Core I5/I7 V.S. Intel Atom Dual Core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MilleDav01, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MilleDav01 macrumors member

I currently have a netbook with a 1.54 GHZ Dual Core Intel Atom and 2GB of Ram. It infuriates me everyday.

Will the core i5 or core i7 be that much of an improvement from the 1.54GHZ.

I was looking at these two computers:

MacBook Air:

Core i5 or i7 1.8 or 2.0GHZ

8GB Memory

128/256 SSD

MacBook Pro (Non-Retina)

13" 2.5GHZ

Upgrade to 16GB of ram (3rd Party)

Upgrade to SSD

If I were to get there air, would there be a difference in performance between the ATOM and the Core i5/i7?

I do not know much about processors.

I want the 8GB or 16GB honestly to have it. I may never use it. But then again I might some day...

I was also thinking about getting an iPAD to use for TextBooks/Games/Notes with a stylus.

Also, what is the learning curve for MAC OS X LION/MOUNTAIN LION coming from Windows 7 (32Bit)

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

THat would be the equivalent of saying going from this smart car to a bmw 5 class will I know the difference? Yes, yes you would. The atoms were and to a degree are not bad mobile cpus way underpowered but do sip on the power. The i5/i7 are just fast period.

3. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

The atom processor is currently designed to be cheap and conserve power to allow for inexpensive devices.

The new i5/i7s are Intel's most recent chip technology and a few orders of magnitude faster.

The slowest of these will blow your pants off by comparison.

4. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

There is a learning curve - they don't look or operate exactly the same but you still use a mouse/trackpad have icons and click, etc.

I would get a tutorial from the Apple Store if you have the opportunity.

Most of us learned quickly from Windows. I switched in 2004, after 20 years of using PCs :)

5. biohead macrumors 6502

Roughly speaking, the i5/i7's in the current MacBook models will have nearly ten times the performance of the Atom CPU.

It doesn't mean a new MacBook will actually run 10 times faster, but you'll definitely notice the difference.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

My wife, who is non-techno, had no problems switching from Windows to OSx. She has to cope with Windows at work, and has no difficulty switching to OSx at home.

7. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

They'll be far above the nicest computer you've owned.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Visit www.cpubenchmark.net . The fastest Atom processor gets a score of 386. The very first MacBook built in 2006 gets a score of 833. The dual core MBP is around 4,500. Quad core MBPs get close to 8,000.