could your recommend me a good point & click dslr

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

hey guys, im looking to get more into photography and hd recording. I caught the photography bug from being on instagram so much..

Im looking to upgrade my iphone 4s soon and also picking up a nice camera for when i travel to take landscape photos and do some nice recording of interviews for music artists i meet, documentaries and eventually music videos.. something between 300-500 dollars.

suggestions?? Love the iphone photography on the 4s but would like to take it to the next level as far as photography.....

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You can't realistically do all that you want for the budget you have. An entry level DSLR will do the landscape photography OK as long as you don't have high hopes like publishing or printing posters. I don't do video, but I've seen some decent shorts done with a Canon 5D Mark2 (a $3000 camera), but video still is the domain of dedicated video cameras.

BTW, there are no "point and click DSLR" cameras. The first bit of advice to anyone moving to a DSLR is to avoid Auto Mode.

In short, you aren't going to find something now that will serve these purposes for the long run. Look at a good point and shoot that does video to get your feet wet. Look at these:

Canon PowerShot SX40

Nikon Coolpix P7100

Canon PowerShot G12

Dale

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Point'n'Shoot does not really describe DSLR cameras. Yes DSLR cameras have automatic controls which really helps but they are also bulkier and more expensive.

As indicated by Designer Dale, a low level DSLR won't provide the professional level shots you desire for landscapes. Think lenses, tripods with specialty heads, etc. Video will also be impacted by your lens choices and a good lens, a really good lens is going to cost more than your entire budget.

Canon makes a good pocket camera but landscapes, especially if you do panoramic shots, will require the manual control more easily accessible on a DSLR than a point-n-shoot.

It sounds like you have competing needs and need to decide how much you will spend to get what you need. The 5D M2 is a good system and has been used to shot TV shows and documentaries. But the body alone is $$$ and then we get back to lenses, steady support, tripods, etc.

Are you doing this for professional results or for your own pleasure as a hobby? Important question because if you are looking for professional results it will require some investment.

Take care,

4. danahn17 macrumors 6502

At your price range, it sadly doesn't exist.

But honestly, if all you are planning to do is just use auto mode, you're negating most of the benefits an SLR gives you. It'd kind of be like you buying an iPhone for ONLY making phone calls.

I do think, based on what you are saying, a micro 4/3 or EVIL camera (Panasonic GF, Samsung NX, Sony NEX, Olympus EP series all come to mind) may do the trick... but even they are still pretty pricey.

However, if you really want to take your photography to the next level, I'd look into taking a photography class at a community college or school or something. You will grow leaps and bounds as a photographer by learning the camera's functions (ie shutter speed, aperature), the composition techniques, and by presenting and critiquing photos. But even buying the best camera in the world won't teach you any of that...

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

I wanna make movies but I only want to spend $300! Man am I glad I grew up when you couldn't get into it shy of $20K.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I agree with Dale. I would probably recommend the G12 over all of the other cameras though.

7. AgRacer macrumors member

The G12 as already mentioned and the new sony HX100V

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_hx100v_review/comments/

both have enough manual control that it will allow you to play if you decide to go beyond the "auto" mode. I know the G12 also shoots RAW and IIRC the Sony does as well.

Both are beyond your basic P&S, but can be used as a P&S.

They also both have many "modes" such as panorama stich modes (you select the mode in the camera menu, then follow the onscreen viewfinder window and take you photos - then the camera stiches them together for you as a panorama).

Both have larger sensors than you average P&S as well and both do HD video.

8. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

seriously what does my budget have to do with anything.. I ve always had a interest in it.. yes I'm glad that technology makes it more affordable now but that doesn't mean I'm not going to put in the work and get good at it.... thanks for your opinion tho..

9. WRP macrumors 6502a

Because $300 will get you nothing if you want to make "documentaries and music videos". There's a hell of a lot more to it than a camera and even at that budget your camera is going to be fisher-price.

10. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would actually like to go back to school for film and photography. My 9 to 5 a network admin is pretty demanding. but hopefully time permits and I can make that happen....

11. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thx dude im smart enough to know that.. if it's fisher price it's fisher price but I'm not dropping 1700. on a dslr. when I'm still learning.. When i first started music production on a mac.. I started on garageband, then logic express. then logic 7, logic 8 and now logic 9.. I just don't jump right in.. Im even working with aperture right now upgraded from iPhoto 8..

12. Policar macrumors 6502a

t2i and a kit lens! A little out of your budget but worth it.

It has the same sensor as the 7d and the video mode is almost as good, IQ is essentially the same (but handling, AF, etc. is much worse--not a problem for landscapes). The 7d is used as a B camera against 35mm film and as an A camera on a lot of huge budget national ads... Recently talked with a grip who worked on an ad lit with a fleet of Arrimax HMIs, I believe, shot with a 7d. The potential is there with that tiny little camera. (Then again, the $17,000 lights make a much bigger difference than the shooting format at that point!)

The 18-55mm IS kit lens is very sharp at 18mm and IS is great; it's a capable landscape lens at the wide end. You'll want to upgrade and add more lenses over time. I have the 17-55mm IS and it's a nice lens but not that big an improvement at the wide end.

That said, a point and shoot is a better point and shoot than a dSLR and you'll need to complement your dSLR with a light kit, microphone, (eventually) better lenses, and reflectors if you really want to turn out decent product. And you'll really need to learn the manual modes, they're actually much more intuitive than the auto modes. And buy these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390 (never read it but everyone loves it)

http://www.tomschroeppel.com/BBad.htm (this book is AMAZING)

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You will need to know what equipment a film school requires, so before you put money down find out what they want you to have.

14. WRP macrumors 6502a

Find a broken canon point and shoot, use the loyalty program and that camera will be right around his budget (20% off refurb prices).

15. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Best of luck to you! :) I hope you can make it happen too :)

That being said, if you are set on the DSLR, I think you should just save up your money for the time being. $300-500 won't get you too far at all. You've done fine with an iPhone for now, what's the rush? You'll get far better mileage looking at used SLRs in the $800+ range...and you'll spend less money overall from frequent upgrading. :)

Oh and if you want a book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Short-Course-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326644490&sr=1-1

I used to TA an intro photo class that used an older version of this book as the course textbook. it was pretty good and covered the basics.

You may also want to start hanging around some photo forums too. I liked dgrin.com but there's a bunch of others out there.

16. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Couldn't think of anything else to say huh?

17. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hey dude. Ignore WRP. He adds no value. You might want to take a look at:

www.betterphoto.com and see if some of their classes are to your liking. I took a few, actually more than a few, and it was beneficial. The prices are not too bad.

On a side note, I did things a bit backwards. I bought the camera, and the lenses first, then decided to learn how to use it. :) Now I don't feel too bad about getting a D4 when they arrive.

18. WRP macrumors 6502a

No, I just get a little saucy when people like me have spent tens of thousands over the years on education, equipment, practice, etc and someone comes in and expects to just do this **** with $300. Not to mention over 12 years on multiple forums giving newbs real advice on how to do this crap for free on my own time because I am nice (I wasn't always WRP).

He physically said he wanted to shoot documentaries and make music videos and his budget was $500 max. You don't think that is a little short sighted? Sorry I didn't stroke his ego and say everything would be ok, it's easier and gets the point across better by mocking him and calling him an idiot.

OP, my day rate is more than your equipment budget. Good luck.

19. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

A coworker got into DSLRs by buying a Nikon D50 and a couple of lenses at a Goodwill store and on EBAY. He had to tinker with them to get them going, but only has about $200 into it. So it can be done. You don't need the latest gear and the photographer is more important than the camera, anyway. However the more expensive equipment is easier to use (once you have learned how). If you intend to end up with that $1700 DSLR eventually, you should go ahead and buy it now as you will save money in the long run and reduce frustration with "difficult" gear. I'll agree with others that if all you want is a "point and shoot" style camera, you don't want a DSLR. You'll get better results with that G12 mentioned, or any of the higher end point and shoot cameras.

20. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

The OP said that he wanted to learn, not compete for your job. Just because he wants to shoot documentaries does not mean that they will be aired on PBS. He needs a camera to learn with and he asked for our advice for something beyond his iPhone and within his budget. Everyone needs a first camera and a little time to see where their interests will take them.

21. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

22. sapporobaby, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Your first point. No one made you be "nice". Next time be a (fill in the blank) like this time and be happy with yourself. Second point, you have no idea how much money he's invested on things. Just might not be photography equipment. Who knows? Third point, have you seen some of the photos taken with the iPhone or the Nokia N8? Decent shots. Not gonna win many awards but the N8 was chosen to do a magazine shoot. Something to think about there. Forth point. Next time don't feel the need to share if you see a post you aren't happy with. Honest, we won't miss it.

23. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I spoke my piece earlier. I think that it is time to get back to advising, nurturing, and advising an enthusiastic newbie.

24. WRP macrumors 6502a

Even though we are in the photography section he specifially asked for something with good video capabilities. For $500 you aren't going to get anything decent with good audio to make documentaries.

If you want an answer OP, find a broken Canon point and shoot, use the Canon Loyalty program (20% off refurb) and get a t2i with a kit lens. It will be right around the ceiling of your budget but it will be the best bang for the buck and it CAN shoot pro quality stuff. Obviously over time you will becomes a lens whore and spend more money on better optics but you can't spend the money on anything better for less.

25. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys ..

I had the chance to use the Canon EOS Rebel T1i today.. Used it at my family's baby shower and took some pretty good shots just messing around with the modes. My brother in law has one and I really like it.. It's comfortable in my hands pretty easy to start off with too. It's in my budget too. I think this one or the g12 is the one i want to get. Thanks for the great suggestions guys...