Could a MBP bought on eBay be fixed in a genius bar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zakoth, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Zakoth macrumors member

The listing says it has a year Apple warranty with it.

If not would buying AppleCare help?

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If it says 'Apple Warranty' - its most probably referring to Applecare, which is fine for instore use at the genius bar.

Although, do double check with the seller by sending a PM - if they've bought it from a 3rd party reseller (Best Buy, Target, John Lewis...), the warranty in the listing may be implying to a warranty specific to these stores only.

3. Bear macrumors G3

The 1 year Apple Warranty starts with the original purchase from an authorized reseller.

Did the person say the machine was new/unopened?

Also, if the machine is still in its initial 1 year warranty, you could buy AppleCare to extend the warranty.

But to answer your question, if it is still under an Apple Warranty (or AppleCare) you can go to the Genius Bar for warranty work. If the Apple warranty(and AppleCare) has expired you can still use the Genius Bar, but they will charge for hardware repairs.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Grab the serial number from the seller and run it through the apple support page....This will give you accurate info on warranty status etc. if the seller refuses to provide you with the information, I'd be inclined to steer clear, but I'm super paranoid about eBay, CL etc.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I sell on ebay many many many minis.

the warranty will transfer. Tell him you want the serial number. then check it here.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I am a usa seller but have sold minis overseas to Spain UK Israel Canada the warranty transfers. If he does not want to give you warranty info don't buy from him.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Agreed 1 million percent!

It's also worth adding that even if it is under warranty, there are certain things that will void the warranty that may not be obvious from pictures. The most common is water damage.

7. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

It says it's new, I'll ask for a serial number.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ehhh, this can be a bit deceptive if it has Applecare. The way the scam works on ebay is they send you a key and it will register with Apple and show on selfsolve, but when you go to claim a repair the plan is invalid.

eBay unfortunately has a really high scam ratio on Apple laptops.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The warranty will not be 1 year unless they buy it the day they ship it to you. eBay is not an approved selling method for authorized resellers, so your warranty will begin the day it was purchased from a reseller or from Apple directly. That said, as long as it's within a month or so, you'll still get a good deal if the price is right.

jW

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

+1 - i would recomend craigslist.

11. Zakoth thread starter macrumors member

12. medi.freak macrumors regular

13. Kasalic macrumors regular

The picture says 17" - but you are right it does not specify this in the text so you could end up with anything!

14. medi.freak macrumors regular

oups, yeah you're right. I guess I should really get that Thunderbolt Display soon. Probably would have noticed that on a 27" :D

15. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Look at the sellers other listings inside the computer section. Brander new 27" iMac i7 for 400<. Sounds like a scam bro.