Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the upgrades in the iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 worth $300 to you? (Read OP First)

• Yes

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 50 50.0%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
This thread is for all those on the fence about the iPhone X vs the iPhone 8.

Let me break it down for you.
iPhone 8 256GB is $849.99
iPhone X 256GB is $1149.99

That's a $300 dollar price difference (not $400).
So the question is what are you getting for $300? Is it worth it?

Think about what your actually getting here:
  • Face ID (and all the hardware with the projector depth mapping, etc.)
  • Animojis
  • Dual Optical Image Stabilization in both cameras on the rear of the iPhone X (the 8 and the 8+ only have one camera with OIS) this means less blurry photos, and the X will be better for darker lighting conditions
  • Full size OLED high resolution "Super Retina Display", better colors, resolution, you can get more than 11 inches closer to the screen and it'll still look good
  • Telephoto Portrait lens on the iPhone X's dual camera has a better aperture than the iPhone 8+ (f/2.4 vs. f/2.8)
  • Everything in the 8+ is packed in a "very close to 8" form factor
  • - 21 hours of Battery Life (Talk Time) instead of 14, this is equivalent to iPhone 8 Plus
  • - Bigger than 8+ display
  • - 2 Rear cameras instead of the 1 on the 8. This means no portrait mode, and pictures will not look as good.
Looking at the 8+ vs 8, there is a $100 price difference. (that gives you a bigger phone with better stuff [8 to an 8+])
256GB iPhone 8 is $849.99, and the 256GB iPhone 8+ is $949.99.

Say if were willing to pay another $100 to give you everything in the 8+, but in the same size phone as the 8 (or very close to it). Then you are left with thinking whether the remaining $100 is worth having the following (aside from what the 8+ has):

- Face ID w/Animoji's
- Better Aperature Camera with OIS on the 2nd rear camera too unlike 8+
- Full size OLED Super Retina Display bigger than 8+ while almost the same size hardware-wise to the 8

If so, then yeah the X is worth it otherwise, you can get the 8.

The only plus side 8 has over the X is that it's got Touch ID, but given that what Apple said was the Touch ID API is exactly the same as the Face ID API for authentication, it's the future, all the execs are using it and haven't missed it, your not missing out much at this point. Whether they bring it back is a whole different story, but instead of guessing the uncertainty, if you look at what is actually there on paper that Apple is trying to sell you... you determine if the value proposition is there.

Personal Opinion
I am biased towards having a small phone I can handle comfortably with one hand. Some say 8+ is easy, but no matter how you cut it, the 8 will be easier because it is smaller. That said, with a 6, I've been missing out on all the OIS which leads to blurry photos. I love photography, I really do. So for me, the better cameras are always a plus, but the main selling point is the form factor and the battery life in the size of the phone. Sure, Better Camera, OLED, Face ID are great, and Animojis, but the Form Factor and Battery Life are I think the biggest advantages of the iPhone X that make me want to switch. To me, my initial impressions are iPhone X appears really expensive on paper, and it really is, but if you break it down and think about it from a different perspective, it could actually end up feeling cheaper.

Last edited:

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Apple themselves said two hours more battery than the 7/8, so 16 hours of battery, not 21. As a 7 user, I find the battery to be the weakest part of the phone. I'm constantly charging mine. Gimme that 8 Plus with its big fat battery.

If you look at what Apple has listed on their website (https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/):
Screen_Shot_2017_09_16_at_9_16_12_PM.png

Though you are right that Apple says:
Screen_Shot_2017_09_16_at_9_18_16_PM.png

It appears the only impact it has is on video playback and internet use, which the X has less than the 8 Plus by 1 hour.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
This thread is for all those on the fence about the iPhone X vs the iPhone 8.

Let me break it down for you.
iPhone 8 256GB is $849.99
iPhone X 256GB is $1149.99

That's a $300 dollar price difference (not $400).
So the question is what are you getting for $300? Is it worth it?

Think about what your actually getting here:
  • Face ID (and all the hardware with the projector depth mapping, etc.)
  • Animojis
  • Dual Optical Image Stabilization in both cameras on the rear of the iPhone X (the 8 and the 8+ only have one camera with OIS) this means less blurry photos, and the X will be better for darker lighting conditions
  • Full size OLED high resolution "Super Retina Display", better colors, resolution, you can get more than 11 inches close to the screen and it'll still look good
  • Telephoto Portrait lens on the iPhone X's dual camera has a better aperture than the iPhone 8+ (f/2.4 vs. f/2.8)
  • Everything in the 8+ is packed in a "very close to 8" form factor
  • - 21 hours of Battery Life instead of 14
  • - Bigger than 8+ display
  • - 2 Rear cameras instead of the 1 on the 8. This means no portrait mode, and pictures will not look as good.
Looking at the 8+ vs 8, there is a $100 price difference. 256GB iPhone 8 is 849.99, the 256GB iPhone 8+ is 949.99. Though keep in mind, $100 dollars gives you a bigger phone with better stuff (8 to an 8+).

Say if took another $100 to give you everything in the 8+, but in the same size phone you have now. Then you are left with thinking whether $100 to have the following (aside from what the 8+ has):
- Face ID w/Animoji's
- Better Aperature Camera with OIS on the 2nd rear camera too unlike 8+
- Full size OLED Super Retina Display bigger than 8+ while almost the same size hardware-wise to the 8

If so, then yeah the X is worth it otherwise, you can get the 8.

The only plus side 8 has over the X is that it's got Touch ID, but given that what Apple said was the Touch ID API is exactly the same as the Face ID API for authentication, your not missing out much at this point. Whether they bring it back is a whole different story, but instead of guessing the uncertainty, if you look at what is actually there on paper that Apple is trying to sell you... you determine if the value proposition is there.

Personal Opinion
I am biased towards having a small phone I can handle comfortably with one hand. Some say 8+ is easy, but no matter how you cut it, the 8 will be easier because it is smaller. That said, with a 6/6S, I've been missing out on all the OIS which leads to blurry photos. I love photography, I really do. So for me, the better cameras are always a plus, but the main selling point is the form factor and the battery life in the size of the phone. Sure, Better Camera, OLED, Face ID are great, and Animojis, but the Form Factor and Battery Life are I think the biggest advantages of the iPhone X that make me want to switch. To me, my initial impressions are iPhone X is really expensive on paper, and it really is, but if you break it down and think about it from a different perspective, it could actually end up feeling cheaper.
I have a question for you: Do you own a home, pay major bills, work and etc.? The reason that I'm asking is because even though it looks enticing to get x with price difference, there are people who are being rational about what they buy. Me, personally, I'm in the situation that I could afford x easily, but spending like this kind of money is a big decision, at least with me. I'm sure lot of people could use 300 dollars to pay for bills or use it for other things. While you do point good stuff, people will buy the phone (either android or iphone) based on needs, values, and their current situation.

EDIT: nevertheless, it's still enticing. BTW, i'm not sure if this post was to convince others to get it or was it just to debating?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I don't know if you purposefully left it out, but above those stats it says for the X "lasts about 2 hours longer than the iPhone 7."
I updated the post since you've quoted, but even if you look closely... the only 2 hours shaved off of the battery estimates listed by apple is 1 hour less of internet browsing, and 1 hour less of video watching. I'll update my OP to clarify.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
This is exactly the thread I needed honestly! I wanted to get the 8+, but honestly for $150 more (literally a few dollars more a month) I see how much more I'm getting. It's funny, cause when I compare them both I actually can't justify the price of the 8+ when I see how much I'm missing out on. I feel a lot more confident with getting the X now :)

Reactions: redman042

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I updated the post since you've quoted, but even if you look closely... the only 2 hours shaved off of the battery estimates listed by apple is 1 hour less of internet browsing, and 1 hour less of video watching. I'll update my OP to clarify.

I am curious how to reconcile their tech spec numbers with their statement, repeated on the website, that the X gets two hours more battery life than the 7. The math looks fuzzy to me.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I am curious how to reconcile their tech spec numbers with their statement, repeated on the website, that the X gets two hours more battery life than the 7. The math looks fuzzy to me.
That tech spec information is kind of fishy isn't it? They used to put out specific hours of total battery life.

Reactions: Supermallet

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I have a question for you: Do you own a home, pay major bills, work and etc.? The reason that I'm asking is because even though it looks enticing to get x with price difference, there are people who are being rational about what they buy. Me, personally, I'm in the situation that I could afford x easily, but spending like this kind of money is a big decision, at least with me. I'm sure lot of people could use 300 dollars to pay for bills or use it for other things. While you do point good stuff, people will buy the phone (either android or iphone) based on needs, values, and their current situation.

EDIT: nevertheless, it's still enticing. BTW, i'm sure if this post was to convince others to get it or was it just to debating?

I do... I'm not trying to convince others, I am still attempting to convince myself, but looking at the facts. That's why I made a poll :)

Reactions: pat500000

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I don't understand comparing the two for "worth" .. yes they are both phones, they have things in common and differences. Just like cars. BUT I'm sorry IMHO they are two different things, with two prices but it's not about what it's worth -to me- it's which one do you like the look of and want?
Pick it and either be ok with the price or pick something cheaper.. just like buying a car. You pick the model and features and how it looks that you LIKE and are happy with the price.
Hope that makes sense, just my take. I just am amazed at how pressured or worried people are about it being "worth it" to buy an X. It looks so different! That should be more of a factor than it seems to be.. I don't get it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Great thread OP, I was definitely one of those on the fence between 8+ and X, I even preordered 8+ via T-Mobile, TWICE and ended up canceled both time because I know deep down inside I will regret it after the X comes out.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The iPhone X is so radically new, I would prefer to wait it out for a while to see how it holds up with new owners. The iPhone 8/Plus is a proven design while the X is going into the unknown. The X is in my future, just a distant one. I will upgrade in 2019 when the second general Plus model of the X gets released. In the mean time, I have my eyes set on an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black.

Reactions: Bee1776

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The choice isn't between the iPhone X and iPhone 8, it is between the iPhone 7 and iPhone X.

This. I have a 7 right now, and am very tempted to hang on to it for another year. It'll run iOS 11 just fine, and I'm happy with it.

I wouldn't touch a Plus with a barge pole. Far too big and ugly bezels, plus if I'm going to upgrade, I'd go for the superior screen. So it comes down to 7/X for me. I think this breathing space is going to end up allowing me to feel comfortable staying put for a year.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Great OP. When it's all listed like that it reinforces for me why the X isn't worth it. For me I could afford it if I really wanted it, but I can't justify paying over £1000 for a device that isn't that much better than devices £300, £400 cheaper. When you've got a family and home to pay for, these types of purchases become less appealing.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I'm guessing they're estimating the proportion of time the average user spends doing various activities (surfing/calling/audio/video) on their device, and using that to test/calculate that the average person will see upto 2 hours more from the X.

Last edited:

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I'm guessing they're estimating the proportion of time the average user spends doing various activities (surfing/calling/audio/video) on their device, and using that to test/calculate that the average person will see upto 2 hours more from the X.

I am assuming that test was probably different than how they did their breakdown, or they may have done a lot less video watching and web browsing. Probably spent most of their time chatting on the phone, since that has the highest battery efficiency.

DJosche

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2017

EDIT: nevertheless, it's still enticing. BTW, i'm not sure if this post was to convince others to get it or was it just to debating?
I think it was a clarification more than anything else. Personally, I'm going to buy 2 iPhone X's and sell them to early adopters. This will cover the cost of my own X almost entirely if everything goes well.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I think the differences are worth $300... but the wait wasn't. I'm getting my 8 tomorrow. If I could've gotten the X just as easily (ordered at 6am ET pre-order day and arrival tomorrow), I would've spent the difference. Waiting another 3-5 months with my 6 was unbearable.

Reactions: DJosche
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.