Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
i think that would be pretty cool, and I'd shell out the money

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Depends on whether it's cost effective for Apple. I'd like to see that kinda storage on the newer iPhones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It could (more or less just as much as it couldn't).

knownikko

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
No, it's just not necessary. The future is the cloud, man! Better to sell you iCloud storage space in perpetuity than a one-time extra hundred bucks to buy a handset with more storage.

Reactions: VFC

knownikko

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
But really, I'm serious. Gobs of storage on individual devices is going the way of the dinosaur.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Can't say yes or no to that question because each use case is different. But I don't see people loading over 128GB of apps. Removable storage is perfect for media related files. I would rather see Apple release very fast over priced proprietary memory cards that work only with iPhone's and iPad's then have a model with 256GB only because it's still a fixed amount of storage; it's never enough for everyone. The same removable storage can be used in the next iPhone. Some of these newer SD cards are hitting 200GB and above for cheap.
If Nexus devices have SD card support I wouldn't be here.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I would buy it. I bought the 128GB Sim free 6S+ and my iPad is also 128GB. It's not enough to hold all my music from iTunes but it works.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Can't say yes or no to that question because each use case is different. But I don't see people loading over 128GB of apps. Removable storage is perfect for media related files. I would rather see Apple release very fast over priced proprietary memory cards that work only with iPhone's and iPad's then have a model with 256GB only because it's still a fixed amount of storage; it's never enough for everyone. The same removable storage can be used in the next iPhone. Some of these newer SD cards are hitting 200GB and above for cheap.
If Nexus devices have SD card support I wouldn't be here.

I'd say that's about as likely as a removable battery.

128GB is not huge if you have a lot of music. It's less than the iPod classic. Not everyone wants to faff around with the cloud.

Reactions: 5105973

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Forget about the music, people who really care about storage space for all of it have iPods. Not even the base models of the MacBook Pros even have enough storage for libraries anymore.

For me, where the 128 GB of space is useful is storing assets like fonts to use in apps, running workflows to resize stuff, having 10 podcasts sitting in a queue in Castro and not worrying about it, having a decent eBook library, drawing/using layers in Procreate Pocket/Pixelmator/etc, and still having the room and ease of taking a hour of 4K video and editing it down if I wanted to, aswell as storing my photos.

We’re at a point where people find that a bigger phone is better than a tablet. And the solution is not making the iPad or any other tablet more productive, it’s making the phone better suited for tablet-like work. You can get more people to upgrade their phones much faster to begin with.

I just don’t use the cloud. I have never used a computer with a SSD drive yet either, heh. And now they’re changing the keyboards on us!

Reactions: 5105973

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Forget about the music, people who really care about storage space for all of it have iPods. Not even the base models of the MacBook Pros even have enough storage for libraries anymore.

For me, where the 128 GB of space is useful is storing assets like fonts to use in apps, running workflows to resize stuff, having 10 podcasts sitting in a queue in Castro and not worrying about it, having a decent eBook library, drawing/using layers in Procreate Pocket/Pixelmator/etc, and still having the room and ease of taking a hour of 4K video and editing it down if I wanted to, aswell as storing my photos.

We’re at a point where people find that a bigger phone is better than a tablet. And the solution is not making the iPad or any other tablet more productive, it’s making the phone better suited for tablet-like work. You can get more people to upgrade their phones much faster to begin with.

I just don’t use the cloud. I have never used a computer with a SSD drive yet either, heh. And now they’re changing the keyboards on us!
I already have a 160GB iPod classic to use in my car but still have a 128GB iPhone and iPad for my music. I don't use the cloud and prefer to have everything physically on my devices. I even bought a MBP with a 512GB SSD for the extra storage. I do have a 4TH HD connected to it for TV shows and movies and my iTunes music library. Your experience is not the same as everyone else's.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
3 minutes of recording 4k video takes about 1 GB. Add to that some pictures, apps, emails, music and 128GB is not all that much even for people who are not hoarders - plus it is not even full 128gb that is availble on our phones for consumption and more like 110-115gb.

I think 256 is happening, not sure if it will for 7 or 7s but it will happen sooner that many think

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Considering the iPad Pro maxes out at 128GB, I don't think we will see 256GB for a few years, if ever. If anything needs 256GB it is the Pro. Also, doesn't the iPhone still use a single flash chip compared to 2 in the iPad? So that would require a single 256GB chip which is rather expensive still.

Reactions: cmichaelb

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My phone is my primary computer. My laptop is my secondary computer. More storage is always good.

I upgraded my data plan and I now have 1GB overhead. That doesn't stream much media. I can't stream anything when I'm away from a signal, which happens frequently.

Reactions: cmichaelb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.