Corrosion with no water damage-no backlight, battery won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NorfolkLiz, Dec 4, 2015.

1. NorfolkLiz macrumors newbie

NorfolkLiz

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem...
    Daughter's MacBook Pro 13" went into Apple Store and they said there were two corrosion spots, must have had liquid damage. Pictures they sent attached, I can't see it. Had just scrapped together money to renew Apple Care but doesn't apply, would have to pay more than new to get repaired. She swears there have been no spills, doesn't leave in cold car (condensation), low humidity where she uses it. Wouldn't liquid damage be whole board if there was a spill? (Just as aside, why fan sucks in air? Design flaw? Should be Recall?). I find it interesting that an Apple Store just replaced that (logic ?) board no-charge in August. Does Apple have any kind of appeal process? Completely broke student (and parents) with 7 papers due for finals...
    Mac1.JPG Mac2.JPG

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I'd call Applecare and ask about options. If the mosture sensors don't indicate that a spill happened, Apple may be able to do something. Especially since the logic board was replaced a few months ago.

3. treekram macrumors 65816

What model year is your Mac Book Pro?

For me, I think the damaged areas are pretty obvious - both are near the center of the pictures. I putz around with older circuit boards so perhaps that's what makes it obvious to me but I don't have the experience and the pictures don't have the resolution level for me to speculate what caused it.

Interestingly enough, if you scroll down the page, somebody else recently reported a (possibly) similar issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/13-refurb-macbook-pro-with-bonus-water-damage.1941247/

If you have the time, I would research this on the web to see if others are reporting this issue with your model of the Mac Pro 13" (the MBP in the link above is a 2015 model). Any kind of "appeal" will take time, which is unfortunate considering the time pressure you're under.

4. NorfolkLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

NorfolkLiz

Where are the moisture sensors?

5. NorfolkLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

NorfolkLiz

She bought it in Oct2014

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I hate this crap. It's clearly liquid damaged. Just because a liquid sensor isn't tripped doesn't mean it's not damaged by liquid. Liquid indicators are there to help find liquid damage, not be the end all and be all if something has liquid damage.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :rolleyes:

If the logic board has only been in the computer for a few months, and the user is positive that nothing was spilled on the computer, it's possible that something was wrong with the logic board Apple installed.

8. harry454 macrumors 6502

Call applecare and ask to speak to supervisor/customer relations

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I just told you how I really feel.

Because it doesn't work like that. With that kind of corrosion that board wouldn't have worked when installed, if it was installed like that. I've been working on Macs professionally for 8 years, I know what I am talking about. I deal with this kind of shenanigans on a weekly basis where people employ all kinds of mental gymnastics to try to explain why their machine is damaged, but because it's "not their fault", it should be covered. I've had two year old machines with an entire can of soda in them where the user says "it must have come from the factory like that" ... right because it would have worked for two years like that.

Why is it so far fetched that maybe, just maybe, some kind of liquid got in your device and you didn't know about it?

10. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Bought in Oct. last year and was just now about to buy AppleCare? Sorry, but you're a little late as you are only eligible to buy AppleCare until the original 1 year warranty expires.

I'll concur with @bizzle I can clearly see the corrosion on both pictures, though like him my eye may be more trained to see it than others. If you've ever seen an alkaline battery leak and corrode you'll see the corrosion in the first picture.

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Funny thing. I worked at an AASP from 2003-2008 and there were a handful of times that we'd receive a service part from Apple that had minor corrosion and didn't work. Apple has the option of using refurbished parts, after all. If there were times that we had boards come in FROM APPLE with minor corrosion that didn't work, I wonder how many times boards arrived with minor corrosion that DID work.

I work at a contract manufacturer now, and we build circuit boards for different customers. I know how corrosive certain types of flux can be if not properly activated or cleaned up.

I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that liquid got into the computer. Are you saying that it isn't a possibility that Apple screwed up when repairing the board that ended up in the OPs computer?

12. bizzle macrumors 6502a

That's not "minor corrosion".

There are dried water marks on the fan.

I know all about Apple service parts. I was a Mac Genius and work at an AASP. I am not even going to try to argue this further because you're wrong, the OP is wrong and nothing is going to convince you both that you're wrong.

13. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Funny thing. You "know all about Apple service parts." But you don't even acknowledge the possibility that the service part(likely refurbished) may have had an issue from some point in its previous life. It happens, I've seen it several times.

I could say the same thing about you. In fact I will: you're wrong, and it's not worth the time an energy trying to convince you otherwise.

OP, if you're sure nothing was spilled on the Mac, call AppleCare and ask them what they can do. They may tell you you're out of luck, or they may hear you out and offer a solution.

14. Gonzbull macrumors member

To me in the first pic it looks like a component failed and leaked its contents. How do you get a liquid in a spot like that without damaging surrounding components.

15. treekram macrumors 65816

The only typical component that would leak is an electrolytic capacitor and unless it has a non-typical packaging, I don't see those in the photos. Electrolytic capacitors, when they leak, will usually leak a brown fluid.

16. NorfolkLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

NorfolkLiz

Renewed the Apple Care before the Warantee expired and before the problem

17. NorfolkLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

NorfolkLiz

Does anyone see the liquid sensors in the photos of the corrosion?

18. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

None of the LCIs (Liquid Contact Indicators) are visible in the 2 pictures. Actually, most of them are only visible once the MLB has been removed.

19. steve23094, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Apple's say on water damage is not the be all and end all, they have have been wrong in the past.

http://mashable.com/2011/01/31/apple-water-damage-policy/#ODZFQrQioPqp

20. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

But you have slightly altered your point. Before it was a binary 'Apple can't supply corroded parts' sort of thing, now it's a 'that's not minor, that's a lot of water damage'.