Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I was reading this review and he said there could be more RAM since the Mini supports Siri and the iPad 2 does not.

"Its dual-core A5 chip might be the same as in the $399/£329 iPad 2 (introduced in 2011 and still on sale) although it's possible Apple added more RAM, since the iPad mini supports Siri, and the iPad 2 (which has 512MB of RAM) doesn't."

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Only if they use a different A5 part number than the iPad 2.

It almost certainly is using the revised A5 (32nm) that is in the current version of the iPad 2. There's also a single-core 32nm A5 (actually, dual-cores with one disabled/defective) in the AppleTV 3rd gen.

It's entirely possible Apple is running a 3rd specification of the A5 with more RAM.

But doubtful.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
"And if my grandma had wheels, she'd be a wagon."

Who uttered these profound words?

But Chief Engineer Montogomery Scott, of course...

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
I don't think it's the RAM that dictates if it includes Siri or not. I seem to remember an article about why the iPhone 4 didn't get Siri and it has something to do with a certain chip.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
if the mini has 1gb of ram. that will change my mind. i will get one, because after using the iphone 5 with 1gb of ram. never i saw a refreshing safari ever. :D

NC12309

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Of course the iPad mini doesn't have more RAM than the 2...How else would they sell a new model next year?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Doesn't the new iPod touch have an A5 with 512mb? It has Siri enabled. I don't see why the iPad Mini would have a better CPU/RAM than the iPod touch at this point.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This needs to be deciphered

ipadminia5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
What's strange is that the ipad mini A5 has APL0398 specification which is apple's A4 processor.

The A5 on the ipad 2 has APL0498 which is clearly the A5 CPU.

I think from the numbers on each chip, you can figure out the actual memory size...just like they did from the A6 chip on the iphone 5 before it was even shipped to buyers.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The reviewer has no clue what he's talking about, he's just guessing for the sake of discussion.

You know what device Siri launched on?

Now, tell me how much RAM that device has.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

Wow, I just found out apple really threw a curve ball. The A5 processor in the image I attached was taken from the actual VIDEO of the ipad mini - when they zoomed into the A5 processor, this was what it showed. Then I looked up this link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/1/17/20111013203103!Apple_A4_Chip.jpg

It's the A4 processor. SAME EXACT ALPHANUMERIC descriptions. I guess apple don't want you to figure anything out before it's shipped!

They had real info printed on stage live at the sept 12 presentation for the iphone 5 - hence people were able to decipher the memory size manufacturer description.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Wow, I just found out apple really threw a curve ball. The A5 processor in the image I attached was taken from the actual VIDEO of the ipad mini - when they zoomed into the A5 processor, this was what it showed. Then I looked up this link:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/1/17/20111013203103!Apple_A4_Chip.jpg

It's the A4 processor. SAME EXACT ALPHANUMERIC descriptions. I guess apple don't want you to figure anything out before it's shipped!

They had real info printed on stage live at the sept 12 presentation for the iphone 5 - hence people were able to decipher the memory size manufacturer description.

No way...is this serious?!

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
No way...is this serious?!

If it were true, anyone who knows what they're doing would notice in an iPad Mini teardown. They would then announce it, prove it, and there would be a class action suit against Apple for false advertising.

So, no. It's not the A4. Apple isn't that stupid.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
If it were true, anyone who knows what they're doing would notice in an iPad Mini teardown. They would then announce it, prove it, and there would be a class action suit against Apple for false advertising.

So, no. It's not the A4. Apple isn't that stupid.

Obviously they were stupid enough to put it in there official iPad Mini Video on the website...check it out for yourself. Just took a screenshot at the end of the video and the numbers match up to the A4 chip.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 2.11.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 2.11.21 AM.png
    370 KB · Views: 63

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Obviously they were stupid enough to put it in there official iPad Mini Video on the website...check it out for yourself. Just took a screenshot at the end of the video and the numbers match up to the A4 chip.

And you have no idea what those numbers mean. For all you know they could be identification numbers of the A4 they were made in and it was made in the same factory as the picture A4.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
And you have no idea what those numbers mean. For all you know they could be identification numbers of the A4 they were made in and it was made in the same factory as the picture A4.

The numbers belong to an A4 chip. It's obvious. It's either a lazy graphics dept or they don't want to give away the real iPad mini processor info before its shipped!

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
The numbers belong to an A4 chip. It's obvious. It's either a lazy graphics dept or they don't want to give away the real iPad mini processor info before its shipped!

Says what? You don't even have more than one source. Basically what they're saying is "The numbers on this one A5 chip from this video match one A4 chip from another. ALL IPAD MINI PROCESSORS ARE A4S!"

Look here. Although you can't see the numbers clearly enough to read, they are clearly different than the pictured A4 in the thread.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Well that takes the "most ridiculous conspiracy theory" award for the year...

It's an A5. It's listed as an A5 on the web site (specifically a dual core A5), it was refered to as an A5 at the event, it's an A5 in the shiny metal guts of millions of iPad mins being built and shipped around the world. To do otherwise would a) make no sense whatsoever and b) see a mass lawsuit and the destruction of he brand. It's an A5, period.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
if the mini has 1gb of ram. that will change my mind. i will get one, because after using the iphone 5 with 1gb of ram. never i saw a refreshing safari ever. :D

Wait so whether or not a webpage would sometimes refresh is what you use as a main deciding point of wether to buy a device that costs a few hundred+ dollars?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.