Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tenjikuronin

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Corel is still in business? I honestly thought they had folded up shop. I know just one person who uses Word Perfect, and it's a really old version. But I don't know anyone else who uses any of their software. I checked their website and was surprised to find that they bought WinZip.

A lot of older attorneys use Word Perfect. Had a law professor send us back essays in WP format, telling is that if we couldn't open them that was our problem.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
The sharks are indeed circling.

Noticed that Aperture is listed as #4 Top Grossing app in the App Store.

Seems odd to be dumping it.

Agreed. This is most puzzling, not to mention disappointing. Despite the lack of updates, Aperture has maintained respect for what it does well.

Lightroom has some nice features, especially the iPad triage business, and I was looking to Apple to give some love to Aperture for pros. True lens correction etc. I just can't stomach adobe's way and will do anything to avoid it. I just need a roadmap.

What I was hoping for, was the surprise-Final Cut X-style upgrade for Aperture, with a whole new lease on life for it. Even with Photos coming, there's a big gap between that and even semi-pro needs. Plenty of room for a non-adobe pro solution. The market is crying out for it. Witness the popularity of Aperture.

It really is hard to fathom Apple's priorities these days. Yeah, yeah consumer focus, blablabla. Pro apps?

I'd dearly love Pixelmator or friends of Pixelmator to fill the gap. Aperture is much loved for its workflow and file management. Something with a workflow that meshes with Pixelmator would hold a lot of appeal for the semi-pro market, maybe even some pros.

Don't suppose there will be any Final Cut-style outcry. It's a different story for a cancelled product, compared to a changed but continuing product.

apple.com/feedback it is, I guess. Worth a try.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If the production values of that video are any indication of the quality of their software, I want nothing to do with it. Yeesh. Not really a great impression.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Seriously, Apple need to get their **** together.

How is it that a multibillion profit company can't hire a few people to update Aperture or at least modernise the UI? I guess that's a rhetorical question because the answer of course is pure arrogance.

And no it's not just the UI that needs updating. As an amateur user Aperture is ok for most of my needs but if I was a pro I can see there are major workflow limitations that would get pretty excruciating after a while. Maybe I'm not aware of some of the hidden commands and functions but if they're there and hidden that's half the problem.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Wordperfect for DOS... those were the days. :D I've never been more productive since.

This Aftershot Pro looks interesting. I might give it a look.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I doubt very many pros (or even advanced amateurs) are going to want to trust Corel with their photos. With Apple covering the lower end with Photos, I don't see why many would choose this app in-between that and Lightroom/Capture One/Bibble/DXO/etc.

FYI: Bibble is Aftershot Pro2. Corel bought Bibble a couple of years ago!

----------

How is it that a multibillion profit company can't hire a few people to update Aperture or at least modernise the UI? I guess that's a rhetorical question because the answer of course is pure arrogance.

No, it's not arrogance, it's actually quite humble of Apple admitting defeat in this sector. It's also being responsible to shareholders by not wasting company resources on a program that doesn't matter much to Apple' bottom line. A responsible company does focus on what's most important rather than getting caught up reviving small stuff that doesn't matter to it's viability.

Arrogance is doing something just because one can. Sure Apple could put a team on it, but why, if it's not going to have a materially affect Apple's bottom line in a positive way. This is really no surprise. Apple has put out tea leaves that it wasn't interested in Aperture at all for some time now -- none of the "please be patient -- coming soonish" signals they issued with FCPX or the Mac Pro. Arrogance is expecting a company to support a program you use forever because you use it.

I've been an Aperture user from the start and not thrilled Apple is EOLing it, but I am glad they are taking it off life support and telling the world go find another program.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Every now and again I use corel painter. I like what it can do but the performance issues are insane. It feels like I am running a shoddy port. Each release has been like this and that is usually yearly.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
That video didn't once show what the software or workflow looked like. Just some crappy pictures with cheesy animation and music.

What I want from a replacement app is a similar workflow to aperture as light rooms is horribly bad. Also, nik plugin support is essential. I'll likely be sticking with aperture 3 till I really have to switch.

Mel Gurney

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Apple no longer a pro company

They're going where the money is, and that's teenagers who wants to snap selfies and share it with their friends.

The Final Cut Pro debacle demonstrated the professional market had become a tiny skin tag on their butt, and the elimination of Aperture is just more of the same. Frustrating for us content creators, but irrelevant in their long term scheme.

They may make good money in the short term, but as a long term strategy, I think it will bite them. I sold my stock when Jobs passed, and have no plans for purchasing future Apple products not because of a grudge but because they were usually "dongles" for must-have software. My Retina MBP was my way of prolonging Final Cut 7, but I don't need to stay in the Apple world any longer.

And they don't care, of course, because I'm not a 17 year old content consumer.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Did someone around here actually give After Shot Pro 2 a try and will be kind enough to share experience? How does it compare to Aperture and LR?

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Corel should focus more on its core applications. Not sure why they don't make CorelDRAW available for the Mac again.

Back in 2000-something (2004 or so) Corel almost went bankrupt and MS bought them. Within 1 year, a new version was released and they dropped Mac-support entirely. You could also clearly see the impact of MS (IMHO, YMMV): it was utterly slow, crashed more often (especially Corel PhotoPaint with built-in effects), and they pulled the usual do-not-innovate-redesign-the-toolbars (e.g., Office 95-97-2000-XP) trick, which drove me away from them. Then, when Corel became more profitable - if I remember correctly - Corel bought itself a way out, but never re-introducting Mac-support. They even had linux support at some point (thought it was Corel Suite 8 or 9).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Corel? Maybe they can make a Blackberry app while they're at it.

LMAO. Good one!

Yes, Corel back in the day was promising. I worked for them and fancied it to an Apple vs Microsoft (difference being Corel didn't come up with the iPod/iPhone lol).

But seriously, WordPerfect was hit by MS's deathgrip on PC installations.

Now, they've gone back to a public company.

Maybe the software is good, but the reference to Blackberry is a good one. Although I think the latter still has a chance (ironically on the software side of things), i wouldn't buy Corel software. It's a small company with an unknown future.

At least some of these others companies like Adobe will be around (most likely) for a long time. There's value in that factor.

Cheers,
Keebler

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
When will you get Coreldraw natively for Mac...! About damn time...!

Corel is still in business? I honestly thought they had folded up shop. I know just one person who uses Word Perfect, and it's a really old version. But I don't know anyone else who uses any of their software. I checked their website and was surprised to find that they bought WinZip.

They are still huge in the printing and pre press industries... In fact in my industry you can't live without Corel... Adobe is **** when it comes to pre press preparations...

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
When will you get Coreldraw natively for Mac...! About damn time...!

They are still huge in the printing and pre press industries... In fact in my industry you can't live without Corel... Adobe is **** when it comes to pre press preparations...

Was just going to say that Corel is huge in the printing industry. I'm a screen printer myself. I design and print and sell my own line of t-shirts through my own site and a couple larger retailers.

That said, I use Adobe just fine. But I was a professional photo retoucher for a number of years before I started the t-shirt business. So I might know my way around it a bit better. Or maybe just do things a bit differently.

Anyway, yes, Corel is still around.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Was just going to say that Corel is huge in the printing industry. I'm a screen printer myself. I design and print and sell my own line of t-shirts through my own site and a couple larger retailers.

That said, I use Adobe just fine. But I was a professional photo retoucher for a number of years before I started the t-shirt business. So I might know my way around it a bit better. Or maybe just do things a bit differently.

Anyway, yes, Corel is still around.

I was in the advertising industry before I joined my father with his printing press... We do offset, digital and wide format... I know my way around the adobe products too... But, adobe lacks when it comes to pre-press for offset and digital... Especially variable data printing... Corel is extremely easy for my variable data stationary printing...

I use illustrator and photoshop for the wide format where I don't have to do much settin up... Similar to your t-shirt printing needs... Offset and digital adobe isn't even interested it seems...

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yes Corel is still out there. Painter is a cool product, but, as noted by another commentator, its performance sucks and has sucked for years now. I never liked Corel Draw much, and preferred the GUI of Illustrator, as a Photoshop user (and yeah, those two Adobe products still don't feel unified in terms of GUI). I was also a long time Word Perfect user. Always hated MS Word. Stuck with WP till I moved to GoBe Productive on BeOS, and then to Apple's Pages, the current version of which now sucks (the iPhone port to OS X, destroying all the features of Pages '09...).

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
Corel Experience

I use Corel product almost every day. Paint Shop Pro is a good alternative to Photo Shop and at a fraction of the price. Corel Draw is excellent and competes well with Illustrator, and again at a fraction of the price. My hope is that Corel becomes more serious about making their products available for the Mac. As the world moves away from Windows products I think that will happen.

I prefer owning software. I hate Adobe's subscription model which costs more and locks you into their ecosystem where who knows how bad they'll screw you once they have you.

Adobe needs a strong competitor and for now I will root for Corel!

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico

And no it's not just the UI that needs updating. As an amateur user Aperture is ok for most of my needs but if I was a pro I can see there are major workflow limitations that would get pretty excruciating after a while. Maybe I'm not aware of some of the hidden commands and functions but if they're there and hidden that's half the problem.

They are taking the Aperture money and hiring more marketing and sales people. What did Jobs say about Microsoft??

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

Enterprise software you make money selling yearly support. Otherwise no one upgrades except every few years

Dying market in a lot of products

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
They are taking the Aperture money and hiring more marketing and sales people. What did Jobs say about Microsoft??

Just look at Apple's homepage under Tim Cook. Too many useless advertising slogans like the ****** "your verse" cluttering the home screen.

Under Jobs, the homepage only ever changed when they released a new product, even for 3-4 months the homepage didnt change until a new product was unveiled.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I use to love WordPerfect. This was way before MS Word and the whole wysiwyg thing took hold.

Glad they are still around but can't see why I would move from LR to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.