Core i7 imacs possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wesleyh, Feb 10, 2009.

1. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Could iMac possibly get a core i7 cpu?

http://macosrumors.com/2009/01/30/u...quad-core-what-else-will-be-new/#comment-1186

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost.php?p=1373178&postcount=9

2. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

One can but dream but I don't think, on this update, we'll see them due to the heat issues that they generate. I suspect/hope that if we see the implementation of Core i7 it will be on the update/revision after this one - possibly late 2009 but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the first quarter of 2010. I'm basing this on the fact that the mobile version of these chips are apparently due third quarter of 2009 - and that's assuming Apple continue using mobile componenets for the iMac range - but who knows, maybe Apple will pull something out of the bag.

As a footnote, I've got the cash in hand to buy a new top of the range iMac but I'm able to hold out for a major revision - if the Core i7 chips were introduced in this update I'd be at the front of the que - however if they're not (which I suspect) I'll hang on for the next update / major revision.

3. Soxy macrumors member

Not a chance, it'd require a complete architectural (and probably design) change, you're gonna have to wait till the update-after-this-one to get your hands on this.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

In late 2009-early 2010 when the laptop version of the i7 is released.

5. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

I don't see Core i7 hitting the iMac market until the mainstream version on the cheaper sockets hit the shelves which is I believe the end of 2009.

At the moment the 1366 sockets are for enthusiasts with a smaller socket coming later that will be overclocker unfriendly but also cheaper.

6. shokunin macrumors regular

We're hoping Apple puts 65W penryn quad-cores and crossing our fingers they can come up with a cooling system to support 65W. I highly doubt they could even entertain a 130W TDP i7 processor, let alone the x58 Chipset and ICH10R southbridge, which also consumes quite a bit of power. The increase in wattage would mean a larger power supply, which means even more heat.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Once reputable, now liars.

And if you can fit a 130W chip in the current case without it melting, go right ahead.

8. jgp macrumors member

I agree with Skil

While Apple has been creative with software, they are conservative when it comes to hardware. I would be VERY happy to see an iMac Core i7 and I would buy it! But I do not see it happening. While it is very remote, I see a higher chance that Apple would come out with a mid-tower. Personally I think they should change their line up and make the Pro a mini tower and the current Pro form a sort high end workstation. But that is speculation....

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The imacs, will, eventually, get quad core nehalem based chips. Probably in the next revision, but they may still be laptop chips.

10. opera57 macrumors 6502

A quad core in an imac would be nice, I would go out and buy one tomorrow if they put one in! [​IMG]

11. Macole macrumors member

Macole

Dream ooon ,Dream ooon ,Dream on 'till your dreams come trueee!!:cool:

12. jgp macrumors member

iMac may well get a quad core, but probably not core i7

Intel just released some quad core chips that are essentially two core duos on a chip (I forget the name). NOT nehalem. They would be a boost, certainly. But not the sort of boost you would get with Core i7. I think the odds are good that Apple will use these mid-range quads (they use much less power).

13. opera57 macrumors 6502

An i7 would be very nice, at the moment I can't decide between a mac pro or an imac, and if the i7 went in the iMac I think my decision would definately swing towards it! [​IMG]

14. jgp macrumors member

Well just to play along, one could speculate that the hold up in manufacturing the next gen imacs that has been talked about may be related to some sort of liquid cooling system for Core i7 (like the one Apple submitted a patent for in Dec.). It is fun to hope...

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Yes, but that's pretty far out, unless Apple gets on a much faster development cycle than they seem to be at present.

Those are quad-core Penryns, and they've been out for months. I expect the next iMacs will offer them in some models, but if Apple is that far behind the curve on Penryns how long will it take before we see Nehalems once they're released?

16. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think apple will get these chips quickly. They've been on the ball more and more with new technology (i.e. DDR3 laptops).

17. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

that stuck out to me reading one of the comments from one of the above links.
    the concern over heat could explain all the ruckus over the cooling system, unless that patent was for the Pro
    the guy said "we have been able to confirm once & for all that the new iMacs will indeed have four-core Nehalem processors with the associated improved motherboards."
    I hope he's right

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

"100W" is still too hot. Even 65 W is iffy—and that's for the 24".

55 W (3.07 GHz Core 2 Duo) is the highest we know that can fit in the 24". Higher TDPs may be possible.

Then we can see the PowerBook G5.

19. jgp macrumors member

20. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

21. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I thought the iMac used 65W TDP chips. Best we will get is the new low power quad cores.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I read your comment. There is no way that Apple would push the update even more away. iMac's and Mini's HW is so outdated now.

I decided to wait for end of March, if no update I will build a nice quad-core Hackintosh for me. Big mistake from Apple if no new desktops soon.

That article is ********. We have proofs that new ones should come in this quarter.

I'm really starting to be frustrated...