Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
How are you, guys?

I was wondering how one should lift an iMac.

I always awkwardly hold the stand with one hand and place the other hand below the screen but I dont know if this is the correct way.

Saw videos of people just lifting it by holding the screen but am not sure how strong the casing is and if it is good to grab the black sides...

Also, how rugged is the iMac in general? When I had mine at an Apple Store the guy turned the iMac and changed the screen angle like it was a slab of meat.. made me wonder if the iMac is built more solid than I think or if it should be treated with more caution.

Thanks.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have three iMacs that have been moved houses, desks, and various locations over the past 10 years. I always put the screen toward my body (making sure I am wearing something soft with no zippers, etc) and carry it by the screen. Although the stand obviously holds the weight of the screen while stationary, it is too fragile, IMO, to hold the weight of the iMac while in transport. I wouldn't want to risk torquing the hinge. The weight of the iMac is obviously the screen itself, so I carry it by that part to hold it most steady.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I have three iMacs that have been moved houses, desks, and various locations over the past 10 years. I always put the screen toward my body (making sure I am wearing something soft with no zippers, etc) and carry it by the screen. Although the stand obviously holds the weight of the screen while stationary, it is too fragile, IMO, to hold the weight of the iMac while in transport. I wouldn't want to risk torquing the hinge. The weight of the iMac is obviously the screen itself, so I carry it by that part to hold it most steady.

Yes, this is the best way, in my opinion. I would further add that, for instance, the right hand is placed on the lower corner, palm covering the front aluminium "chin", fingers round to the back and the left hand on the upper corner, with the hand again not touching the front glass but only the metal case on the back, with the corner of the screen in the base of the thumb. Of course you are free to swap left and right but generally thats what works for me. Hope that helps.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

Still wondering how solid the built of the imac is. Can you turn the iMac by pushing or pullong the edges of the screen or would this possibly cause any damage when done too often?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I think the chassis itself is sturdy enough. I will straighten my entire iMac by pushing/pulling on the screen (I probably put a hand on either side for stability when I do this). I think the weak spot is the hinge that attaches the body to the stand.

They aren't designed to be carted around all of the time, but they are definitely moveable when needed.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Still wondering how solid the built of the imac is. Can you turn the iMac by pushing or pullong the edges of the screen or would this possibly cause any damage when done too often?

Your comfort level with this will depend on the surface the iMac is sitting on. Mine is on a glass desktop with very low friction. I frequently adjust the viewing angle by moving the iMac from the edge of the screen. Slides very easily and no concern with stressing anything.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah its sturdy enough. You can easily use the 'chin' area to change the incline angle of the screen and swivel the base on the desk, push it further away from you, pull it closer etc. That is a handy property of the 'chin', that you can interact/reposition it without touching the glass area, which as you know covers the front right up to the edge, theres no plastic bezel round it, which makes one wonder, if Apple were to do away with the 'chin', as some people opine would be a much-needed design advancement, where would the user then have to touch their iMac to manipulate it without touching the glass?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.