"Copying" music you own is "stealing"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by angelneo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. angelneo macrumors 68000

linkety

Oh good, now that Sony BMG's chief has came outright to say that "Making 'a copy' of a purchased song is just a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy' "

:eek:

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Just because some stupid lawyer says it doesn't make it true. As long as record companies continue to treat their customers like criminals they will continue to lose money.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Oh dear, well in that case I'm seriously guilty of copyright theft having ripped many a CD from my collection into iTunes. I look forward to Sony BMG sending the Police around.

That's if the Police aren't too busy knocking on everybody else's door....

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Sony BMG lost the plot with their illegal copy protection shenanigans a few years back.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Studio execs might as well spend their time defining the legalities of theft, since in my mind they lost the ethical high ground long ago.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree with the other posters, this is really lame and just makes everyone a pirate together, which means you might as well bittorrent the album/song :rolleyes:.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

riiiiiight.

isn't copying music you've purchased protected under fair use?

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm not a pirate.... <hopes no one looks at avatar>

9. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Geez, is Sony BMG now going to go after Apple and Microsoft (hell why not themselves) because they are aiding and abetting by marketing a product which promotes piracy by encouraging to move your music to an MP3 player. Sounds like someone there forgot their meds.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

She is employed by Sony. She receives a salary (money) for doing her work.

Surely if she comes out with such nonsense then she isn't doing her job properly, and since she receives money while not doing her job properly, that is stealing from Sony?

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

So making a copy is illegal. Even with downloaded music.

So defraging your hard disk could be illegal because it copies music from one location to another on your hard disk.
    If a hard disk is dying, copying from the old dying one to a new one is illegal.
    So perhaps caching could be construed as illegal.
    So perhaps Sony CD walkmans that have skip prevention could be illegal.

Absurd!

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No, "fair use" is something completely different. It covers situations where you had no permission by law or by the copyright holder to copy, but you have a valid excuse. Like copying two lines into a report analysing a book.

This is something completely different. For example, when you buy Leopard, you are allowed by law to make a copy to install it on your harddisk (you have to make that copy to use Leopard as intended, so you are allowed to do it), and you are allowed to make a backup copy. It has nothing to do with "fair use", you are just allowed to do it. Now if you had a problem with some part of Leopard, and you posted a screenshot here to get help (once it is released and not under NDA obviously), and that screenshot contains things copyrighted by Apple, _that_ would be covered by fair use.

The main reason why what she claims is nonsense from a practical point of view: _All_ CDs that I buy get copied immediately onto my Mac, and then the CD is stored away somewhere in a big box in the loft. I never look at it again. If I wasn't allowed to do that, then the value of the CD for me would be zero. Likewise, the value of a CD with DRM that my MacBook can't read is zero to me.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It would be UMG sending The Police around, if they aren't touring or something. :p

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Doesn't the stupid woman realise that her own company supply software to convert CDs to MP3 with their Walkman MP3 players :confused:

15. bartelby macrumors Core

She knows and she knows she's calling her customers thieves.

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I think what we need at this point are clear, concise laws of what one can and can't do with the media one purchases (CD's, DVD's, downloads, etc.) so media lawyers don't go around making up laws themselves.

17. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

The record companies have been all over the map on the ripping-a-CD-you-own question. In the Grokster argument, their lawyer admitted:

(See the top of page 12 in the link)

More recently, they have tried to back off that, arguing that the act of ripping (copying) is an unauthorized copy, but that the record companies will authorize the copy so long as it is reasonable to do so (whatever that means).

I'm pretty confident that a record label would lose if they brought suit against someone who merely purchased a CD lawfully and ripped it using iTunes and copied it to their iPod.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's about time that the record companies realised that it's not they who make the laws or interpret them.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not to mention it's about time the record companies embrace the digital age and figure out how to profit from it rather than trying to kill it.

20. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

That's just about the most concise summing-up that I've read.

I know next to nothing about business, yet even I'm aware that the genie is well and truly out of the bottle. The record companies huff and puff, and keep on making bizarre PR gaffes like trying to prosecute their own customers (and the ones who, by definition, love music the most)... when they really should be seeing the potential of digital and downloading.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

22. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Isn't the point that these aren't customers?

Not paying customers, anyway...

Are you a customer of Time-Warner if you steal your neighbor's cable?

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Is Sony going to eat itself from the inside?

24. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Then... Steve Jobs forms a partnership with Disney/Pixar to buy the former Sony for $1.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Got it in one. This attorney is espousing a theory of fair use which is not only contrary to existing law, the industry would probably be the big losers in the long run if such a scheme ever turned out to be enforceable.