Core i7 (Nehalem) Based MacBook Pros Possible in Q4 2009?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tom's Hardware reports on Intel's plans to offer their first Core i7 (Nehalem) mobile processors by the fourth quarter of 2009. These 32 nm Arrandale processors will be suitable for notebook designs, and Tom's Hardware speculates that we'll see these in Apple's notebooks:
    Apple's MacBooks and MacBook Pros, however, were last updated in October with the latest 45 nm Penryn processors. So the very next Apple notebook updates will likely come prior to the release of these processors.

The 32 nm process also represents a die-shrink over existing 45 nm-based Intel chips. The new 32 nm process is said to offer an estimated 22 percent performance boost according to Mark Bohr, an Intel senior fellow.

Intel is also expected to transition their desktop processors to the 32 nm design in the same timeframe, but Apple has yet to take advantage of Intel's "desktop"-class processors. Instead, Apple has used Intel's mobile (Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac) and server (Mac Pro, Xserve) processors exclusively.

Article Link: Core i7 (Nehalem) Based MacBook Pros Possible in Q4 2009?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yay, this is welcome news. I knew Intel was going to be slower at delivering notebook-ready Core i7 processors than they would at desktop- and server-class ones. That said, I'm sure the entire MacBook line will get a huge performance boost when these arrive, given what the Core i7 is capable of.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yup... Once this happens, I'll run out and buy a new MBP. Simply. Cannot. Wait.

4. minijon macrumors member

4 threads ... yet another excuse not to go to quad core.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Yeah Apple will most likely use Arrandale instead of Clarksfield for the notebooks due to Clarksfield's power draw. That means an update in late spring 2009 and then the Nehalem update in late 2009 or early 2010.

We'll most likely see quad-cores in the MacBook Pro when Clarksfield goes to 32 nm in 2010.

The combined new microarchitecture plus process shrink should give a pretty big performance increase.

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Huh?

Four threads are a lot weaker than four cores.

I'd rephrase your statement:

8 threads ... yet another excuse to go to quad core.

;)

How about a desktop processor in an actual desktop, not an all-in-one!

7. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I hope this pans out. I would also like to see a desktop processor in the iMac line as well.

8. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Should be something to look out for but it seems so far away. I hope we aren't going to start seeing people waiting for this update for a while yet.

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Yeesh. I just started looking at my MBP with contempt....

These kind of figures are quite astonishing, no? 20% increase year on year?

10. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Yeah, still seems weird knowing what's coming this far in advance. Kinda takes the excitement out of it...

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is. Sure, a "desktop" class CPU in the iMac would be a welcome change. Apple really doesn't have any price room on the low end or the high end between the Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro to introduce a 4th model without cannibalizing sales of other models.

That said, I think 4 cores in a notebook would represent a significant boost in capabilities.

12. SilverRubicon macrumors member

How could Intel releasing processors in Q4 2009 indicate that these processors will make it into Apple products in 2009? I simply do not see the connection. If anything, the Q4 2009 release of these processors points to a possible 2010 Apple product launch. Why pervert the post with such an baseless headline?

13. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

I love this whole Apple+Intel thing. The news of faster'n'better processors keeps poppin' up at a steady pace.
    For now I love my Unibody MBP. It's just so speeeeedy.

14. mudenza macrumors regular

If anything, the iMacs could possibly have Nehalems by the end of this year, but they have yet to update their current processors to the predicted quad-core configuration.

I really don't understand a fling these days.

15. tom53092 macrumors member

Yeah, if by "welcome change" you mean "what millions of people have been wanting and waiting for."

Of those of us who would buy, say, a $1000 consumer desktop, many have opted for the lower-priced Mini in the meantime. Cannibalizing sales of lower priced units is not really a bad thing.

16. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

these babies can't get here soon enough. I'm hammer down day one.

starting to get back problems from lugging the Mac Pro around.

17. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

So... when will I be able to buy a quad-core 32nm MacBook Pro with USB 3.0, Firewire S3200, souped up batteries, finalized Wireless N + integrated 3G, and Blu-ray?

18. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

My plan is to replace my early 2008 MBP in 2010 with a Nehalem based model. Snow Leopard will rock! :D

19. finalcut macrumors 6502

wow 22% performance boost! That is a lot only for a processor. I'm not too familiar with that stuff but will ram run at 1066MHZ just like late 2008 penryn MBP?

20. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The counter argument is that a mini-tower with a desktop COre i7 would attract enough new switchers to offset the worries about "cannibalization".

A lot of people can't or won't pay for the expensive Mac Pro, the Mini is perceived as a toy, and many people don't like all-in-ones for valid reasons.

Yes, if Apple added a true professional portable workstation to the lineup, and didn't cripple it by making it the "thinnest and lightest quad core laptop in the world."

Look at this true professional portable, and as you read think about an Apple announcement of the "MacBook Workstation" with these features:

The professionals who would want 4 cores for on-location work want power - not "thin and light". This market isn't concerned about all-day battery life, or whether it's the latest piece of bling from Ive.

21. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

blah, blah, blah. Apple rarely updates their hardware.. Who cares, this won't happen anyway

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

"It is highly probable that Apple will base new MacBook and MacBook Pro units on 32nm Arrandale Core i7's. With 2 cores and able to process 4 threads, the new MacBook models will be able to save even more power, thanks to the smaller fabrication process as well as optimized processor features."

So the mobile Core i7 Arrandale part is just dual-core with HTT enabled (2 real, 2 logical cores), correct? Compared to the current desktop Core i7 part which is quad-core with HTT enabled (4 real, 4 logical cores)?

So, there's still a chance Apple could decide to use the true quad-core Clarksfield part instead, which has 4 real and 4 logical cores.

Attached Files:

23. billystlyes macrumors 6502a

+1

Wake me when they update the Mac mini, come out with another headless Mac for under $1200, or stop making those super shiny screens on every GD product. Plus, rumors are like ******s. Everyone has one....

24. Shiner macrumors 6502

What he said. I promise you, these processors will not be in the macbook or macbook pro. They are way to expensive for apple to make their profit margin. End of discussion.

25. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I revise what I said. I saw i7 and got all excited. I want 4... count them... 4 cores in my laptop.

Maybe I'll get lucky and Apple will do some type of special run with Intel. That - or I'll wait till 2010