Couldn't wait any longer... Bye Bye iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Occamsrazr, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Hello Mac Mini.

I bought the cheapest model on tax-free weekend. Put in a $40 8GB ram upgrade. It sings - I had Diablo III, WoW, Photoshop Elements, iPhoto, iTunes, and Safari running simultaneously and saw no slowdowns. No pageouts, either.

Graphics aren't at maximum settings in games, but they're not minimum either and framerates and overall graphics quality is just fine.

2. Mengele macrumors member

Glad you enjoy your year old computer at full-price.

3. tekno macrumors 6502a

Why on earth have you just bought a Mini?? Your post suggests you didn't want to wait any longer for the iMac to be updated, but you've just bought a Mac Mini that is also quite out of date... over a year at least.

4. Skb3735 macrumors newbie

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What model iMac were you using before? The mini seems like a senseless purchase.

6. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

It makes sense if you're set on buying a Pro. New iMacs could come any day now.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What were you on, prior to the Mini?

That is, do you see a huge improvement going with the mini now, instead of waiting for the iMac update

8. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I see lots of negative comments here. If its working you well then I'm glad for you. It will serve you well for most of the software out there. It makes less sense buying the latest greatest machine out there just to use it for web surfing and everyday computing.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^ Agreed, the mini is a very capable machine but it does depend on what the OP's older machine was. Sounds like he probably did is homework though and when the iMac comes out, he could always sell the mini.

10. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

ah the minis are so sexy. I would take one any day of the week if it offered more power.

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The mini is a great option to fill the gap between iMac refreshes if you needed to update / replace your current computer. I needed to move on, and went the MBP route instead. I will be getting the next iMac (or maybe 2013 with Haswell), but needed portability and small investment, therefore the base 13" MBP did all I needed it to do.

Enjoy your mini. Don't listen to the haters. :)

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

or the mini update. This just sounds like someone wanted to minimize how much money they sink due to the relative age of the hardware. Personally I'd avoid such a purchase unless my machine was broken.

13. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

If thats all u require why the heck didn't you buy the current iMac. I mean if the lowest Mac mini is good enough then so is the cheapest refurb iMac. I'm waiting because I'm pushing the hardware and current machines still don't give me the swiftness and snappiness to be 100% efficient. I mean you were waiting for Porsche to release a new model, but since you ran out of patience you went ahead and got a bike instead??? Nice one :D

14. Occamsrazr thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. My machine has been broken since March :-/

Our iPhones are filling up - haven't synced since march.... Once the new iMac comes out, I can either sell the mini or use it for a home theater pc.

15. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

It's not as big a deal for a Mac Mini, though. The 2011 Mini that tickets at $600 is overpriced by what, $80-$100?, in current market value? Less than a 20% haircut is a reasonable economic decision to fill a need, given the circumstance that we haven't had a real refresh. It's not like he spent three grand to max out a 2011 iMac and is going to take a $700-$900 stomach punch in value as soon as the 2012/2013 iMac rolls out.

I ran out of time and downsized from the iMac to the pre-retina MBP, and it's been great, though I still plan to return to the iMac as soon as it makes economic sense to do so (i.e. refresh). In the meantime, for my business, I have bought several used Macs in the past few months and one 2011 Mac Mini Server new, which has performed well up to expectations. If you have to fill a need and can't wait for Apple's arbitrary and capricious release schedule to catch up, you at least want to minimize the total amount of dollars in play, and that means looking at lower-end Macs that cost less but still perform.

16. adamlee macrumors newbie

If you are happy then that's wonderful. Personally I would have waited for an update or bought something refurbished at a lower price.

17. Che Castro macrumors 603

Mac mini gets no love from imac users ?

This war must end

18. glitch44 macrumors 65816

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Paying a full price for 2011 iMac is not exactly sensible option. But it certainly runs circles around current Mini, or even 2012 MBPs

People keep saying they would better off buying 2012 MBP or anything other than 2011 iMac, while in overall spec, the iMac still outperform MBP/Minis.

Makes no sense either.

20. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

21. Occamsrazr thread starter macrumors 6502

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Because it's almost Tuesday morning here in the west coast.

23. tears2040 macrumors 6502

B.S......

People have been saying any day now for 5+ months.... truth is No One will ever know if another imac, mac Mini will be released. a 2011 imac or Mini are still great computers and you pay full price because that is all there is. You can be waiting the rest of your life for the "next" thing....

I prefer to live in the now........

24. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

doubtfu!l :D we would have at least heard something a day before of product numbers etc..

----------

Well, if its a working machine and you need some power then buying a 1.5 years old machine isn't good enough. I live in the now, buy computer needs to be up to date anyway.

25. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

If I needed a new computer tomorrow I'd have no problem buying the 'old' one, whether I'd get a 27" or base model iMac (or Mini) is debatable. I'd seriously consider the cheap one and sell it next year to get the all new 2013 iMac.