Could we be looking at a 3G iPhone all wrong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildcardd, Mar 31, 2008.

1. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

A few items over the past week have got me thinking. Maybe we have this idea of a 3g phone all wrong.

What if it is 2 phones that we are talking about.

Phone 1. Update existing iPhone design with 3G. This is possibly the reason for the shortages we are seeing nationwide. Perhaps this gets refreshed very very soon to cover the lack of iPhones.

Phone 2. New iPhone Pro. This is what the ramp up and build for an "advanced" version of the iPhone. We might see this in June. Perhaps have GPS, second camera, OLED, etc.

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

What if?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

because 3G isn't a software update

4. DJJONES macrumors 6502

iphone pro that sounds crazy but i dont think thats likely. i hope the 3g phone isnt a more expensive model or something that would really suck.

5. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't mean it as a software update...update the existing form factor of the iPhone with a 3G chip. Sorry for the confusion.

6. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, I think both would have 3g, but the Pro model would have all the other extras to make it a "pro".

7. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

A second camera? How many people would really need a second camera, but a iphone "pro" would be cool with all these extra features.

ChrisN

9. olternaut macrumors 6502a

Doh! :D

10. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a second camera on the front of the phone for video chat...Kevin Rose was speculating on this rumor.

11. jaybrad macrumors member

iPhone with Edge & 3G

I'm not to keen on cell phone technology, but can't Apple make a new iPhone with Edge and 3G. For instance, if your not in an area where 3G is available the phone will throttle down and use the Edge service? :confused:

I was taking a look at the AT&T 3G coverage map in the U.S. and there is a lot of area not supported for 3G, especially outside of major metro areas.

12. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

3G is backward compatible with EDGE. If you aren't in a 3G coverage area, the phone drops to EDGE automatically.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Must this be reiterated in EVERY thread about 3G?

While we're at it, when Apple puts 802.11n in the iPhone, it will still work with 802.11b/g access points. :confused:

14. jaybrad macrumors member

Class???

Like I said, I'm not up on cell phone technology. Members are posting that Apple might sell a 3G model and a separate Edge model. :cool:

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Apple will NOT sell a 2.5G and 3G iPhone because 3G is capable of 2.5G.

16. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

But ... a 2.5G is not capable of 3G ... hence the "pro" idea. Faster Internet more money, slower Internet less money.

17. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

There may be a brief period of overlapping EDGE and 3G models, but Apple will transition any and all iPhone products to 3G very quickly. They want all the money they can get from handset music sales (and future handset Application sales). People will be much more inclined to download on-the-fly with 3G.

As for the current EDGE users... Apple knows that a fair portion of them will upgrade to 3G; if not on Day 1, certainly before the end of the year (especially if other new hardware features are included).

Apple just better not wait too long... Dads and Grads + Tax Refund (especially important this year) seasons are coming up.

18. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Do you think that existing iPhone users will be offered cheap upgrades to new models?

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

hahahaha

no

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm amazed that some people think Apple are going to release a "pro phone". It's not a unique idea, it's been brought up a few times but it wont happen.

3G is old, they won't charge a premium for old tech. It's completely backwards compatible and only fractionally more expensive than EDGE. It's not some big genius magic chip that warrants a "pro" model...

If this was the case why are EDGE phones already selling out across the US? Sounds to me like they're just not making any more and that there is a new 3G model coming soon.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Maybe apple is going to release 2 new generations of iPhone at the same time? The current iPhone will be the 1G iPhone, the next two are 2G and 3G iPhones?

jk, duh. :D

22. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

My guess: they update the current model to a 3G version with more bells and whistles and then later release a "nano" version that is essentially the guts of the current model stuffed into a smaller package, for cheaper.

23. Malcster macrumors 6502

This is nothing new, virtually all 3G handsets (here in europe atleast and definately in asia) have a second front facing camera. For Apple to do it as well would not be a surprise.

24. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe you didn't get my point. Both phones will have 3G. The "pro" version could have a combination of bells and whistles that we have been hearing about (you know how reliable rumors are). OLED, GPS, Video Chat, etc. are just a few of the possible things that might make a "Pro" version.

And this "pro" version is the one Hon Hai won the contract for and parts have been procured for recently. The rumors peg an initial build of this in May.

I think the "standard" iPhone version is the one that is flying under the radar. This will have 3G and may be coming out very soon.

Remember the invitation to WWDC, Two bridges. While this may reference OSX and iPhone development platforms, it may also refer to the two iphone versions too. (I know, I know WWDC isn't about hardware)

25. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Of course Apple is going to release a "pro phone" or what ever they call it. New models will come with new and better stuff, what else is there to expect? the question is when. And for the record I also think that the 3G will retain the same form factor.