Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Federighi said they would welcome Windows on the Mac M1 if Microsoft wanted to do it. Let's see how fast they move to block Linux.
Don't think they ever will.

It's a sales driver, because current and upcoming Apple Silicon computers are probably the best computers to run Linux.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Ubuntu is for the masses. Don’t be such a snob.
I don't think they're being a snob. The article talks about all the things that don't work yet, so, "barely works" is arguably warranted. And I use Linux all day long, but wouldn't willingly use Linux in preference to macOS for my actual desktop system (on the command line, it's great, I'm ssh'd into a bunch of servers from my Mac). Linux using a Mac Mini as server hardware could be quite reasonable, but on a MacBook, as they mentioned, it's kind of a waste, compared to macOS.

marcuzt

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2018
So when can it run Arch? I got a RPi now as a daily driver, would love to switch to M1 powered Arch system instead.

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Wake me up when they actually manage to upstream any of this code into the Linux kernel, until then it’s likely to be unsupported, unmaintained and simply a flex against the developer making an actually supportable Linux effort for the M1s.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NetMage and kc9hzn

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I used Linux years ago. Overall, I liked how well it ran. It was a lean, mean, Linux machine. :D Now that I am using Mac, I can't think of a reason why I still need to use Linux.

If people end up being able to dual boot to Linux from the internal, that would be cool to see.

AdriftAtlas

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Looks like you have to disable security features to boot this thing but the fact that Apple still allows one to disable security is a good sign:

I really hope Apple eventually allows third party OSes to be trusted by the hardware.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I need Ubuntu in every flavor possible, stat! :p
You had Ubuntu a month ago.
This is for people who for whatever (usually unconvincing) reason believe that they HAVE to run Linux bare metal and a VM is just not acceptable.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
You had Ubuntu a month ago.
This is for people who for whatever (usually unconvincing) reason believe that they HAVE to run Linux bare metal and a VM is just not acceptable.
I was trying to be funny. Obviously I need to either background check my joke or just give up altogether. :p

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Can someone fill me in (or point me in a direction to know what's up) on the appeal of Linux running on an M1?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
But why?

The point of installing a different OS is so you can run other programs.

What's available on Ubuntu that isn't available on macOS?

I did install Ubuntu on a 10 year old Mac Mini, but that was so I could install a newer browser so it could access Netflix and YouTube. This might become a problem for the M1 Mac Mini someday, but for now, it's able to run a current version of macOS which has current browsers that work for all the internet that anyone cares about.

You gonna have to start somewhere, isn't it.

Maybe someone like the performance of M1 chip but not necessarily like MacOS? Or maybe someone wants to dual boot because for coding purpose?

The mean reason I returned my M1 Mac is concern of lack alternative OS. If Linux can run well on M1 Mac, then I might buy one again.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
They don’t care if you run Linux. As long as this doesn’t rely on a security flaw, they won’t do anything to stop it. If it does rely on an existing security flaw, they will likely move to fix the security flaw.

So tell me why Apple not allow me run Android on my iPhone? Apple has put every effort to block alternative OS running on their mobile platform. Maybe Apple will do the same for ARM based Mac?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So tell me why Apple not allow me run Android on my iPhone? Apple has put every effort to block alternative OS running on their mobile platform. Maybe Apple will do the same for ARM based Mac?

No they haven’t. If you want to run android on your phone, go ahead. It’s not apple’s job to make it easy for you. The fact that they have a security model to protect the phone, and which, as a bi-product, makes it difficult to change the OS, doesn’t mean they are trying to prevent you from changing the OS.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
What's available on Ubuntu that isn't available on macOS?
Lots of open-source stuff that is technically available on macOS but not practically. Partially because Ubuntu's package manager is better. Currently I run all that kind of stuff in a headless Linux VM on my Mac. Trying to deal with any of it in macOS is a waste of time.

If you care about video games (I don't), Ubuntu is also better just because of Steam Proton. But since that's CPU architecture specific, it's not as relevant in this discussion. Linux also has broader GPU support, maybe relevant for eGPUs or the coming Mac Pro.

As a daily usage OS, Ubuntu is awful. The GUI is jank. The DE uses more power than the Death Star. Random websites just won't work. Waste of time unless you're doing it for the free software movement, in which case good for you.

Last edited:

insoft.uk

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2018
Nice to see the iOS is fare use, Apple was totally wrong claiming copyright, sometimes Apple is right tho in this case totally overstepped the line

hope to see native GPU support soon

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Lots of open-source stuff that is technically available on macOS but not practically. Partially because Ubuntu's package manager is better. Currently I run all that kind of stuff in a headless Linux VM on my Mac. Trying to deal with any of it in macOS is a waste of time.

If you care about video games (I don't), Ubuntu is also better just because of Steam Proton. But since that's CPU architecture specific, it's not as relevant in this discussion. Linux also has broader GPU support, maybe relevant for eGPUs or the coming Mac Pro.
I can't say I've ever seen something which was available for multiple flavors of Linux but not macOS. As for a package manager, doesn't brew satisfy that?

I'm surprised to hear Linux has better GPU support or might be a better option for games. Seemed to me that games always come to Windows, sometimes to Mac, and virtually never to Linux.

Reactions: JDGwf

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I can't say I've ever seen something which was available for multiple flavors of Linux but not macOS. As for a package manager, doesn't brew satisfy that?

I'm surprised to hear Linux has better GPU support or might be a better option for games. Seemed to me that games always come to Windows, sometimes to Mac, and virtually never to Linux.

You can install Steam for linux and use proton. The fact you can run Cyberpunk 2077 on Linux via proton says something. Good luck run this on any Mac...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Haven't played around with Linux in a while. But, I don't have any desire to run it on bare metal, a VM will do for me.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Even with as fast as the M1 chip is, GUI rendering in Linux without hardware acceleration is a real pain (X11 isn’t a developer friendly windowing system). Modern distros reliant on things like Compiz would run like a slug (especially since I don’t think M1 Macs support OpenGL, and this version of Linux certainly doesn’t support Metal).

• Disagree
Reactions: jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.