Could the iPhone 7 have 256GB of space?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VertPin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

i think that would be pretty cool, and I'd shell out the money

2. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

Depends on whether it's cost effective for Apple. I'd like to see that kinda storage on the newer iPhones.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think Apple will increase the storage space.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It could (more or less just as much as it couldn't).

5. knownikko macrumors 6502

No, it's just not necessary. The future is the cloud, man! Better to sell you iCloud storage space in perpetuity than a one-time extra hundred bucks to buy a handset with more storage.

6. knownikko macrumors 6502

But really, I'm serious. Gobs of storage on individual devices is going the way of the dinosaur.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

What in the world are you storing on your phone to need that much space?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Pr0n maybe. :D

9. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

There would be no need for it. 2 or 3 years of free iCloud space would great like they did with the GS4.

10. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

Doesn't make sense to have that much space on a phone....

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

128 GB is enough for most people so I don't think that will be happening.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If they're going to increase the space, they'll do it in the iPads first most likely.

Like my 128 GB though.

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Quite a number of iPhone users are digital hoarders. Apple knows this and may respond at some future time.

14. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Can't say yes or no to that question because each use case is different. But I don't see people loading over 128GB of apps. Removable storage is perfect for media related files. I would rather see Apple release very fast over priced proprietary memory cards that work only with iPhone's and iPad's then have a model with 256GB only because it's still a fixed amount of storage; it's never enough for everyone. The same removable storage can be used in the next iPhone. Some of these newer SD cards are hitting 200GB and above for cheap.
    If Nexus devices have SD card support I wouldn't be here.

15. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Yes they will have 256gb. Starting with 16gb then 128 and 256gb options. The apple way!

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I would buy it. I bought the 128GB Sim free 6S+ and my iPad is also 128GB. It's not enough to hold all my music from iTunes but it works.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It could. But the base will still be 16GB

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'd say that's about as likely as a removable battery.

128GB is not huge if you have a lot of music. It's less than the iPod classic. Not everyone wants to faff around with the cloud.

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Forget about the music, people who really care about storage space for all of it have iPods. Not even the base models of the MacBook Pros even have enough storage for libraries anymore.

For me, where the 128 GB of space is useful is storing assets like fonts to use in apps, running workflows to resize stuff, having 10 podcasts sitting in a queue in Castro and not worrying about it, having a decent eBook library, drawing/using layers in Procreate Pocket/Pixelmator/etc, and still having the room and ease of taking a hour of 4K video and editing it down if I wanted to, aswell as storing my photos.

We’re at a point where people find that a bigger phone is better than a tablet. And the solution is not making the iPad or any other tablet more productive, it’s making the phone better suited for tablet-like work. You can get more people to upgrade their phones much faster to begin with.

I just don’t use the cloud. I have never used a computer with a SSD drive yet either, heh. And now they’re changing the keyboards on us!

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I already have a 160GB iPod classic to use in my car but still have a 128GB iPhone and iPad for my music. I don't use the cloud and prefer to have everything physically on my devices. I even bought a MBP with a 512GB SSD for the extra storage. I do have a 4TH HD connected to it for TV shows and movies and my iTunes music library. Your experience is not the same as everyone else's.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No as I don't think apple will think it will ever be needed.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If they offer it I will buy it. Using over 90GB in music and images and do not use the cloud. I could have all my music on my device if they went to 256GB.

Choice is always good so do not listen to the naysayers!;)

23. mlody macrumors 6502a

3 minutes of recording 4k video takes about 1 GB. Add to that some pictures, apps, emails, music and 128GB is not all that much even for people who are not hoarders - plus it is not even full 128gb that is availble on our phones for consumption and more like 110-115gb.

I think 256 is happening, not sure if it will for 7 or 7s but it will happen sooner that many think

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Considering the iPad Pro maxes out at 128GB, I don't think we will see 256GB for a few years, if ever. If anything needs 256GB it is the Pro. Also, doesn't the iPhone still use a single flash chip compared to 2 in the iPad? So that would require a single 256GB chip which is rather expensive still.

25. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

My phone is my primary computer. My laptop is my secondary computer. More storage is always good.

I upgraded my data plan and I now have 1GB overhead. That doesn't stream much media. I can't stream anything when I'm away from a signal, which happens frequently.