Core i3/5/7 update for 13 inch.. when ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illumintai, Oct 7, 2010.

1. illumintai macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the 13 inch macbook pro but the buyers guide suggests to buy only if necessary as the product cycle is coming to the end.

the update i am looking for is obviously the CPU..

I also read the udpate usually occurs in oct or nov..

should i wait a bit more ?

thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Right now, I would only buy if you really need it now - otherwise give it a month or two.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You will have to wait until Q1/2011 at least to get a 13" MBP with i3 or i5.
    That is when Intel releases Sandy Bridge, which has a much better Integrated GPU (IGP) than they currently offer, thus the 320M in the current 13" MBP.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Q1 2011 seems most likely, that's when Intel is releasing Sandy Bridge

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

really? :confused:

I have been comparing some benchmarks and the 320m is much faster than the Sandy Bridge Intel GPU.

6. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Could you please give us the link to the benchmarks?

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

how could someone benchmark a cpui when it hasnt been released yet/completed/finished 100%

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

Sample units have already been distributed. Just like AMD has distributed some sample units and benchmarked those by 3rd party reviewers ( which was faster than the Sandy Bridge GPU also )

Just search it. It's also posted on this board. Can't be bothered to search for it. It's not hard to find :)

9. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I googled it before asking, even before this topic had been created. The only benchmark test I've known is between the SBridge and the ATI 5450 on Anandtech.com, which not only had SBridge's IGP come on top, but it was also a test with beta-drivers and a lower clock speed.

So please, enlighten me.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

Compare the benchmark of those games with the performance of the 320m in other benchmarks with the same settings. Huge difference in performance.

And the ATI 5450 isn't that fast, the 320m runs circles around it.

Alot more work needs to be done in order for it to compete against the 320m. There is no evidence that the Sandy Bridge IGP is faster than the 320m. There is however the opposite evidence.

11. Blues003 macrumors 6502

When users do not post their sources, I am sorry but I don't take what they say. It is nothing personal, but if I was to believe everything I simply read in the Internet, I'd be pretty misinformed. I'm sure you understand, and that you feel the same way. Would you believe something a random user (like me!) would say?

Having said that, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and took my own time to search on MR. (since you did say it was around here) The only topic I found that had a valid comparison was this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=945733&highlight=320m+benchmark

... which while comparing the 320m to the Intel IGP, doesn't mean a thing. That is because the Sandy Bridge IGP has been vastly improved from the Intel IGP. Maybe I missed another topic?

I am, however, looking foward to seeing your replies and having more information on the subject. I am waiting for the next MBP 13'', and if you can spread knowledge that is not yet wide-spread on these forums, please do! Furthermore, what do you think Apple's solution for the 13'' model will be?

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think it will come February/March - isshh.

It wasn't worth the wait for me, so I just got mine. (well I got it two months ago, but like many, I was a bit hesitant, but decided to just go for it.)

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I'm voting on the straight to sandy bridge route.

The current intel IGP isn't enough on its own, and the 13" is too small to house a discrete GPU