Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
It's actually more content that's lost around the 4 edges when zooming, than the notch area.

You're just imagining more is lost behind the notch because of its indented design, when watching in cropped mode.

I'd love to zoom in, but the lost content on all sides is a turn off. If I could watch full screen, uncropped, then the notch would just disappear for me.

People making a big deal out of it, on a device that's not a proper resolution for most video aspect ratios.

I think when viewing any device and especially for any kind of media, the screen should be symmetrical.

I don’t think anyone is “making a big deal” of it here.

I can live with the notch but when there is a perfect solution out there on the software side - it would nice to have the OPTION to drop the screen lower.

If you don’t mind the notch cutting into the screen and also don’t zoom in for video then that’s fine - you leave it as it is.

But for others - they would prefer a different solution and it’s sefish to just brush it off as “no big deal” because it isn’t for you.

Like I said before - some videos I will zoom in because not much is lost and it’s nice to have it full screen.

Others I will keep the rectangle box way.

Also on pictures too - some pictures could fill the screen but the notch takes out the top part..

I accept hardware challenges would mean moving the speaker to the top of the phone rather than the front and perhaps get the cameras under the screen somehow but that’s a few years off going by Apple’s pattern of keeping the same phone design for 2 years or even 4 with the 6 / 6S / 7 / 8 Phones all virtually the same but with minor tweaks.

So the X and notch may be around for 2-4 years but a software update to drop the screen and make it symmetrical would be simple enough for Apple and LG have already done it ...

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
.....If you don’t mind the notch cutting into the screen...

In my opinion, the notch is not cutting into the screen. I hate the term notch because what we are truly dealing with is a shortened bezel, with the display wrapping around this bezel which sadly has been coined the notch. We get more display and not less. I agree that this bezel does get in the way of watching cropped video, but then no one needs to watch cropped video. The X+ will solve this with the bigger screen. Only my opinion of course :)

Reactions: MEJHarrison

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
In my opinion, the notch is not cutting into the screen. I hate the term notch because what we are truly dealing with is a shortened bezel, with the display wrapping around this bezel which sadly has been coined the notch. We get more display and not less. I agree that this bezel does get in the way of watching cropped video, but then no one needs to watch cropped video. The X+ will solve this with the bigger screen. Only my opinion of course :)

If there was an option to drop the screen and then watched cropped video, the notch wouldn’t cut into the screen but you’d get more screen for your video.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
If there was an option to drop the screen and then watched cropped video, the notch wouldn’t cut into the screen but you’d get more screen for your video.

Just like all the large bezel phones. However, you would be getting less video once cropped.
I would like the option to view full screen video without the need to crop on my X.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
My issue with that is we gave $1000 for this phone the x+ shouldn’t fix it and use current x owners have to deal with it. Not everyone wants a Hugh phone. The current X is perfect size for me and alot of others.

Reactions: Raist3001

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
My issue with that is we gave $1000 for this phone the x+ shouldn’t fix it and use current x owners have to deal with it. Not everyone wants a Hugh phone. The current X is perfect size for me and alot of others.

Well what I meant by this being fixed with plus sized phones pertains to simply the larger screen. Letter boxed video on a plus size will appear to look better because of the larger screen. They will still crop when going full screen. So X owners are not losing anything.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Well what I meant by this being fixed with plus sized phones pertains to simply the larger screen. Letter boxed video on a plus size will appear to look better because of the larger screen. They will still crop when going full screen. So X owners are not losing anything.
O ok I misunderstood you, my bad.

Reactions: Raist3001

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012

I want a X+

I much prefer a larger screen and phone.

The X is quite small as I’m used to Plus phones ..

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I want a X+

I much prefer a larger screen and phone.

The X is quite small as I’m used to Plus phones ..
Yeah I understand. I’m glad they are coming out with the X+ for people that want it. I’m just saying i think it’s wrong to take away from the people that don’t want such a big phone. When we are paying a premium price.

stevemess1234

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2018
I have an iPhone X which I absolutely love and although the Notch is annoying and obtrusive - it is something I can live with.

However, I would of course prefer a notch-free iPhone.

Do you guys think there is a chance Apple could make a notch free X Plus?

Assuming it has a larger 6.5 screen, that would give it considerably more space on the phone and an ability to have a symmetrical screen like the S9+
[doublepost=1527784911][/doublepost]The notch is the best thing that ever happened to the Iphone. Everyone is starting to copy this design. there is no way in the world (physically impossible) to not have a notch and also give you the maximum screen to body ratio. See my analysis below. Iphone x Plus will blow everyone out of the water in 2018 (Sept). The attached analysis assumes that apple will continue with the 19.5 to 9 aspect ratio and that the bezels on the iphone x plus will be same as the iphone x (2017). The bezels on the iphone X Plus (2018) may be smaller.
[doublepost=1527786317][/doublepost]
Yeah I understand. I’m glad they are coming out with the X+ for people that want it. I’m just saying i think it’s wrong to take away from the people that don’t want such a big phone. When we are paying a premium price.
At the end of the day we all want the biggest screen size on the smallest hadset size.
[doublepost=1527786681][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1527784911][/doublepost]The notch is the best thing that ever happened to the Iphone. Everyone is starting to copy this design. there is no way in the world (physically impossible) to not have a notch and also give you the maximum screen to body ratio. See my analysis below. Iphone x Plus will blow everyone out of the water in 2018 (Sept). The attached analysis assumes that apple will continue with the 19.5 to 9 aspect ratio and that the bezels on the iphone x plus will be same as the iphone x (2017). The bezels on the iphone X Plus (2018) may be smaller.
At the end of the day we all want the biggest screen size on the smallest hadset size.
The Galaxy S9 Plus has symetry but at a huge cost (the phone is way to tall). All phones in the future will have the Notch. There is no way around it. Otherwise you will get phones that are too tall and phones that don't maximize the screen to body ratio (both of those things are very very important). Get use to the notch, its a thing of beauty. Let go of the need for symetry. If you look at anything in nature, its not symetrical. Symetry is not natural but man made/created. Let it go.

Attachments

• Iphone X Plus Comparison.pdf
    188.2 KB · Views: 201

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
[doublepost=1527786681][/doublepost]
The Galaxy S9 Plus has symetry but at a huge cost (the phone is way to tall). All phones in the future will have the Notch. There is no way around it. Otherwise you will get phones that are too tall and phones that don't maximize the screen to body ratio (both of those things are very very important). Get use to the notch, its a thing of beauty. Let go of the need for symetry. If you look at anything in nature, its not symetrical. Symetry is not natural but man made/created. Let it go.

There’s no need to do anything other than allow a toggle to drop the screen for those that want to do so.

For me, that would be the better experience.

Especially with a X+

The screen will be even bigger so dropping it down won’t be much of a loss, what 2mm ?
[doublepost=1527788089][/doublepost]

What do you mean?

Apparently there will be 3 phones:

Current 5.8
LCD 6.1
X+ 6.5

So who loses out?

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
There’s no need to do anything other than allow a toggle to drop the screen for those that want to do so.

For me, that would be the better experience.

Especially with a X+

The screen will be even bigger so dropping it down won’t be much of a loss, what 2mm ?
[doublepost=1527788089][/doublepost]

What do you mean?

Apparently there will be 3 phones:

Current 5.8
LCD 6.1
X+ 6.5

So who loses out?
I misunderstood what he said. I thought he said that the x plus would allow full screen without cutting the video off.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not yet. It will probably look smaller in comparison to the wider display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.