Costly mistake on IPHONE 4 need help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MarkAELSU, Mar 25, 2011.

1. MarkAELSU macrumors newbie

Well, I was taking apart the iphone 4, I've done it about 40 times with no problems, and this time the tool I use to pry the screen loose, slipped and completely scratched this part of my iphone. Not sure what its TECHNICALLY termed, or where to even order the replacement. The phone works, doesn't light up at all on the LCD which is probably directly related to the huge scratch you see on that part of the assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why do you keep taking apart your iphone like 40 times?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Just needs a bigger hammer.:D

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This and you took out the LCD seating and/or the separator from the rest of the components. Hence you may be causing a SC.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Or one of these:
    [​IMG]

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

LMAO...Yup, that'll work.

8. MarkAELSU thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link to directfix. Unfortunately, I can't find a single seller that sells the mid assembly bezel fully assembled, as it is when you take the screen off. Looks like the sell them without the vga camera, etc etc basically just an empty shell. I'm looking for one that is fully assembled, or that has some kind of tutorial on how to fix that scratched part.

As for the other small talk, I take them apart because I work on them. I've just never had the mistake that happened yesterday happen.

Phone works, just no lcd lighting up, can answer calls just can't see whose calling. So its a direct result of what happened on that bezel/assembly

9. jp70 macrumors member

Crowbar would work too

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D

11. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

That won't stop the LCD lighting up. I test screens with them out of the case. You have circuit board or screen damage. But if you want the part www.lunacommerce.com in china sell them. I have one on my shelf now so I know you can get them.

12. MarkAELSU, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

MarkAELSU thread starter macrumors newbie

thats who i order from. luna commerce. ive put 2 luna commerce frames on it, and the same thing has happened. its dark. no lcd lighting up. and its ever since i did that to someones bezel assembly. so either a ) 2 of those luna commerce fronts have been bad or 2) me driving a screw driver across that sticker/ black paste did something. ill try another though if you think its really just bad luck?

what the hell is the piece called that i scratched to begin with? its what the lcd/digitzier rests on so i imagined thats why its dark and teh screen isn't lit. but i figured the thing would light up, just wouldnt respond to touch in that specific quadrant, unless of course the scratch interrupted some boards/circuits that are built into it

13. MarkAELSU thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've put 3 seperate screens on it since this mistake happened. 2 luna commerce (1 white , 1 black) and 1 black OEM screen, all of which didn't work on the iphone. Even swapped the one on the broken phone, to another 4, and the other 4 worked fine with the same screen/lcd from luna commerce. It's something to do with what i scraped. Thinking I'm bout to have to slang this thing on eBay for spare parts. It's not worth it to me to have to buy a middle assembly, without anything else attached to it.

14. MarkAELSU thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I brought it in today to a myphonemd. Paid $20 for them to tell me that my logic board is fried.

I still don't believe them though. Why would I be able to still see the phone working under really bright light? I can even see it so much as to send a text message or read them.

I'm convinced it has something to do with that scratch across that grey matter on the plate of the mid assembly. But who knows. I could further test my theory by just taking that logic board and throwing it in my other iPHONE 4 to see if it works, but at this point I'm just about over it. About to list it on eBay as is broken