPad. Went ahead and bought GoodReader for iPad since it may go up in price before whenever the 3G comes out.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Andy,

They've released the iPad version, it's iPad optimized, not a scaled version. Papers for iPad

I just wish my 3G would get here so I can try it out as I've used the desktop version for years.

JT
Thanks very much JCT :)! I clearly haven't been paying enough attention. This justifies the ipad purchase for me right here.

edit: and they've made the update universal so I don't hvae to pay any more $. Happy :).

ChaosFreak

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
This is what you get for $700

One reason I'll never buy to support my sales staff. Without a local drive my sales people wont even want to deal with the headache.

Listen to us Apple and they will come

So, let me get this straight. I pay $700 for this amazing device that can't even store PDFs, images and other documents from the web. And I need to buy tons of additional apps just to get basic functionality I'd get in Android like copying files directly to the device for offline use? Remind me again what's so awesome about the iPad?

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
So, let me get this straight. I pay $700 for this amazing device that can't even store PDFs, images and other documents from the web. And I need to buy tons of additional apps just to get basic functionality I'd get in Android like copying files directly to the device for offline use? Remind me again what's so awesome about the iPad?

This is a year old thread. Apple added PDF support to iBooks long ago.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Is there a way to download and save PDF's found on the web to your iPad? I don't really care how they're displayed I just need them for offline access.

Use Atomic as your browser instead of Safari - it lets you download files, then open them in whatever app can handle that filetype. I will say, though, that while I've had no problem d/ling PDFs, I have had some problems downloading bigger files like .avi TV shows - if I leave Atomic while it's d/ling it stops rather than continuing in the background and I have a hell of a time getting it started again. But for PDFs it works great.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Just get Good Reader. They in Safari you'll be given the choice to open the document in Good Reader when it's downloaded and that will save it within Good Reader.

Use Atomic as your browser instead of Safari - it lets you download files, then open them in whatever app can handle that filetype. I will say, though, that while I've had no problem d/ling PDFs, I have had some problems downloading bigger files like .avi TV shows - if I leave Atomic while it's d/ling it stops rather than continuing in the background and I have a hell of a time getting it started again. But for PDFs it works great.

paplaner

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Putting PDFs on the ipad2

First, get the app PDF READER PRO ($0.99). Then send a PDF file to your email as an attachment. Go to your MAIL and click on the attached PDF file. When it opens, go to the SHARE button, on the upper right part of your screen...a rectangle with an arrow going to the right....Press on this symbol,and choose OPEN IN IBOOKS....then go to your BOOKS app on your iPad....click on IBOOKS.....click on COLLECTIONS.....click on PDFs.....and there it is!!!

Last edited:

jsan1

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
NYC
Use good reader to use iTunes and sync it directly through the computer. Or, to make it even easier, I usually add the PDF's to my dropbox folder on the Mac, open dropbox and find the PDF, hit the right corner and select read in good reader. No cables and its literally almost instantaneous. :)

DonnaMarilyn

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Transfer PDF file from Dropbox to GoodReader on iPad?

Using Dropbox, I've transferred a couple of PDF files to my iPad.

However, I now have GoodReader, and would like to keep all of my PDF files there (or in iBooks).

Is there a way to transfer files from Dropbox (on the iPad) into GoodReader?

I've read in this thread that it's possible to drag 'n drop files directly from a Mac to GoodReader, but it's not clear to me how this is done.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise me. Thank you.

Donna

LobaltSS

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
I would check out Documents also by Readdle. It's a free universal app and has native support for opening/editing tons of file types. Plus you can connect your Dropbox, box, icloud accounts to it and access all your files within the app.

Or, what I do, is drop the PDF file in Dropbox and then open the Dropbox app on my iPad and open the PDF in iBooks using the "open in" action

GoodReader has drag and drop, like the new Documents, and it would be the Server option in the app. Or named something like that. It will show you a web address (like 192.168.1.1:80) to go to on your desktop browser where you can upload the files through the web browser.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I use Dropbox. All of my computer files (except for music) are stored there, so when i use Dropbox on my iPad it is as if I were using my computer.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Using Dropbox, I've transferred a couple of PDF files to my iPad.

However, I now have GoodReader, and would like to keep all of my PDF files there (or in iBooks).

Is there a way to transfer files from Dropbox (on the iPad) into GoodReader?

I've read in this thread that it's possible to drag 'n drop files directly from a Mac to GoodReader, but it's not clear to me how this is done.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise me. Thank you.

Donna

Goodreader and Dropbox work great together. In fact Goodreader works with Box Sync and Google Drive as well. When in Goodreader look on the right side for "connect to servers" then touch "add". This will get Dropbox to show u in Goodreader.

Donna, I also keep my PDFs in Goodreader but I also have them attached to the cloud as mentioned below in case I lose my iPad, forget it, etc.

Why would one want this? Because then you can download documents you want to annotate and they will be uploaded back to Dropbox for a sync. This is one reason at least.

DonnaMarilyn

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll go through them carefully to see whether I can resolve the issue. :)

Seems to me though that when I open the pdf file in Dropbox, I don't get an 'open in' option, which would enable me to open the document in GoodReader.

By the same token, how do I get GR to access Dropbox?

UPDATE: Aha! I think I'm getting it to work. :)

Donna

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Seems to me though that when I open the pdf file in Dropbox, I don't get an 'open in' option, which would enable me to open the document in GoodReader.

By the same token, how do I get GR to access Dropbox?

Am I missing something?

Donna

In Dropbox app, open PDF file, then look in the top right corner. There should be an icon with a downward arrow. Tap that icon, and you should see an "open in..." option.

To add Dropbox to GoodReader, tap "connect to severs" then tap "add" then tap "Dropbox" and enter a name for your Dropbox. Once it's created, tap on your Dropbox icon, and you get a form where you enter your login info.

DonnaMarilyn

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Thank you, Night Spring. :) I've got that first bit working.

I have a further (and embarrassing) question. How do I get out of the pdf file? By that I mean that I want to open the GR app, but each time I do so, the pdf file opens up, even after I've turned the iPad off then on again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you, Night Spring. :) I've got that first bit working.

I have a further (and embarrassing) question. How do I get out of the pdf file? By that I mean that I want to open the GR app, but each time I do so, the pdf file opens up, even after I've turned the iPad off then on again.

There should be an "x" in the file tab to close it. If it's not visible, tap once somewhere on the file and the controls, including the "x" to close, should come up.

DonnaMarilyn

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Ah yes! That did the job. Thank you. :)

It's a matter of having a 'light' touch, I guess. I'd tapped all over the page earlier, but only succeeded in either making the page larger or in arriving at a new one.

Donna

Last edited:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I use Dropbox. All of my computer files (except for music) are stored there, so when i use Dropbox on my iPad it is as if I were using my computer.

Yup, this is what I do too. And I also mark certain files, including PDFs, as favorites in the Dropbox app. That copies the file to the iPad so that it is accessible even when not connected to the Internet. Works like a charm.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
I just use Adobe Reader to view PDF files, and I copy files over using the iFunBox file manager on the PC. To download them from the web I open them in Safari and then hit "Open in Adobe Reader". Works for me.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
It's a matter of having a 'light' touch, I guess. I'd tapped all over the page earlier, but only succeeded in either making the page larger or in arriving at a new one.

It's not just a matter of a "light touch". For reasons I can't remember (or never knew), they defined a sweet spot in the middle of the screen for toggling the menu on and off when you're viewing a document.

Sounds like you have the dropbox working -- no need to feel embarrassed for asking, as it's not exactly straightforward. Remember, for every such question asked in a forum there's probably a hundred silent, thankful readers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.