Corrupt transparent animated gifs in iOS safari

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by pubjoe, Jun 1, 2012.

1. pubjoe, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

pubjoe macrumors 6502

Arrrgh! I know webkit has never been very good with gifs, but the current iOS safari is driving me mad.

I am making a set of smilies. I'd previously had to tweak the odd pixel to make them play nice on safari on both Mac OS and iOS - finding the problem can be quite a long process though. Mac safari seems a bit less fussy now with recent updates and I keep hoping that iOS will eventually get better. But with recent updates it's got even worse. My animated smilies that I had previously fixed now flicker and glitch like crazy. I can't seem to fix them - I've experimented with different palettes ...tidied up the rgb colour codes ...100% web safe colours, but they're still corrupt. Here's a couple of examples...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I have tried a few tests to narrow down the problem, but even with 100% web safe colours, or even 3 colour greyscale, it still glitches.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also tried a test anim with my preferred palette, in iOS you can see here that certain colours cause corruption, even websafe colours, even #000000 !!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am using photoshop CS3. Does anyone have any tips for me to work around these problems? It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of just giving up and letting them glitch on iOS. :(

2. pubjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally got it. It's something to do with webkit on mobiles not liking the way photoshop disposes frames automatically. Right-click all frames on the timeline, turn off "automatic" (in this case, change all to dispose) and the problem is now gone.

[​IMG]