Core2Duo vs i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, Apr 28, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I really want the 13" Macbook Pro because I think the 15" may be too big (I'll be using it for university next year; I'll be living on campus).

Problem is, the 13" Macbook Pro's don't have the new CPUs. Do you think this is a big problem?

Should I just get the 15" one because it comes equipped with the i5 CPUs?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

99% of all tasks that you use a MacBook for take no time at all with an i5 and no time at all with a Core2Duo.

Encoding half a dozen DVDs with Handbrake runs overnight with an i5 and it runs overnight with a Core2Duo.

There is very little where you would notice a difference.

4. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Right now, I do the following:

-watch movies, listen to music
    -use photoshop
    -MS Office
    -browse internet
    -MSN

5. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

No, you would have noticed no difference if Apple would have decided to use i3's. The current available i3's are equivalent to the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo and 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo respectively. There won't be any i processors in the 13" until Sandy Bridge when Intel releases 25 watt versions of them, that however won't happen until 2011.

Get the 13", it will be plenty fast for your needs.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The only thing you listed that needs 'power' is Photoshop. I use Photoshop CS4 all the time and have both a 27" iMac and MB with 4GB ram. The Macbook with 2.26C2D runs Photoshop very smoothly and I would except the new 13" MBP with 2.4 will do the same but 10% faster. Don't worry about the i5, you are good to go with the C2D

7. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

right, the biggest thing is hyperthreading. When programs start to take advantage of this, you should see an increase in performance

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

You should be okay with c2d. :]
    If you believe it is too slow later, just sell it and upgrade ^_^...by then you'll have enuff saved up, so you won't feel as if you spent a lot on it :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The difference between then is around 10-20%, depending on the process. However, for most tasks, such as the ones you're likely to do, where everything you do will take your computer between 0.1 - 5 seconds max, you won't notice a perceptible difference.

10. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

You'll be fine with the C2D...

I imported all my families videos into iMovie, edited them, and put them on DVD. I imported a bunch of CDs into iTunes. Watched a few movies, played World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings back in the day...

Also, just because a processor is "X%" faster, doesn't mean that the programs will work "X%" faster...

--rob

11. MacVibe macrumors regular

12. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I think the C2D is much more than I need anyway.